Need advise ASAP with shaving

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Good choices IMO. Couple of things. The after shave. Ditch it. Get some nuetrogena face moisturizer / after shave. Also will have SPF in it.
Make sure you change your razor blade often. I use mine for three uses maybe four. Expensive yes. Better than bumps. Definitely.
The bumps are from irritation sometimes from pulling and sometimes from skin irritation. Keeping your skin moisturizer all the time will help. And using a beard trimmer to keep the hair short before using the blade.
Hope this helps. Some aloe sap also will help.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Try leaving the shaving cream on for about 5 minutes before you shave. It'll soften eventhing up.

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

Robbinhoodz25

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Try leaving the shaving cream on for about 5 minutes before you shave. It'll soften eventhing up.

That makes since I usually start like seconds after I put the cream on. And does me being black having anything to do with it? And also how do I get rid of the bumps I have? Can I shave with the bumps already there?

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
That makes since I usually start like seconds after I put the cream on. And does me being black having anything to do with it? And also how do I get rid of the bumps I have? Can I shave with the bumps already there?
With all due respect yes. Your skin is not as moist. When I was in the navy a lot of African americans had no shave chits because of it. I would wait a day or two before shaving with the bumps. Keep putting aloe or even a little neosporen on it. Keep your skin moisturized.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
But do try leaving the cream on for a bit. Experiment with the time. I found that tip on the web a while back because I was having issues with bumps too. So I'll take a shower first (which helps too) get out, shave cream on, dry off, brush my teeth and usually that's long enough to where I can start shaving. Do wait till the bumps you have now go away.

Robbinhoodz25

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
But do try leaving the cream on for a bit. Experiment with the time. I found that tip on the web a while back because I was having issues with bumps too. So I'll take a shower first (which helps too) get out, shave cream on, dry off, brush my teeth and usually that's long enough to where I can start shaving. Do wait till the bumps you have now go away.

Ugh how long are the bumps gonna be on.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Grab a towel and soak it in hot water, as hot as you can, put it in your face couple seconds at a time, if it's very hot you won't be able to handle more than that.
Do it before and after you shave.

Sent from my iPhone 13

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Grab a towel and soak it in hot water, as hot as you can, put it in your face couple seconds at a time, if it's very hot you won't be able to handle more than that.
Do it before and after you shave.

Sent from my iPhone 13
Good advice. I get my hair trimmed every week. She does straight razor on the back and does my face for me also on that day if I want. She always puts hot shaving cream on and then super hot towel after words.
Shaving after the shower is good because the heat brings the hair to the surface and opens your pores.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I'm not sure, could be up to a week. If they haven't gone away after a week, look real closely at them and make sure there isn't a hair making a loop back into your skin. I used to get those too. Sometimes a hair will grow into a pore. And when it does, sometimes the only answer is to pull it out. Sometimes they will fix themselves. If the bumps are sore to the touch in a few days, that's likely what's happened. You'll need high quality tweezers.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Good advice. I get my hair trimmed every week. She does straight razor on the back and does my face for me also on that day if I want. She always puts hot shaving cream on and then super hot towel after words.
Shaving after the shower is good because the heat brings the hair to the surface and opens your pores.
Yeah, or shaving in the morning is also a good idea.
that reminds me, I need a good aftershave without alcohol in it, any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone 13

MyRichLife

Zealot
Gold
Nov 19, 2009
South Florida.
Try this since it works really well for me...Wash face and neck with warm water then use shaving cream in the areas your fixing to shave to remove the hair shave slowly...If you can look in to sensitive skin shave gel that's what I have to use if not my skin will break out.

Robbinhoodz25

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
I'm not sure, could be up to a week. If they haven't gone away after a week, look real closely at them and make sure there isn't a hair making a loop back into your skin. I used to get those too. Sometimes a hair will grow into a pore. And when it does, sometimes the only answer is to pull it out. Sometimes they will fix themselves. If the bumps are sore to the touch in a few days, that's likely what's happened. You'll need high quality tweezers.

I can touch my face and it doesn't hurt.

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
I found that a fog-less mirror and shaving in the shower is much less intense. I get the hair and body clean, which gives my face time to get moist and the pores to open up. By the time I shave, it's pretty smooth. I use the same shaving cream and razor as you. I'm also about the neutrogena face lotion with the spf. Using it daily helps keep the skin moist between shaves. Good luck!

Robbinhoodz25

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
I found that a fog-less mirror and shaving in the shower is much less intense. I get the hair and body clean, which gives my face time to get moist and the pores to open up. By the time I shave, it's pretty smooth. I use the same shaving cream and razor as you. I'm also about the neutrogena face lotion with the spf. Using it daily helps keep the skin moist between shaves. Good luck!
Does the lotion smell fairly god?

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I found this out quite by accident. I shave my head. I use lotion WITH my shaving cream. Wash well...apply lotion or oil (not baby oil)..apply shaving cream and let sit a moment. Moisturizing the skin before shaving cuts down on a lot of the irritation. Don't get the cheap lotion but a quality name brand. Vitamin E oil or almond oil work well if you visit natural grocery stores.
I applied vaseline one day as I was having an itchy scalp and had a problem with razor bumps on my temples. I noticed a very smooth shave that day and have been applying some type of moisturizer since that day. I have also given this tip to many men I work with and it makes a world of difference.