NAS for household of windows & mac pc's

danbrumit

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Elkton, MD
I need a NAS that would have a raid setup of some kind. I just want the family pics & videos/music to be backed up, & mirrored so to have a backup of the backup. And I want to be able to access this info via our own personal cloud. Would like to stay under a 1,000.00 Can someone point me in the right direction?

TudorJ

Jul 19, 2011
London UK
I have a Synology 213 and a Netgear Ready NAS. The Synology is much better, has apps for iPhone/iPad, many protocols, has its own iTunes server, will play direct to Apple TV by just using a web interface to start the session and many many more functions.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have an older HP server running Windows 7 Server. I use software to create RAID features, redundancy. I forget the name. In any event, I would second the recommendation for Synology. I have friends who have asked for advice on setting up a Plex server and did a bit of research on servers. Synology was ultimately my choice and they are well under your $1000 cap.

If you are going through the trouble of setting up an NAS, you should consider a Plex setup.

rstick

Nov 26, 2011
If you are somewhat computer savvy and aren't afraid of the command line, you could build a Ubuntu machine and set it up as a server and personal cloud using ownCloud. Among other things.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I've been thinking about this. If I was going to not go cheapo, I think I'd go with a 5 bay Dobro. Seem to get good reviews, and have a pretty flexible RAID setup. You could certainly get a good setup for less than 1K.