Navigon GPS should be out tonight

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
My responses to some of your comments:

RE: Pricing. The price is right if you get your money's worth. At this juncture the Navigon is a work in progress and should be priced a little less. I'd have no problem spending 70 bucks if it did what it is supposed to do.

RE: Text to speech
I guess I'm spoiled by the unit in my car. It does NOT have TTS but the visual queues given are more than you need to realize where you have to turn. It also shows you on the screen the name of the street you have to turn on to. If you do not want to take your eyes off the road, then TTS is nice (all NAV units will have it eventually). I just laugh at some of the ways it pronounces some of the names. Quite comical. If you've ever been to Hawaii you know the names of streets there are somewhat difficult to pronounce. I would LOVE to hear the Garmin try and pronounce Kalakahula Avenue! LOL!

Okay... here is some information for people that have purchased Navigon and are not pleased with their purchase. First of all, don't believe for a second that you can't get your money back. You can and I have already received credit for a purchase I made because it kept crashing. It was Sim City 3 and before 3.0 it would crash all the time. Apple was very nice and gave me a full refund. I tried dealing with EA (the software writer) and they were a bunch of schmucks. I still have the software on my MAC and resynced it when I upgraded to 3.0 and now the software works fine. I don't feel guilty because EA really were jerks about the whole process. Apple does forfeit their 30% cut but they really do try and please the customer. I have the emails to prove it, but I am sure you guys believe me.:eek:k:eek:k:eek:k:eek:k SO, if you're unhappy with spending $70 and it is not working for you, contact Apple.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
So we used Navigon yesterday and had a not so great experience. We mapped to some water park for the kids.
First problem, Navigon couldnt find the address I gave it. So we were stuck with picking the next closest thing. We used my wifes phone this time and I had google maps running on mine just in case. The combination of the 2 got us where we needed to be.
Second problem, GPS lost signal a couple of times. This has yet to happen on my 3Gs but for some reason hers lost signal 3 times on our trip.
Third problem, sound was very low. This also isn't a problem on mine, but mine is connected via bluetooth to my head unit. We run my wifes through a HK Drive + Play unit and for some reason, we had a really hard time hearing the directions. The audio setting was set to as high as it goes.

So far, Im still pleased with it, but this experience left a bad taste. If we didn't have google maps running as well, we wouldn't have found this place. Not good. My wife drives the kids around a lot, I bought this for her so she would be safer on the road and be able to find her way around better, not the case yesterday.

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
Every address I have put in has been accepted, including one in NYC for a street that did not exist 8 years ago, and is not recognized by my year-old Navigon receiver. I think that is the advantage of an ATT-type gps, whose maps get updates transmitted regularly. I think TTS is critical: I don't want to have to look at the map at all, which can be dangerous.

Please remember that this is a first version and that free updates will provide what many of us are looking for. Compare this Navigon to the two other available gps apps and it is clear that it is much better.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
What is "Backgrounder"?
It's a utility that allows processes (applications) to keep running while you are in another application. It is only available for phones that are jailbroken.

I use it quite a bit, especially when listening to Pandora. There is nothing worse than listening to a song on Pandora, then the phone rings or a text message is received. At that time, Pandora shuts down and you have to go back, restart it, and find your station again.

Last edited by a moderator:

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I figured I'd throw my $0.015 in here. I was originally waiting to buy the TomTom app because I wanted their window mount with the accessories. Well my fiance and I have been house hunting and the AT&T network has been really sh*tty recently trying to use the internet where I've never had issues before. So I kept saying just give me the address and I'll use google maps. Well between google maps not having quite a few of the roads (I ended up trying mapquest for a while because it did) and AT&T sucking I pulled the trigger. I really needed the GPS with the built in maps.

So now that I've given the back story I must admit I'm impressed with the Navigon app. I've never had any issues hearing the directions, they are quite clear and give plenty of advanced warning. I'm running the iPhone through my car stereo and have the Navigon app running while listening to music from the iPhone and haven't missed a direction yet. It has found every address I've put in and gotten me there with good directions. I have yet to loose GPS on my 3GS so I can't comment on that.

Now for a couple things that I don't like. The app is obviously not using the built in compass on the 3GS. When starting out the trip I've been facing the wrong direction a few times until I started moving then it figured out how I was going. It did the same thing when I stopped and took a different turn from the one on the route. It would be a huge improvement if they started using the compass. They could also use it so help track if GPS was temporarily lost for a small period of time.

The audible warnings for speed are nice but a little annoying. I have them set only because in VA the cops are real jerks if you are speeding. But you can turn them off which I do when I'm anywhere else.

Overall I say if you have the $70 and need a GPS pull the trigger, it's a good investment.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I also realized today that even if you have the volume completely up in the application you still have to the have the ipod volume (the volume if music was playing) all the way up as well. I found that out when I didn't hear an alert. I set the ipod volume way up and the alerts were nice and loud coming from the iPhone speaker.