Need advice on upgrade options

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by dressagerider, Feb 1, 2013.

1. dressagerider

dressagerider Member
    Bronze

I am due to upgrade my contract with Verizon and thereforee eligible for discount pricing on a new device.

I currently have the iPhone 4S and love it, but am thinking about upgrade g to iPhone 5.

Any thoughts?

Sent using iCafe app

2. Madlockz

Madlockz Member
    Bronze

Well the 5s is about to come out if you can wait for it

Sent using iCafe app

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

How is your experience going with your 4S? Is it lacking at all, and how? Do you need the larger screen size of the 5 to make your experience more fulfilling? I've been debating making the upgrade from my 4S to the 5, and despite occasional shifts, I've mostly decided to wait until the next iPhone release.

Here are some possible reasons why: 1. If I upgrade now I will wish I would have waited until the next iPhone came out**. 2. Like you, I love my 4S and find it in no way lacking. 3. By the time the 5S* comes out the line of accessories will be more filled out and refined. 3a. I'm invested in and dependent on my current accessories that aren't matched by the current level for the 5. 4. The 5S* is going to be even more awesome, and if I get the 5 now I won't be able to upgrade until the 6**.

*Assuming Apple names the next iPhone 5S

** This is ignoring the fact that i am likely able to sell my current device and be able to fund the upgrade.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd upgrade now. Your 4S will still pay for it so it will be an even trade. The bigger screen is really nice, the phone runs faster and it has LTE. We probably won't see a new model until the fall.

5. Ron7624

Ron7624 Member
    Bronze

I just got my 5 about 3 weeks ago. I love it. I sold my 4S for 394.00 on eBay to fund it and made almost 200 bucks to boot. But the amazing thing is LTE.
    I could never go back to a 4. 4g is waaay slow in comparison - and the faster processing is very noticeable. With those two things working together - my experience is great to giddy. LTE makes the experience rock solid as well as SUPER fast with AT&T.
    My 2 cents....

Sent using iCafe app

6. Link182kidd

Link182kidd Member
    Bronze

Go for it. You won't regret it.
    And then get the 6 next year.

Sent using iPhone 5.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Another vote for: ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1359819670.177410.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

8. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Personally I would hold off.
    I upgraded from 4S for only an extra tenner, otherwise I would of stuck with 4s.
    The only difference for me is the following:

Faster
    Lighter
    Bigger screen
    Better front cam
    And better sound.

I can't get LTE (4G) as I'm in the UK and only EE network offer it.

Sent using iCafe app

9. dressagerider

dressagerider Member
    Bronze

Thanks for all the great responses.

I upgraded and am very pleased so far...however it has only been a day.

I did not want to wait for the 5s,as them I would not have made enough money selling my 4s to pay for the cost of the new phone. Every time a new model comes out previous models drop in value.

The 5 feels really different for the 4s with the bigger screen and light weight. The processor and lte are a huge improvement! I hope Apple does not increase the phone size beyond this.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Link182kidd

Link182kidd Member
    Bronze

Great news! You will not regret your decision! Now just keep getting the solid numbers like iPhone 6, 7, 8... :) forget anything that has an "S" on the end.
    Like i said previously its the same thing slightly tuned.. Go for new designs.

Sent using iPhone 5.

11. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Like others have said, I love my 5 compared to the 4S. The only downside was the lightning connector. The charging "Cube" is the same but the cord is different and at $20 a crack it can get a bit expensive to replace any spare cords you may have that you need (work, car, vacation home or whatever). The old cords for the 4S and before were readily available from third party suppliers and were cheap but so far that hasn't happened with the Lightening connector cords. Enjoy!

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

If you're willingn to test one out, Monoprice has them for a lot cheaper.

#12 Napoleon PhoneApart, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I'll have to look into that, thanks for the info. I have a bad case of CRS and when the wife and I go on a trip, I can never remember to bring the charging stuff with so I keep a charging kit in my suitcase and each of our vehicles. If I do get one from Monoprice I'll post the results on the iCafe forum . Thanks again.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's the second time this week someone mentioned CRS to me. I actually had to look it up. I have CRS, too. :D

15. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

When I got my 2000 300M, it came with automatic headlights. People were constantly telling me that I'd left my headlights on after I'd parked. I took great joy in telling them that they were CRS lights as I walked away.
    YMMV

Sent using iCafe app

16. Ron7624

Ron7624 Member
    Bronze

17. dressagerider

dressagerider Member
    Bronze

Just want to add..... This weekend while sitting in gyms all day watching my child play sports, ally friends with the iPhones using 3G could not get device while my 5 with lte worked the entire time.

Sent using iCafe app

18. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

I think it comes down to this^ If you can sell your 4S to get the 5 at no cost to you, why not do so? If for some reason you can't (maybe your 4S has a little cosmetic damage?) and you're satisfied with your 4S then just wait for the 5 successor announcement. It can't be far off.