Need a rec for a Mac purchase...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMerlin, Aug 10, 2008.

1. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member
    Silver

So I decided Im going to drop some coin and pick myself up a Mac. My primary reason for buying it is so I can play around and develop some iPhone apps. Not to mention Ive always wanted a Mac so why not...

When I do something, I gotta do it right... so I think Im gonna get a Mac Book Pro. Since I want to develop apps I know I will need the SDK. But what else might I need for the Mac? Ive read a lot about xcode, do I need to buy that also or is that something that comes with the SDK?
    Also, would it benefit me to get more ram or memory for making apps, how processor intensive is it? I don't even know if the Mac Book Pro can be upgraded like that.
    I also thought about getting a iMac but I like the portability of the MBP.

Anyway, Im just looking for some opinions before I drop close to 3 grand. Any other expenses Im not thinking about?

Thanks

2. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member
    Gold

XCode is a standard developing tool for OS X; it comes with the iPhone SDK and is placed, along with everything else, inside the Developer folder. From my experience with the SDK, it does not require much memory at all, just the same as running any other app. Nonetheless, it always helps to have more memory. My MacBook has 2 GB of memory, yet I ran the SDK fine on my 512 MB memory Mac Mini. And other than the Mac itself and the fee to join Apple's Developer Program, the SDK and developing with it is free.

3. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member
    Silver

Thanks for the response John. I thought the SDK was 100 bucks? Or is that only if you want to submit the app for sale?

So how do you like your mac book? Im completely new to Macs other than some minimum exposure in college.

4. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member
    Gold

You can sign up as a developer for free on Apple's website, and then in turn download the SDK - currently a 1.25 GB download. However, in order to submit apps you must pay a fee. It was $90 when the SDK launched, but I'm not sure what it is now.

I love my MacBook. I previously had a MacBook Pro, but I dropped it off our deck and it shattered. It has 2 GB of RAM and runs like there's no tomorrow. OS X, is of course, amazing as well - you can say goodbye to fear of viruses, anti-spyware software, and pop-ups demanding you buy that software. The design is amazing too; just icing on the cake.

5. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member
    Silver

Im starting to get excited which is a bad thing. Usually that means more crap to buy!

6. Elbacanazo920

Elbacanazo920 New Member
    Bronze

You'll enjoy it but also keep in mind that there are rumors of "Updates" to Macbooks and iPods in september.

7. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member
    Silver

Thanks Elbacanzo. Up until now I had not heard about that. I really haven't been paying attention to that though.
    I think Im going to hold off until then so Im not one month behind! I would be really mad if I drop close to 3 grand on the MacBook Pro only to be outdated a month later.

8. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Get more memory for development, I would splurge on 4GB. You will want to switch apps and spaces a lot, and may even use a VM for some testing. My MBP is a great platform for development and handles load well.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

9. aenti

aenti Zealot
    Gold

It is going to be cheaper if you upgrade your MBP yourself. Any upgrade done apple-style will cost you out the wazoo.

10. jUeLz23

jUeLz23 Member
    Bronze

yeah i was one of those also that was going to purchase one this month...
    but i put it on hold to see what comes in september.

11. aenti

aenti Zealot
    Gold

By the way, are you sure you will need a MBP? I'm sure developing for iPhone won't need such a costly upgrade.

Just trying to save you some coin iMerlin.

12. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I would be careful about getting a less powerful system. Developing on a weenie machine is a pain in the ass, even though it will work. Remember, you will be running a code editor, a compiler, an iPhone emulator and more than likely other stuff as well.

Just my opinion from developing software since 1986 ;)

13. aenti

aenti Zealot
    Gold

Haha, go for a higher powered system then.
    But wouldn't an upgraded MB be just as useful as a MBP?

14. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

It may, I'm not that familiar with them. Memory and CPU are most important to me, followed by screen real estate.

15. HBOC

HBOC New Member
    Bronze

you can also get a $200 student discount as well...

16. aenti

aenti Zealot
    Gold

Yes, if you are a student going into college. Which I don't think iMerlin is (but he could be?).

17. NateEssex

NateEssex New Member
    Bronze

Do you know any teachers? They also get the discount :)

I have a MBP and love it. One of the big differences is the video card you get over a MBook. It was worth it for me.

18. iChristian

iChristian New Member
    Bronze

if i were you, i'd wait for september to roll around the corner because there are rumors that there will be a new line of macbooks/macbook pros.

19. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member
    Silver

Yeah, Im definitely gonna wait, I just hope September is for real. You know how Apple rumors are. And nothing has been confirmed yet, right?

Initially I thought I would just be doing SDK stuff and Upload is right, there is a lot going on even when developing a simple app.
    Not to mention, I love Photoshop. I thought it was crazy expensive to buy (needless to say Ive been living in a free-app world for some time now). Anyway, you guys were talking about discounts. Well I work for a partner company to Apple so we get a discount on the MBP. Then since Im also a student (online counts aenti! :laugh2: ) I can get the Adobe creative suite for $399. Normally goes for something like $1200. Well since I found that out, I figured Ill need more power if Im going to be running a lot of Adobe apps.
    Not to mention, Ive bought 4 PCs in my life and never spent the extra coin to upgrade and was always disappointed later.

Another question for you guys though. Did anyone upgrade their screen? isn't there a couple different screen options, like glossy and matt, and high-res glossy and matt? I keep picturing my iPhone before my anti-glare screen and how I hated those fingerprints and how I am willing to sacifice some resolution for not having to clean my phone constantly... but... Im not going to be putting my big ole paws all over the MBP screen so... I cant decide!

20. iChristian

iChristian New Member
    Bronze

Wait till September. Bigger and better things to come.