Need advice on how to hand-me-down old iPhone

Jul 7, 2008
All - my plan is to buy the new 3G for myself and give my son my original one. (We are both current active AT&T customers.) So -

What will be involved to 1) get his existing cel # ported to the old iPhone 2) get his settings, data, etc from his old cel to the iPhone (if possible) and 3) get my current settings, data, etc, onto my new iPhone?

Thanks in advance ---

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
1. Take his SIM and put it in the V1 iPhone. Connect to iTunes, and it will ask you for your son's number during activation. That's it.
2. Not even AT&T can retrieve that stuff from a non-iphone and put it in the iPhone. He will have to manually add his contacts and such. He will lose his SMS conversations too.
3. You need to connect your iPhone to iTunes and click "Sync" at the bottom right. That will backup all your data. Then when you get home with the 3G, connect to iTunes and restore from backup. All your data, SMS, and such will be transferred. You will still need to add your user name and password for email accounts.

When you go to AT&T or Apple, you only need to deal with switching your iPhone to the 3G one. When you get home, you can then take out your old sim and give the V1 iPhone to you son to put his sim in.

Jul 7, 2008
Thanks very much!

Thank you, very helpful. Next question (and forgive my ignorance) - where is the iPhone's SIM slot?

1. Take his SIM and put it in the V1 iPhone. Connect to iTunes, and it will ask you for your son's number during activation. That's it.
2. Not even AT&T can retrieve that stuff from a non-iphone and put it in the iPhone. He will have to manually add his contacts and such. He will lose his SMS conversations too.
3. You need to connect your iPhone to iTunes and click "Sync" at the bottom right. That will backup all your data. Then when you get home with the 3G, connect to iTunes and restore from backup. All your data, SMS, and such will be transferred. You will still need to add your user name and password for email accounts.

When you go to AT&T or Apple, you only need to deal with switching your iPhone to the 3G one. When you get home, you can then take out your old sim and give the V1 iPhone to you son to put his sim in.

Captricky

Aug 2, 2007
Thank you, very helpful. Next question (and forgive my ignorance) - where is the iPhone's SIM slot?
It's on the top edge of the iPhone near the headphone jack. Use the end of a paper clip and insert with pressure in the small hole to pop the sim tray out.

Jul 7, 2008
Super.

Excellent - thanks!

It's on the top edge of the iPhone near the headphone jack. Use the end of a paper clip and insert with pressure in the small hole to pop the sim tray out.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

Make sure that your Son's SIM cards is a newer one, preferable with the 3G logo on it. Even though the V1 iPhone didn't use 3G, it used that SIM. the phone is very particular about swapping SIMS.
Also, have him connect to iTunes on his PC, not yours.

Jul 7, 2008
Ah, good points - but -

Thanks, I'll need to check on my son's SIM card. If incompatible, that means he needs to just manually reenter all settings, ph #'s etc, correct?

Also - another wrinkle - he does not have his own PC (uses the ones at school or mine at home) - so is there a way around that? I know that when I sync now, my iMac "sees" my iPhone's number/identity --

Make sure that your Son's SIM cards is a newer one, preferable with the 3G logo on it. Even though the V1 iPhone didn't use 3G, it used that SIM. the phone is very particular about swapping SIMS.
Also, have him connect to iTunes on his PC, not yours.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Thanks, I'll need to check on my son's SIM card. If incompatible, that means he needs to just manually reenter all settings, ph #'s etc, correct?--
I don't honestly know.

Also - another wrinkle - he does not have his own PC (uses the ones at school or mine at home) - so is there a way around that? I know that when I sync now, my iMac "sees" my iPhone's number/identity --
unless you can setup a completely individual profile on your mac for him, I forsee a problem.
Anyone else know how to get around 2 iPhones and 1 pc?

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
We have three separate users with their own iTunes on one pc. Does he already have an iPod? If he does, then he's already set up and will just add the iPhone as another device. Otherwise, create a separate login for him, d/l iTunes and install it on his login, then he'll be good to go.

Jul 7, 2008
That ought to do it -

Kisstine, and all, thanks. We should be set now.

We have three separate users with their own iTunes on one pc. Does he already have an iPod? If he does, then he's already set up and will just add the iPhone as another device. Otherwise, create a separate login for him, d/l iTunes and install it on his login, then he'll be good to go.