Need Advice! iPhone or Blackberry

obbigood

Aug 5, 2009
Hi all,

I'm in dilemma between buying an iPhone or Blackberry. I know I can compare the specs, but I want more actual reviews, esp from experts here.

Thanks

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
NP that was deep!:sneaky:

I got the iPhone and my honey has my old 3G and her work BB. So my 2 cents is that the BB probably does businesss stuff better as far as syncing to groupwise email or whatever. But with jailbreaking who knows. I know she never surfs or plays games on the BB. that's for sure better on the iPhone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If you want email and you enjoy a QWERTY physical keyboard, then go BlackBerry. If you want desktop like apps, a rich web browsing experience along with a great multi-media device, then go iPhone.

You can do more with the iPhone. The BlackBerry does email, but it does it well.

FWIW, I use both. (but not at the same time);)

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I use Yahoo mail on my iPhone and it does great with folders and all. It is very fast and I have it check for new mail every 15 minutes. I'm not sure if push works with YM yet or not.

obbigood

Aug 5, 2009
Well, seeing how this is a iPhone forum, I heartily recommend the iPhone.
precisely, i'm leaning more towards an iPhone.
however, my hesitation is due to i'm not a mac user nor itune, hehe.
anyone here using iPhone and microsoft system without any hindrances?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The iPhone is a good all round phone. There are draw-backs, but what phone doesn't?

If you get an iPhone, i'm sure you'll stick with it- well at least until your contract finishes ;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Windows iPhone users outnumber Mac iPhone users, so you'll be fine. I've used an iPhone with Windows since the iPhone was released. No problems.

I used iTunes to sync to Outlook and it worked great. But I finally gave in and got a MobileMe account. Wow, it works great. So now Outlook and iPhone both sync to the MobileMe cloud. Works great.

--
Mike

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I use a PC most of the time and no issues.

Well, no issues with using the iPhone with a PC. Now I, on the other hand...

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Saverino, a member here, is a phone addict and he'd be the best to compare the benefits and downfalls of both the BB and iPhone. He has had numerous BBs and also uses the iPhone, as well.

Hopefully, he will chime in.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Being the Gadget Guru that I am. iPhone user, Palm Pre user, BlackBerry user. I would say go with the iPhone. The BlackBerry has lots of bells and whistles menu and function wise. The iPhone just offers a better all around experience though.

Email and Security of course are the biggest draws to a BlackBerry. People just don't buy phones for only those uses anymore. Web browsing on a BlackBerry and mostly anything else web base is horrible on a BlackBerry. I have a BlackBerry mainly because it has taken the place of businesss cards. The saying used to go you can't do businesss without a businesss card. Now it is you can't do businesss without a BlackBerry. I think that is more of a mind thing than anything.

The iPhone handles all tasks very well with a much friendlier user experience. I agree with Tinman on MobileMe. I have used MobileMe from the start of MobileMe and it works great. You get push email, wireless sync to all your devices, find my phone (which works very well), the ability to access documents remotely and a whole host of other goodies.

I can only give my opinion. I have had basically every mobile device on the market and certainly all the "heavy hitters" as of late. The iPhone is KING! There is no doubt about that. You will love the iPhone, trust me. Mark

rarity

Bronze
Nov 9, 2008
Sunshine State
What are you looking for in a device? I'm a prior bb user and love my iPhone. I can't see myself using anything else.

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
I have experienced both phone, the answer for u will be depend on what u need the phone for. If you are using it for fun, web browsing, multimedia experience then the answer is very obvious.. Go for iPhone.

If you are using it for work, then it depend on how you need it for work. BB is great in handling exchange mail, and so does iPhone. Each phone has plus & minus, for BB you need to pay for the service and no calendar sync. For iPhone, it lack the attachment edit and attach function, which are very sad because sometime I really need to do some editing on the go..

Hope you get what suit you well!

obbigood

Aug 5, 2009
First of all, thanks for so many advices! Its been really helpful for me to choose.
I see few post about the uses of the phone, well, i need a phone mainly is for some work on the internet, like email sync...etc.
BB wins as a miniature laptop, whereas iPhone more on style and all round, is this correct to sum it up?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Just buy the iPhone.

You will not regret it.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
First of all, thanks for so many advices! Its been really helpful for me to choose.
I see few post about the uses of the phone, well, i need a phone mainly is for some work on the internet, like email sync...etc.
BB wins as a miniature laptop, whereas iPhone more on style and all round, is this correct to sum it up?
I would call the iPhone a mini Laptop before I would call a BlackBerry one. The BlackBerry's poor web experience seriously puts a damper on all it's other features. The iPhone can do mail and web much better. Mark

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I agree with Mark. The iPhone is much closer to a mini laptop than a BB. I have an 8" Acer laptop for web surfing while on the couch and I find myself using it less and less and my iPhone more and more.

palmbsea

Aug 6, 2009
iPhone vs blackberry

I had a BB and loved it and switched to an iPhone.

No question, the iPhone is better as a browser and as a single device to carry for everything (camera, gps, music, etc.).

The BB was better as a phone - part of this is the better integration of the phone/texting/email and physical keyboard and, part of this was that I was on Verizon. In my area (MI/OH/IN/IL), there is no question that the big V has much better 3g coverage (or coverage at all). I drop calls every few days with the iPhone and really never had a problem with Verizon except deep inside buildings. There are large gaps in ATT's 3g -- for example, Bloomington, IN, home of Indiana University - clearly Apple territory- has no 3g at all. On the road between Indianapolis and Bloomington, you even lose EDGE. Of course, where you live, the opposite might be true.

After my 30 day trial and looking at my usage, I felt that ATT was adequate as a carrier and that I use my phone much more as something other than a phone so I kept the iPhone.

BBs are very different by carrier. A BB curve is available on just about everyone by now... however, 1 carrier will have wifi, one will not have 3g, one will have unlocked gps...you need to be careful to check.

obbigood

Aug 5, 2009
I would call the iPhone a mini Laptop before I would call a BlackBerry one. The BlackBerry's poor web experience seriously puts a damper on all it's other features. The iPhone can do mail and web much better. Mark
I agree with Mark. The iPhone is much closer to a mini laptop than a BB. I have an 8" Acer laptop for web surfing while on the couch and I find myself using it less and less and my iPhone more and more.
Thanks, after this 2 advices, I think i've decided to get an iPhone and join u guys!
But last question, should I get iPhone 3GS or the old model? I read somewhere, the battery is better with the newer one, is it true?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I wouldn't say the battery in the 3GS is "better" but the device itself is. Way better. Get the 3GS.

--
Mike