• Get an iPod touch, At&T sucks anyway!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait to see what Apple does at the Apple Expo Paris

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Don't bother with it...

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
Sep 7, 2007
I'm looking for people's opinions on purchasing an iPhone vs iPod Touch...

Should I buy a iPhone now that the price has dropped or just get an iPod Touch? I currently have verizon and am happy with their service, At&T rates as one of the worst in San Diego county where I am. What I really want is to use all the other functionality of the iPhone and not activate the phone portion until my contract runs out in December...

The other question is... what do you all think about the rumor of a 16gb / 3G iPhone coming out at the Apple Expo in Paris on Sept 25?

H

hax

I'd say don't dare buy it till they make things right with the early adopters.

If you are going to then I'd say wait. Especially with Christmas coming! If they can do so much in 60 days, what can they do in another 90 days! Maybe a new version.

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I'd say don't dare buy it till they make things right with the early adopters.

If you are going to then I'd say wait. Especially with Christmas coming! If they can do so much in 60 days, what can they do in another 90 days! Maybe a new version.
Don't you think being banned once today is enough? Hahahaha

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
If you have the money and want the iPhone, I say go for it! They already made it right with the earlier adopters. Apple is offering a $100 store credit to everyone who is not eligible to take advantage of the $200 discount. Many have been satisfied with this.

I do think they will have a new model out that will offer 16GB of storage. Maybe even 3g. But who knows what will come. I do have to say is that if you keep waiting, you will never end up buying what you want. It is the way of technology. It always changes and there will always be something better that comes out. That is the risk you have to take.

It is up to you to decide to wait or act now. It is a great phone and for the price it is going for now, it is well worth the money.

- Garrett

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
My initial reaction is at $399 you should probably go for it. I can't imagine them getting substantially cheaper. Then it occurs to me that if 8GB is pushing it for you, maybe waiting it out a little longer might be prudent. No one has said or implied that there wouldn't (or couldn't) be a 16GB iPhone model coming to fill that $599 gap. 8GB is big enough for me until (if) they decide to implement file management. A 16GB model that I could store/transfer data on - now that would make me sell my trusty 8GB and buy another expensive iPhone! An iPod Touch is not so interesting to me because I don't want to carry my music player AND a phone. For me, that was the main attraction of a converged device to begin with.

Sep 7, 2007
My initial reaction is at $399 you should probably go for it. I can't imagine them getting substantially cheaper. Then it occurs to me that if 8GB is pushing it for you, maybe waiting it out a little longer might be prudent. No one has said or implied that there wouldn't (or couldn't) be a 16GB iPhone model coming to fill that $599 gap. 8GB is big enough for me until (if) they decide to implement file management. A 16GB model that I could store/transfer data on - now that would make me sell my trusty 8GB and buy another expensive iPhone! An iPod Touch is not so interesting to me because I don't want to carry my music player AND a phone. For me, that was the main attraction of a converged device to begin with.
Yeah that's what I was thinking... 8gb isn't nearly enough as I love both music and video content. My 60gb iPod I currently have is packed almost full of stuff. I use it a lot for file transfer as well between work and home.

I think I'll wait to see what Apple does in the next month or so... If nothing new arrives before november (my vacation - I want it for that...) then I'll go for the 8gb...

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I'd wait for two things. The first is what comes out in the next month as far as updates to the phone software. I am assuming that by thing point they have received a fair amount of feedback and seen enough articles in the papers and trade publications to see what people are identifying as missing or desired.

After that I would see how it feels with a 16 coming along. I feel we will see that one announced within the next 1.5 to 2 months, after the touch is out there. Since they can do it in the touch with a smaller form factor they can certainly do it in the phone as well.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I'm looking for people's opinions on purchasing an iPhone vs iPod Touch...

Should I buy a iPhone now that the price has dropped or just get an iPod Touch? I currently have verizon and am happy with their service, At&T rates as one of the worst in San Diego county where I am. What I really want is to use all the other functionality of the iPhone and not activate the phone portion until my contract runs out in December...

The other question is... what do you all think about the rumor of a 16gb / 3G iPhone coming out at the Apple Expo in Paris on Sept 25?
My Lord!

With the uproar (and I include myself there) over the price drop after only 60 days... Can you IMAGINE the screaming if they released a 16gb/3G model after 90 days (in effect making all earlier iPhones obsolete)?!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
My Lord!

With the uproar (and I include myself there) over the price drop after only 60 days... Can you IMAGINE the screaming if they released a 16gb/3G model after 90 days (in effect making all earlier iPhones obsolete)?!
I'll buy it!

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
But don't forget that 3G in Europe is apparently the standard there. It is all over as opposed to the states where we still have a mix of carriers using different systems. I fully expected the European version to have 3G, the capacity I would not have expected. I agree, I would buy one too I think after they slash the prices 2 months after launch.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Totally wait for the Expo. That's like in what? 2 weeks?

But keep in mind, even though that phone will no doubt be 3G, American 3G is different than European 3G. We use different frequencies for 3G as the rest of the world, and THAT is what matters. If they do release a 3G phone for Europe you need to pay attention to the frequency they will operate on, and make sure that frequency will work with AT&T's 3G network, or if you are able to unlock the iPhone, the frequency of that carrier's 3G network.

The iPhone will not work with Verizon, period since it's a GSM phone. The European iPhone probably won't be released until the holidays at the earliest, but that sounds like it would work out fine for you since that's when your Verizon contract will be over.

A hint on getting the iPhone cheaper: when you do sign up for a new contract, do NOT do it with an iPhone. You will not get a discount on the iPhone if you buy it with a new cellphone contract with AT&T. But you will get a discount on a different phone. Buy the best most profitable discounted regular phone like a RAZR or something, unlock it if you can, then sell it on Ebay or something. After you get your new contract, THEN tell AT&T that you got an iPhone. They will connect you no questions asked.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
My Lord!

I'm not sure how 3G will make the current iPhone "obsolete". If you check coverage maps for the US, you'll find the VAST majority does NOT have 3G access yet - and ATT will not tell anyone what their time frame is for any given region. I'm sickeningly close to two 3G zones (right between Atlanta and Charlotte), but no clues yet when we're getting it. Factor in that adding a 3G radio will almost necessitate a higher cap battery, and I just don't see it - not until coverage is coast to coast.

As far as doubling the memory, I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I have no interest in a 16GB+ model until some sort of well engineered file management is implemented. I just don't need that much music/podcast/tiny video available. Give me the ability to add data to the storage system, and I'll be all over it.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
The moment I woke up from my stupor of pain killers I rushed right out and bought myself a 4 gig iPhone! So far I love it! I actually don't have any regrets at all. I came over from a Treo 750 and a 8525 and I don't know if I will look back. I actually had said that $300 was my limit for this phone as I couldn't justify any higher! BUY NOW!

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
The moment I woke up from my stupor of pain killers I rushed right out and bought myself a 4 gig iPhone! So far I love it! I actually don't have any regrets at all. I came over from a Treo 750 and a 8525 and I don't know if I will look back. I actually had said that $300 was my limit for this phone as I couldn't justify any higher! BUY NOW!
Congrats and welcome!

Sep 11, 2007
I think I'll wait to see what Apple does in the next month or so... If nothing new arrives before november (my vacation - I want it for that...) then I'll go for the 8gb...
I was planning on buying 2 iPhones this past weekend, one for my wife and I, but with the new rumor of MAYBE a 3G/16GB model possibly announced for the U.S., most likely back at the $599 price .. I decided to wait just a little bit longer. Originally the phone was going to be a christmas gift for my wife and for myself as well. I also plan on buying an Ipod Touch for my daughter. If nothing is announced by Thanksgiving .. I will buy then. I just hope I can wait that long.. I currently own a Palm Treo 700W, (with full youtube access) but after "playing" around with the iPhone at the AT&T store... I WANT ONE BAD!

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Could someone maybe answer this auestion for me please?

If Apple were to release a iPhone that could be used on a 3g network. Would it really matter if you were close to a 3g coverage area or not? If you lived in such area without 3g (yet) wouldn't the phone still be able to fall back on the slower EDGE network by default (or wifi)?

If so, I don't see what it would matter if you had a 3g phone or edge (2g). If you lived or just passing through a 3g network coverage area, good for you! And if not, well......

Thanks.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Could someone maybe answer this auestion for me please?

If Apple were to release a iPhone that could be used on a 3g network. Would it really matter if you were close to a 3g coverage area or not? If you lived in such area without 3g (yet) wouldn't the phone still be able to fall back on the slower EDGE network by default (or wifi)?

If so, I don't see what it would matter if you had a 3g phone or edge (2g). If you lived or just passing through a 3g network coverage area, good for you! And if not, well......

Thanks.
ATT's 3G/EDGE implementation does allow for 3G to fallback to EDGE when 3G isn't available, yes.