Need advice on returning my iPhone

SandStorm

Dec 23, 2008
Hi, I'm experiencing a problem with my iPhone which is the home button not working and also getting a constant message that "This accessory is not made to work on iPhone. Do you want to turn Airplane mode on." or something like that, even though there isn't an accessory plugged and I don't have any accessories, I just use my USB cable which came with the phone.

Would they ask me for a proof of purchase? I bought this phone on ebay and I didn't get an invoice or I lost it.

I'm concerned because I had jailbroken the iPhone and not using AT&T, do they need to see a AT&T sim, or a proof that I have a contract with them.

I'm taking the phone with me without a sim card and restored, so when you turn it on it shows that I need to activate it and insert a valid sim, how are they going to check for the problem, I restored due the problem I explained above and also because I have my personal information in there.

I really need help figuring this out, I don't want to go there and get embarrased or whatever.

I hope you guys can help.

Thanks in advance.

A.J.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
What exactly is your home button doing or should I say not doing? Did you try rebooting it?

As far as the constant message it sounds like your plugging your iPhone into an adapter that's not specifically made for an iPhone. Next time the message pops up just click no, you should be ok.

If you take your phone to Apple for repairs the minute they pull up the serial number or your phone number for that matter their going to see that you didn't buy it from them and that you don't have an account. Without knowing the phones history if theres something wrong with it and you want it fixed I think it's safe to assume the phone wont be covered by any kind of warranty and you'll have to pay out of your pocket to get it repaired.

I would like to add that I'm not all to familiar on how Apple would handle a situation similar to yours but I'm sure someone whose more familiar with AT&T and Apples businesss practices concerning unlocked/jb iPhones will chime in.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Just take it in and don't take no for an answer. The guy i sold my V1 iPhone too dropped it in water and took it in. They asked bim questions about me but he just played dumb. You should be alright if you are persistent.

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
If you take your phone to Apple for repairs the minute they pull up the serial number or your phone number for that matter their going to see that you didn't buy it from them and that you don't have an account. Without knowing the phones history if theres something wrong with it and you want it fixed I think it's safe to assume the phone wont be covered by any kind of warranty and you'll have to pay out of your pocket to get it repaired.

I would like to add that I'm not all to familiar on how Apple would handle a situation similar to yours but I'm sure someone whose more familiar with AT&T and Apples businesss practices concerning unlocked/jb iPhones will chime in.
No. This is all wrong. The iPhone warranty transfers. As long as you are within the warranty period fro ORIGINAL purchase (which you must be if it is a 3G) and if there is no damage to the phone, they will replace it. (assuming they can confirm the defect).

SandStorm

Dec 23, 2008
Yeah, That's what I'm gonna do.

Thanks for suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

SS.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I have taken two separate phones in that were bought without contracts and not from AT&T. They do not ask for anything all they dobis check and make sure that the original warranty is good. Go ahead and make an appointment and take It in.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
Yeah, That's what I'm gonna do.

Thanks for suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

SS.
restore it before you do, if you bring it in still jailbroken, they will send you packing as it voids the warranty.