need a bit of pursuasive advice :)

blarghonk

Bronze
Apr 22, 2009
I just added my best friend onto my account, and he's within his time frame to get a 3g-s, but get a load of this? He doesn't want to get the 3g-s, and wants his $100 off the 8gb iPhone... I offered to GIVE him my 16gb, and still give him the $100 he would have gotten in the first place, in order for him to get the 3g-s and give it to me. He won't bite. Does anyone have any advice for getting him to bite on my 16gb? it'll end up in an extra $200, but that's a lot better than 5 or 6.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Does that mean he gets the 8GB for free plus $100 from you? He's stupid not to take that deal. You are sort of stupid to offer it. Just have him read this and he'll come around. People always wise up after I call them stupid.

If your 16GB is in good condition, don't upgrade it to 3.0. You should be able to get an easy $300 for it from someone who wants to unlock it. Sell it on eBay.

blarghonk

Bronze
Apr 22, 2009
no, he'd get my used 16 for $100. He can't keep the 8 that he just got and still get the discount for the new iphone-s. I'd give him $100 for what he would have gotten in a discount, and $100 in what it'll cost me for the exchange price for the 16 iPhone 3g-s. I had 2.2.1, so it can't be unlocked anyway, can it? I thought 2.2.1 attached the firmware to the baseband of the phone. Plus, if I were to give him my 16, it'd become pretty difficult to sell it on ebay.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
So he pays you $100 for a used 16 gig 3G iPhone. That really might not be that good a bargaining chip for you. You can get a brand new 3G 16 gig iPhone for $149. Getting a used one the $50 cheaper isn't that great. Now, no contract, unlocked and jailbroken will get you much more for you phone...*Hint Hint*

blarghonk

Bronze
Apr 22, 2009
So he pays you $100 for a used 16 gig 3G iPhone. That really might not be that good a bargaining chip for you. You can get a brand new 3G 16 gig iPhone for $149. Getting a used one the $50 cheaper isn't that great. Now, no contract, unlocked and jailbroken will get you much more for you phone...*Hint Hint*
He doesn't know that the 16 is 149, he just thinks the 8 dropped in price. I really don't think he's going to bite. I could always do ebay i guess. Based on what I've learned in the past 3 months with the betas, carrier setting files, etc., i guess finding an old copy of the unlockable firmware won't be that hard?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Whatever you do, be completely up front and honest with him (for your friendships sake). The 3G's may only be $99 or $150, but the low cost is because they come with a 2 year agreement. They go for a lot more on ebay because they are unlocked and commitment free.

So, to unlock it you'll first need to make sure you can downgrade the base band if you are on 2.2.1. If you are on 2.2, it will be definitely be unlockable.

What FW version are you running?
Is your phone already jailbroken?

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I agree, its better to be up front and honest with him regarding the situation. Is he not wanting to go along with your plan, because then he would get stuck with a used phone? If so, I would just tell him that you compromised by adding him on to your account, and he is saving money by splitting the cost of the plan (I assume thats the idea).

My question is, why didn't you get this hammered out before hand? I would hate to see you get stuck with an add on account.

blarghonk

Bronze
Apr 22, 2009
i tried being honest. no dice. Also, i'm running 3.0. So, I don't think unlocking will be an option.

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
wanna be persuasive? I guess you could tell him you will term his account and then he wont have any phone or 100.00....

Kosmic 3

Jun 28, 2007
^^^^lol that's the way to go....nah j/k. If your iPhone is in PERFECT condition you can get $300 for it from gazelle.com. If it isn't in good condition go online anyways and choose from poor, fair, good, and perfect conditions and see what they give you for it. I have used them 6+ x's to get $ to buy a newer phone!

CJisohsocool

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
I just added my best friend onto my account, and he's within his time frame to get a 3g-s, but get a load of this? He doesn't want to get the 3g-s, and wants his $100 off the 8gb iPhone... I offered to GIVE him my 16gb, and still give him the $100 he would have gotten in the first place, in order for him to get the 3g-s and give it to me. He won't bite. Does anyone have any advice for getting him to bite on my 16gb? it'll end up in an extra $200, but that's a lot better than 5 or 6.
Oh Oh OH! i know what to do! Tell him do as you say or he can get his own damn phone plan. :]