NavAssist for Navigon - Quick Address Entry, local search, cut & paste of addresses

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by LiquidZed, Feb 7, 2011.

1. LiquidZed

LiquidZed New Member

NavAssist for Navigon and TomTom

Tired of how much of a pain it is to enter addresses into Navigon and TomTom? Well grab NavAssist and see how easy it can be!

Version 2.2 adds TomTom Support and a dedicated cut and paste button.

Below is the App description from the App Store.

-Jason
    LiquidZed@gmail.com
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/navassist/id416453745
    http://LiquidZed.blogspot.com

Cut & Paste, Local Search and Quick Address Entry for Navigon and TomTom!

**NOTE: This is a Utility App and REQUIRES you to have a Navigon or TomTom Navigation product installed.

NavAssist makes it easier to use your Navigon and TomTom software. You can copy and paste addresses from anywhere, select an address from your contacts (including those with apartment numbers that Navigon can’t handle), or select an address from local businesss search results from within NavAssist. This means no entering address components one at a time to Navigon or TomTom!

For local businesss searches just type in your search query such as "Greek Restaurants" "Grocery Store" or a businesss name and NavAssist will search near where you currently have the map centered! Much more convenient than Navigon and TomTom's built in local search!

Once you have either selected a contact, copy and pasted or searched for a businesss, NavAssist shows you the location(s) on the map that match your search. You just select the location from the map that you want to Navigate to. It’s that easy!

NavAssist Features:
    ✓ Cut and Paste addresses from anywhere (including web pages, text messages and other apps) to launch Navigon and TomTom
    ✓ Local Search centered around whatever map area you currently have selected! **
    ✓ Launch Navigation directly from your contacts (including ones with apartment numbers)
    ✓ Free-form search box that allows almost any form of address entry, including Point of Interest searches such as “Empire State Building”

New Features this release:
    ✓ TomTom Support
    ✓ Dedicated Paste from Clipboard Button

**NOTE: The businesss search uses your current map view to determine search parameters, so you should center the map to your desired search area (or hit the current location arrow for your current location).

Feature requests, bug reports and other suggestions should be sent to LiquidZed@gmail.com
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/navassist/id416453745

2. scottjf8

scottjf8 Member
    Silver

Sounds cool, I'll check it out

3. LiquidZed

LiquidZed New Member

Great! Version 2.0 that supports local search should be released tomorrow or Wednesday. The current version 1.5 supports contacts, cut and paste, and address search.

4. Kieron_j

Kieron_j Member
    Bronze

Does it support UK 7 character postcodes?

5. LiquidZed

LiquidZed New Member

Can you give me an example of an exact postcode to try in "" and I will let you know what my app does? Just PM the postcode to me and I'll edit this message with the answer.

I looked for H&M stores in london to find an address with a 7 character postcode, and found and the following address:
    "29 Long Acre, London WC2E 9LA"

Putting that exact string into my application and it found the address on the map just fine. If that is what you meant by supporting 7 character postcodes. I also tried just putting in just the postcode and it found it no problem.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Looks nice. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

7. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

I'll definitely look into this! I love my Navigon, but there is always room for improvement!

Now if only someone could do the same for Apples bluetooth problem! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

8. LiquidZed

LiquidZed New Member

Version 2.0 should be out in the next couple days which adds local searches to the Application. If you do decide on buying it, any suggestions/comments are appreciated, as well as iTunes reviews.

Thanks!
    -Jason

9. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

Looks nice! I've tried out another similar app for Navigon and I think these can be great utilities. I just wish Navigon would realize how cumbersome the address entry process is to begin with, though.

10. LiquidZed

LiquidZed New Member

NavAssist v2.0 was just released to the App Store!
    This version adds local searches! Now you can cut and paste, type in an address, or select an address from your contacts AND do local searches anywhere and see the results on the map!
    Now using Navigon is a breeze!
    -Jason
    LiquidZed@gmail.com

11. LiquidZed

LiquidZed New Member

NavAssist v2.1 was submitted to the App Store.
    It has a button to zoom to the users current location to make local search much easier. It behaves very similarly to the built in google maps button, in that once you press it, the map center will stay on your current location until you do another search, move the map, etc.
    -Jason
    LiquidZed@gmail.com

12. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Exactly...

Why the heck must we enter an address like we were on a circa 2002 stand alone gps device. Ugh.... And getting to an address from Contacts seems like an after-thought.

Michael

13. LiquidZed

LiquidZed New Member

Thats why I made NavAssist originally. I made it for myself because Navigon was really annoying me with contacts and the local search.

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I like using NavigatefromMap fron Cydia, this is good enough for me but your app looks cool too.

15. scottjf8

scottjf8 Member
    Silver

I have v2.0. Last night in the search I typed in the name of a restaurant and it just sat there. I closed the app, reopened it, same thing.

16. LiquidZed

LiquidZed New Member

Thanks for your email, it helped narrow things down. If anyone else encounters this problem it is because the map is zoomed out too far, so when the local search is being passed to google, it doesn't respond with any results. Version 2.1 should be out today hopefully that will have a button for zooming to your current location, which should help greatly. For version 2.2 I'll put something in that will limit the search range so it doesn't mess google up.
    -Jason
    LiquidZed@gmail.com

17. LiquidZed

LiquidZed New Member

NavAssist for Navigon v2.1

If you own Navigon, you will really like NavAssist for Navigon. It has fully functional local search, cut and paste of addresses, and opening of contacts with apartments, suites, etc in Navigon. It also has a nice familiar maps interface to it. I created this App because I was tired of Navigon's lack of support for the above functionality and decided to solve the problem myself.

Below is a cut and paste from my App description on iTunes.

-Jason
    LiquidZed@gmail.com
    NavAssist for Navigon on the iTunes App Store

Cut & Paste, Local Search and Quick Address Entry for Navigon!

**NOTE: This is a Utility App and REQUIRES you to have a Navigon MobileNavigator product installed.

NavAssist makes it easier to use your Navigon MobileNavigator software. You can cut and paste addresses from anywhere, select an address from your contacts (including those with apartment numbers that Navigon can’t handle), or select an address from local businesss search results from within NavAssist. This means no entering address components one at a time to Navigon!

For local businesss searches just type in your search query such as "Greek Restaurants" "Grocery Store" or a businesss name and NavAssist will search near where you currently have the map centered! Much more convenient than Navigon's built in local search since you can search anywhere, not just near you!

Once you have either selected a contact, cut and pasted or searched for a businesss, NavAssist shows you the location(s) on the map that match your search. You just select the location from the map that you want to Navigate to. It’s that easy!

NavAssist Features:
    ✓ Cut and Paste addresses from anywhere (including web pages, test messages and other apps) to launch Navigon
    ✓ Local Search centered around whatever map area you currently have selected! **
    ✓ Launch Navigon directly from your contacts (including ones with apartment numbers)
    ✓ Free-form search box that allows almost any form of address entry, including Point of Interest searches such as “Empire State Building”

New Features this release:
    ✓ Button to Zoom to Users Current Location to make local search much easier

**NOTE: The businesss search uses your current map view to determine search parameters, so you should center the map to your desired search area (or hit the current location arrow for your current location).

Buy now before it goes back up to full price! Feature requests, bug reports and other suggestions should be sent to LiquidZed@gmail.com

18. Kieron_j

Kieron_j Member
    Bronze

This app makes a mockery of the Navigon input procedure, all I can say is thanks to Jason for making it easier for Navigon users.

If you have bought Navassist, put a review on the app store, I have.

19. scottjf8

scottjf8 Member
    Silver

Hey Jason,

The current version works GREAT for searching now for POI's! I'll test more this week but so far so good.

It even found a POI for a restaurant that is 2 weeks old, and I just tried finding the same POI using the "Google Search" in Navigon, and I got "no POI found."

Well done.

20. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I just purchased this. Will give it a workout when I travel tomorrow!
    Tom