Need Advice

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
OK please read my dilemma and let me know what you think I should do.

My brother's birthday is coming up, July 7th, and I'm think his old Treo 650 needs to be upgraded (he's in college, he only bought it to mainly play music before the iPhone or any good music phone came out).

I currently have a 4GB iPhone.

So my thought is give the old as a gift, buy the new for me when it comes out. But here is the problem:

I'm currently on a family plan with my parents but when I finish colelge in 6 months my dad is taking over my line and I'm going to have to start my own contract. I'm also studying in europe for 6 months this fall and my plan was to unlockmy phone and use a local sim card. I know I can easily do that on my old iPhone (although it isn't unlocked currently). I do not want to buy a V2 iPhone when it comes out and be forced to sign a 2 year contract until I get back from europe in January.

I've heard with the new V2 iPhone I will be forced to activate it when buying, so in essense I will have to sign up for the more expensive data and voice plan even though I won't get to use it for the 6 months I'm in europe.

So from what I see, my options are

A.) simply buy my bro a new V2 and keep my current for going to europe
B. ) Give bro my old and not buy a new one until I get back from europe (but then how will I listen to music...I don't have an ipod anymore)
C.) buy the new for me, give my bro my old, and hold someone hostage so I don't have to start a 3G 2 year contract?

Also, if I buy my brother the new one, will he be forced to pay for the 3G internet package or do you think he will have the option of getting the cheap edge package I have now on my v1 iPhone? (I'm not sure he will want to pay the extra money for 3G)

Here is one thought I have. Can I buy the V2 and immediantly downgrade the contract by taking off the data plan? My parents don't care if their contract gets extended, they aren't changing anytime soon, but they won't want to be stuck with a data plan they won't use. So if I could buy the phone and then turn off the data plan at least while I'm in europe and then move the phone to my own contract afterwards that would work...

Thanks.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
OK please read my dilemma and let me know what you think I should do.

My brother's birthday is coming up, July 7th, and I'm think his old Treo 650 needs to be upgraded (he's in college, he only bought it to mainly play music before the iPhone or any good music phone came out).

I currently have a 4GB iPhone.

So my thought is give the old as a gift, buy the new for me when it comes out. But here is the problem:

I'm studying in europe for 6 months this fall and my plan was to unlock the phone and use a local sim card. I know I can easily do that on my old iPhone (although it isn't unlocked currently).

I've heard with the new V2 iPhone I will be forced to activate it when buying, so in essense I will have to sign up for the more expensive data and voice plan even though I won't get to use it for the 6 months I'm in europe.

So from what I see, my options are

A.) simply buy my bro a new V2 and keep my current for going to europe
B. ) Give bro my old and not buy a new one until I get back from europe (but then how will I listen to music...I don't have an ipod anymore)
C.) buy the new for my bro, give my bro my old, and hold someone hostage so I don't have to start a 3G 2 year contract?

Also, if I buy my brother the new one, will he be forced to pay for the 3G internet package or do you think he will have the option of getting the cheap edge package I have now on my v1 iPhone? (I'm not sure he will want to pay the extra money for 3G)

Thanks.
eh, I understand yer dilemma, but I'm a selfish bastard.

Forget about your bro, get the 3g iPhone for yourself, sell the v1 on craigslist, and you have cash in your pocket to cover the more expensive data plan :cool:

You should be able to unlock your 3g iPhone to use overseas. Remember it still will have the same software as the v1 iPhone. You will just be tied to the expensive AT&T data plan.

You could unlock and give him the 4Gb iPhone and your sim when you go overseas, let him use your account and pay you for the bill, and unlock the 3g and use overseas. If he has a Treo 650 he's most likely got an expired contract anyhow.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I know that with Verizon they let me defer my contract for up to 3 months, maybe AT&T does something similar, and maybe longer.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
eh, I understand yer dilemma, but I'm a selfish bastard.

Forget about your bro, get the 3g iPhone for yourself, sell the v1 on craigslist, and you have cash in your pocket to cover the more expensive data plan :cool:

You should be able to unlock your 3g iPhone to use overseas. Remember it still will have the same software as the v1 iPhone. You will just be tied to the expensive AT&T data plan.

You could unlock and give him the 4Gb iPhone and your sim when you go overseas, let him use your account and pay you for the bill, and unlock the 3g and use overseas. If he has a Treo 650 he's most likely got an expired contract anyhow.
Let me summarize my post, I got a bit long winded.

I want to give my brother my old iPhone and I want to buy the new one for myself. However, since I will be in europe for 6 months starting in 1 month I do not want to start a new more expensive contract until I get back (I would just find a way to unlock it and use a local sim card in europe). Any ideas?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Let me summarize my post, I got a bit long winded.

I want to give my brother my old iPhone and I want to buy the new one for myself. However, since I will be in europe for 6 months starting in 1 month I do not want to start a new more expensive contract until I get back. Any ideas?
You cannot buy the new one without a contract, period. The best scenario, like I said at the end of my previous post.

1. Buy the new 3g iPhone and unlock it (it should be possible)
2. unlock the 4gb iPhone and give to your brother
3. Give him the sim from your new 3g iPhone
4. Let him use your account while you are overseas and pay the bill
5. Insert overseas sim in 3g iPhone. Enjoy.
6. When you get back, get your iPhone 3g AT&T sim back from him, reassume control of your account and let him re-establish his own service when you get back.

The major disadvantage of this would be that he would have your old phone number.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
You cannot buy the new one without a contract, period. The best scenario, like I said at the end of my previous post.

1. Buy the new 3g iPhone and unlock it (it should be possible)
2. unlock the 4gb iPhone and give to your brother
3. Give him the sim from your new 3g iPhone
4. Let him use your account while you are overseas and pay the bill
5. Insert overseas sim in 3g iPhone. Enjoy.
6. When you get back, get your iPhone 3g AT&T sim back from him, reassume control of your account and let him re-establish his own service when you get back.

The major disadvantage of this would be that he would have your old phone number.
He would be paying for a 3g plan but only getting edge service though right? Or will AT&T allow us to sign up for edge-only service to use on the 3G iPhone?

Other then that your plan sounds pretty good...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
He would be paying for a 3g plan but only getting edge service though right? Or will AT&T allow us to sign up for edge-only service to use on the 3G iPhone?

Other then that your plan sounds pretty good...
he would be paying for the 3g plan and only getting EDGE service, that is correct.

However, if he has a Treo 650 he is more than likely on a PDA plan anyhow which costs just as much as the iPhone 3g plan. And the Treo 650 is not 3g either and sure doesn't have near as nice a browser as the iPhone.

One caveat: No one can guarantee that the 2.0 firmware can be unlocked yet. Although it is likely, I would definitely wait for this to be 100% verified unlockable prior to going through with it.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
he would be paying for the 3g plan and only getting EDGE service, that is correct.

However, if he has a Treo 650 he is more than likely on a PDA plan anyhow which costs just as much as the iPhone 3g plan. And the Treo 650 is not 3g either and sure doesn't have near as nice a browser as the iPhone.

One caveat: No one can guarantee that the 2.0 firmware can be unlocked yet. Although it is likely, I would definitely wait for this to be 100% verified unlockable prior to going through with it.
I'm sure it won't be long before it's unlocked.

He's actually not paying for a dataplan at all on the treo, no one ever forced him too (he bought it used on ebay and was able to jus tthrow his old regular sim into it which had no data plan) and he only bought it to listen to music. But since the iPhone has a web browser that is actually useful he may use it, and if he doesn't want to pay for the data service then I guess I can just unlock the phone and set it up on a plan with no edge service at all (that would be after I'm back from europe).

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
wait till July 11 and order a 3G for your brother and another for u. Used items don't make good gifts.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
wait till July 11 and order a 3G for your brother and another for u. Used items don't make good gifts.
We are both college students so 2 iPhones is out of my price range and 1 iPhone is more then enough to make him happy.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
We are both college students so 2 iPhones is out of my price range and 1 iPhone is more then enough to make him happy.
Buy him a new iPhone 3G and pick up a nice used first gen. iPhone on ebay for yourself. You should be able to pick one up for around $100 in two weeks.

May 6, 2007
United States
Excuse my scarce knowledge on SIM cards, but would a 3G iPhone SIM card really fit into the original iPhone?

I thought they are being made per model?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Excuse my scarce knowledge on SIM cards, but would a 3G iPhone SIM card really fit into the original iPhone?

i believe all sim cards are the exact same, it's sort of a technology standard.

If the iPhone sim cards were different then those used by all other phones then they probably wouldn't be called sim cards.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

Yes they the same size. My daughter has a 3G phone and we use her original sim from her old RAZR that I bought over two years ago. If you look at your original first gen. iPhone sim card, it will even say 3G on it. :)