Navigon GPS should be out tonight

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
No zoom in driving mode - Im not 100% sure why you would really need this. The navigation is perfect as it is, I have yet to find the need for zooming in while in driving mode.
I definitely want this. It's something that every GPS I own, or have ever owned, has. During my tests with Navigon it was not perfect for me. In town, for instance, I wanted to zoom in so I could better see side streets as they came up. But soon as I touched the screen it changed to a different view. I just don't like that behavior, that's all.

Start from scratch after phone call, etc - Not altogether true.
I tested this yesterday with both Backgrounder enabled and disabled. Both times I took me right back to my route, it took a second for the app to load but once it did I was right back on my route.
The demo doesn't do this at all without Backgrounder. Sure you didn't have it enabled, as other reviews at the app store are complaining about it.

--
Mike

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I definitely want this. It's something that every GPS I own, or have ever owned, has. During my tests with Navigon it was not perfect for me. In town, for instance, I wanted to zoom in so I could better see side streets as they came up. But soon as I touched the screen it changed to a different view. I just don't like that behavior, that's all.

The demo doesn't do this at all without Backgrounder. Sure you didn't have it enabled, as other reviews at the app store are complaining about it.

--
Mike

Maybe the demo is limited but I know for sure I didn't have backgrounder active because the app itself had to reload with the spinning status icon. But instead of going to the home screen like usual, it picked me back up on my route.

skipere

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I really think it is all depend on where you are( coverage areas) . What type of phone you have ( first gen, 3G , 3GS) will made a different with this app.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I almost pulled the trigger on this one when I saw it in the app store. I had been waiting for Tom Tom. I read the reviews which are fairly mixed so I decided to wait. I have a Garmin too so it isn't an immediate necessity. I just liked the idea of having one less device to lug around. It is too expensive to accept less than stellar performance.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I almost pulled the trigger on this one when I saw it in the app store. I had been waiting for Tom Tom. I read the reviews which are fairly mixed so I decided to wait. I have a Garmin too so it isn't an immediate necessity. I just liked the idea of having one less device to lug around. It is too expensive to accept less than stellar performance.
I wouldn't expect stellar from TomTom either BrownGem. Fact is, these are new apps. Every app is going to need some polish IMO.

That's a good review.

I think I'm willing to hold out a bit before I jump into this app.
From someone who has used the app for a few days now, I don't agree with parts of this review. I don't find the graphics antiquated or the routing poor. He also mentions something about the routing being limited to turn left or right but that isn't accurate. It tells me to turn left in 2 miles. Then turn left in .2 miles, then turn left now.

Anyway, Im very satisfied with Navigon.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I wouldn't expect stellar from TomTom either BrownGem. Fact is, these are new apps. Every app is going to need some polish IMO.

From someone who has used the app for a few days now, I don't agree with parts of this review. I don't find the graphics antiquated or the routing poor. He also mentions something about the routing being limited to turn left or right but that isn't accurate. It tells me to turn left in 2 miles. Then turn left in .2 miles, then turn left now.

Anyway, Im very satisfied with Navigon.
You are probably right Merlin. I will just wait and see how things go with more users before I buy. No telling when TomTom is going to arrive. Thanks for the review.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
For those thinking of Navigon, check out Sygic Mobile Maps too. I've read about several people who seem to prefer it over Navigon. It's $60, and that's not a sale price. I'm thinking of giving that a try, since it's only $10 more than my "upper limit" price, and it seems more in line with what I expect from a GPS. I was going to wait for TomTom but I suspect it's going to be as pricey, if not pricier, than Navigon's non-sale price--especially if you have to get it with the mount thingy (which, believe it or not, I don't want).

Here is a screen shot of Sygic's driving screen:

I really like this driving screen. Easy to see what road you are on, next road, where to be lane-wise, how far along you are, etc. And that is customizable, much like my dedicated GPS units. Easy to press zoom buttons are right at the top, so that's a win for me right there.

Now maybe it's the demo version of Navigon, but below is the kind of screen I get with it, and it just doesn't "pop" for lack of a better word. The side-streets, for instance, are hard to see on a brightly lit day, inside a car, and while driving (gray on gray?). I also don't see the at-a-glance info I am used to from a GPS. Maybe it's just me.

nav2.JPG nav1.JPG

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I pulled the trigger and bought the Navigon app and I couldn't be happier with it. An example would be my route to work. I am South East of where I work, but the route I take, takes you a little farther West than my work, but it is BY FAR the fastest route as its all expressway driving. SOOO.... With google maps, my buddies garmin and his tomtom, they REFUSE to take you this way, but with the "fast" routing of Navigon's app, it takes me the EXACT way that I usually take and it shave's 10 to 15 minutes off the total commute time (I've timed them all).

Not to mention the re-routing is real fast and would be the same way I would take if I missed a turn, the directions are spot on and the visual cues (i.e. exit sign view on expressways, lane position recommendations for upcoming turns) are great!

And if you have a line in for your iPhone/iPod in your car HU like I do, the voice plays over the speakers and is clear as a bell, even with the iPod music still playing (next update will fade music for voice prompts).

For the 70 bucks that I could share this app on my phone and my wife's (so really, 35 bucks a phone), its worth every penny!

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
It's nice to hear some better reviews rolling in for the Navigon. Like Merlin said all these apps will need some polishing up via patches/updates after their initial release.

I really love the look of Sygic's app. so I decided to check out their website. Their app appears to offer all of the features you could possibly want and need in a mobile GPS system.

Now I'm just waiting for some real reviews to come in from people other than App Store reviewers. One person had issues dl'ing the app and gave it 1 star; the only other reviewer gave it 5 stars although they used less than 20 words to review it. :D

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Up till now Ive just been using it on my regular commutes just to test it out, even though I know how to get where Im going. This weekend we used it to go somewhere he haven't been and it was spot on! I mean perfect. Arrival time was dead on, the route was perfect and we never lost the signal. I was very pleased.

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
I have a Navigon receiver in my car, and I have always found it to be on target. I bought this app over the weekend and I am not disappointed in the least: it displays exactly like the receiver and because I am used to the GUI, I found it easy to set. G-Maps is confusing and the provided manual useless since it deals with an earlier version.

Two notes: 1. the voice could be louder, though I managed to hear directions while going at high speed on a highway; 2) there is sometimes a lag when coming to a turn, so that you are almost in the turn before the voice command comes on.

BTW, I do not understand this infatuation with TomTom which is perfectly good but no better, in my experience, than either Navigon or Garmin and which would require me to mount yet another gadget in my car, something I do not want to do.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Two notes: 1. the voice could be louder, though I managed to hear directions while going at high speed on a highway; 2) there is sometimes a lag when coming to a turn, so that you are almost in the turn before the voice command comes on.
Maybe its a configuration thing? Mine is connected to my head unit via bluetooth. At first, the voice commands werent coming over the speakers at all. I started some music, then went back into Navigon and then the voice commands were coming over the music. I even had to turn them down in the settings menu.

Also, about the lag, maybe thats a coverage thing. I didn't notice any lag at all on multiple uses so far.

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
I just tried it with my bluetooth headset, and it works. The app will also play over FM when I have the phone connected via the transmitter I have plugged into the cigarette lighter. I think it is very workable and reliable and can recommend it.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I would consider myself I gadget freak. I have low end NAV units (I don't need all the bells and whistles). I have a Tom Tom XL330, a Garmin Nuvi 200 and I have one that came with my car. The reason I have the portable units are because I travel to Florida often and sometimes I use my parent's car.

I downloaded NAVIGON just to test it out (I haven't paid for it yet). I was using the ATT app but that one was pretty featureless though it did lock onto the GPS signal with no issues. The traffic data it had was wrong half the time. It was really bad on battery life because the map data had to be constantly downloaded. The phone would get pretty hot and at some points wouldn't accept a charge due to the heat. I deleted the APP last night and modified my account online accordingly.

So far, I am very pleased with the NAVIGON app. I agree with many people that it is overpriced. How can you charge $70 for software (soon to be $100) and get a refurb Tom Tom with updated maps for $67?!

Back to my review. The software does take long to load (30 seconds maybe) and I always free up memory with an APP I have because this APP is a memory hog. Once the software is loaded (I have a 3G), the choices are responsive and not lagging in any way. I think the graphics are excellent, the flow of the car (arrow icon) is smooth and accurate. The voice is pretty clear if you don't have the windows open and your radio isn't too loud. If you need to hear what the voice said, you can tap the lower left arrow and she will repeat her instructions. I have no idea why everyone is so into this text to speech crap. First off, half the time the pronunciation of the street is wrong. What is wrong with right turn in 400 feet? You see the graphic of the turn. What more do you want?

The software does have a beta feel to it because it is lacking so many things that should have been included. There is no way to see a list of the roads you'll be traveling on your journey. There is a simulation mode, but I haven't played around with that yet. I am not overly concerned with the POI database because I have google maps to refer to if I need to look up something. It would be nice to have that integration so you wouldn't have to rely on their database which is outdated as soon as it is published. At least google updates their stuff in realtime (or close to it).

As far as receiving a phone call, here is what happens. If you are navigating to a specific location (not just using the app as a moving map), the app will close and the phone call will take over. After the completion of the phone call the APP will resume on its own and continue where it left off. This is how it worked with me and I don't understand why others are claiming that the software doesn't resume. There are some bugs to point out. If you decide to take a different route and the software re adjusts to your modified route, it will NOT continue to give voice instructions. You will see the highlighted orange route with turns and visual guidance, but no voice. I can't figure out why. There is also a bug with the favorites. I added some and they disappeared. Someone else mentioned this too.

Overall, if I had paid for this software I'd be displeased. It is definitely a work in progress and the top price should be $39.95. Lastly, the issue with GPS fix. If the APP does not have a GPS signal (or it is weak) you will see a red band at the top of the screen. When you load the APP for the first time, be patient. It may take upwards of ten minutes to get a GPS signal. Subsequent use will result in much less signal acquistion time. I would NOT want this to be my sole navigator because during my 40 mile trip today, I lost the signal a few times during crucial parts of the drive (lots of turns). If I was not familiar with the area, I would have gotten lost and had to wait for the signal to be reacquired and then be rerouted (losing time). I did read that in order to optimize signal reception it is advised to remove your case. I have a Griffin case with the close up lens adapter. It is made of plastic. How can plastic hinder the acquisition of the signal. I'll amuse myself tomorrow and remove the case for the heck of it. Sorry to say, but if I were you, I'd hold off on this purchase until they get these bugs worked out. I can't see how they are going to sell many copies when the price goes to $99. That price point is just not realistic. Well, I've babbled on here too much. Sorry for the length of this post and if you're still reading, I thank you for taking the time to do so.

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
DJWindsor: very nice write-up, your observations are accurate. Bear in mind that I would lose the signal on my standalone Navigon at times (for which I paid $200+ a little more than a year ago). When it comes to price, however, I think you (and others) are off the mark. For the moment this is a going price for such software: ATT and G-Maps cost even more, and TomTom is projected to be a lot more which has not prevented many on this site and elsewhere from lining up for it. As one of my wife's businesss school professors maintained you charge what you can get: just look at all the comments on Navigon in the AppStore and see how many have bought. Of course, the standalone device is cheap, it is not selling that well and hence is discounted everywhere (Garmin and Navigon have been in Costco for months). This GPS allows you to dispense with yet another piece of hardware. So, unlike you, I can accept the price which eventually, as it does in this industry, will drop.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I have no idea why everyone is so into this text to speech crap. First off, half the time the pronunciation of the street is wrong. What is wrong with right turn in 400 feet? You see the graphic of the turn. What more do you want?
I want the obvious: streets pronounced, like my other GPS units.

What is wrong is if you are on a busy road, with lots of side-streets, there is a.) no way to safely look at the screen and b.) a good possibility there are streets close together. I don't care how bad the speech pronunciation is, I can still understand the difference between Kennedy Ave. and Washington Blvd. It's helped me many times.

Moreover, text to speech can be particularly helpful if the GPS is either lagging, or providing prompts too soon. If it says "left in 400 feet" and it's not actually 400 feet, and worse there is another street in 400 feet, text to speech is invaluable.

If all I did was drive in rural areas, with widely spaced intersections, I might feel differently.

In any event Navigon must care about it, as they have stated it will be added.

As far as receiving a phone call, here is what happens. If you are navigating to a specific location (not just using the app as a moving map), the app will close and the phone call will take over. After the completion of the phone call the APP will resume on its own and continue where it left off. This is how it worked with me and I don't understand why others are claiming that the software doesn't resume.
I use my iPhone to not just take calls, but to make them too. Switch to the phone app and the navigating is done, at least with the demo version of Navigon that I tested.

Same thing happens in the demo I have when a call comes in--just tested it. But I understand the paid version doesn't do this, at least for received calls.

Either way I'd say any GPS on the iPhone is a whole lot better if you run Backgrounder.

Also, how are some of you getting a fully functioning trial version? The demo I have isn't very good at all. The only naviagting that it does is "simulation" and I suspect it isn't even using the full screen.

--
Mike