Need advice new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BobsApple, Feb 15, 2015.

1. BobsApple

BobsApple New Member

Greetings everyone!

I am thinking of ditching my 6 year old PC and getting a new IMac!!! Looking at the specs on the Apple site, looking at the 21 inch with 2.9 I5. I would add one upgrade, either go 16 gigs ram or the fusion drive.

My funds are limited, like most everyone's lol, but not considering the base model. Not a big gamer, like photos, videos, and would value the extra security that Apple has to offer. Btw, not a total stranger to Apple, using the IPad 4 and have IPhone 6.

Any ideas for a perhaps newbie IMac owner?

Thanks

Bob

2. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

If you're willing to spend a bit more I'd go for the 27 inch iMac, the smaller units are hard as hell to get into if you want to make some upgrades in the future, you’ll have to unglue your display if you want to swap out your hard drive or add more RAM, but it’s a piece of cake with the bigger, 27-inch iMacs.

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Great idea! In my opinion, upgrading to the Fusion Drive will be more beneficial that the extra RAM. I recently got a Mac Mini with 8GB RAM and the Fusion Drive. Like you, I'm not much into games, and mostly use my Mac for viewing/organizing my photos, videos, web surfing, and other basic tasks that don't require a lot of processing power or RAM. The Fusion Drive makes the OS much more snappy in general and while accessing commonly used files. I'm using my Mini with the 22" monitor I used to use with my Windows PC and then my MacBook Pro when docked in a desktop setup. If you already have a decent size quality monitor for your PC, the Mini might be worth looking at considering your needs and uses. You could get a Mini with 16GB RAM and a 512GB Flash Drive for the same price as the base iMac you're looking at. The Mini is only available with a duo core processor though, while the iMac ships with a quad core chip. Also, the Mini is not expandable/upgradable as easily as the iMac is. Just something to consider.

4. BobsApple

BobsApple New Member

Thank you both for your thoughtful insight! Not sure which way to go at this point, but I am learning!

Thanks

Bob