Navigon released 1.2 in App Store

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
For those who are interested in third party navigation apps with driving directions, Navigon 1.2 has been released in the App Store.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I saw it last night (it popped up as an update but the page for it in iTunes was still reporting 1.1). The text to speech is nice (though it's never been a huge put off for me not having it). The iPod function is pretty sweet I'm a huge fan of that since I'm usually listening to my ipod when I'm using navigon. Now if they could just let us see the whole route and traffic I'd be in heaven.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
The update is nice. The voice is slightly different, I kinda miss the v1.1 lady's voice. The TTS is pretty good, but since it takes longer for the prompt to be "spoken", the app is telling you to turn as you should be turning. It still gives the warning that the turn is coming up, so it shouldn't be an issue, but you got to be on your toes... as the saying goes.

The ipod feature works great, but is a bit confusing at first. It doesn't let you just pick an album or playlist as its set up like you were adding songs to a playlist (the + button is next to all the song/album/playlist names), so what you do is touch the "select all" at the top of the list in an album or playlist and it starts to play like normal. It doesn't add any crazy playlists to your ipod, so don't worry that every album you play is going to add another playlist to your list, cause it doesn't. I'm assuming that this unusual way of starting music has something to do with how the SDK limits access to the ipod from within an app.

I haven't tried the auto night/day yet, but I'm not too worried about that, so overall... once you get the hang of how it works now, its like 10x better than it was! Only if it could control the phone app from within....

Jan 6, 2009
I am really pleased w/ the update to Navigon! However, in either version, I have not understood how to change the time of arrival, miles to go, etc. display while navigating. The reviews speak of being able to tap something on the screen and you can toggle between three different displays w/ varying information. I have tapped everywhere and it only changes to a 2D display w/ a Set Destination button on the bottom of the screen. (What does Set Destination do when I am already in Nav mode toward a destination?) When I tap the Done button it returns me to the 3D mode.

Does anyone know how this three mode toggle works?

Thank you...

Jun 30, 2009
The update is good. I have seen it yesterday. It contains a few new features but those are really very useful. At first it seemed little bit complex to handle but after a while it became easy. More faster than the previous one.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I am really pleased w/ the update to Navigon! However, in either version, I have not understood how to change the time of arrival, miles to go, etc. display while navigating. The reviews speak of being able to tap something on the screen and you can toggle between three different displays w/ varying information. I have tapped everywhere and it only changes to a 2D display w/ a Set Destination button on the bottom of the screen. (What does Set Destination do when I am already in Nav mode toward a destination?) When I tap the Done button it returns me to the 3D mode.

Does anyone know how this three mode toggle works?

Thank you...
In the previous versions you tapped in the black bar at the top (where it display the MPH) and it should change. However in this version I think you can enable that information to show all the time in the bottom (via a setting) in which case tapping the top black bar doesn't change anything anymore.

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Anyone having problems with Navigon 1.2 and the built-in ipod functionality. Everything works but my Podcast tab. I click on it and it doesn't show any of my Podcasts. On the other hand when I click on iPod outside the app. my Podcasts are there. Weird? I am also running iPhone OS 3.1. The old iPhone OS 3.0 seems to work fine.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I finally had a day to evaluate the 1.2 version of Navigon. I must say, the graphics are spectacular but I still think there are bugs to be ironed out. Here are the issues I had today. Before I go any further, I think it would be prudent for me to point out that I have a 3G 8 gig JB iPhone.

1- The program really needs lots of memory to run and since I am JB I have an indicator at the top which shows the amount of memory after the program loads. It fluctuates between 5-9 meg which is not much and when at 5 meg things get mighty slow when using the menus.

2- TTS is pretty good however sometimes it cuts out (doesn't complete the sentence). The audio directions are still hit or miss for me. Sometimes she's chatty, other times she is quiet. Her accent sounds like someone from NY, but not too pronounced.

3- Signal loss is still an issue even in an environment that would favor good reception (clear unobstructed view of the horizon, no trees & buildings). It didn't happen too often, but when it did occur it was annoying.

4- The routing is sometimes questionable. I'm fortunate that I know where I'm going because she wanted to take me on an adventure today.

5- Program crashed on me twice today. I have no idea why.

6- Since it is such a memory hog the input and UI is quite sluggish. I would definitely think this would be a non issue on a 3GS phone.

7- Still quite annoying that detours are very limited in scope. You either can do .5 or 1 mile. I haven't seen any other way of detouring.

8- The spoken directions are too late. I don't need to hear turn left on Queens Blvd when I'm already rolling out of the turn at 20mph.

9- In the option setup screen there is a choice for the type of route (short, optimum etc). The program should allow you to choose this on the fly when preparing a route. It is a pain to have to go into the setup screen to toggle between the two.

10. Still no route summary? That's really important to me and I tried looking all over the place and could not find it.

Overall, I'm impressed with the great graphics, the fluid movement of the car and the icons representing logos of restaurants, stores, gas stations, coffee houses etc. OTOH, the short comings mentioned above prevent me from recommending this to anyone. I'm switching back to the more stable Tom Tom. I really hope Navigon continues to update their software because it has great promise. I still would like to test this software on a 3GS that is not JB. My issues may be due to the fact that my phone is JB and possibly conflicting with other software. This has not been the case with TT.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
^ive contemplated getting navigon for my iPhone instead of replacing my full navi unit (busted my screen on a new navi unit) for a month or so now. I really need navigation everyday and the iPhone maps really sucks.

Some of your concerns would be big concerns for me too, and Im almost thinking about just buying a regular unit. What are some of the benefits of having navigon over a regular unit?