Need any help/advice regarding downloading 3.0 software to my iPhone 3G

km123

Sep 7, 2009
i bought my iPhone 3g about a year ago. when the new 3.0 software came out, i tried downloading it onto my iPhone through our main computer (which was a laptop) and it would usually stop within an hour of downloading saying the iPhone had "lost connection". this was frustrating as i tried multiple times. i recently got a macbook and thought it would be simpler and would ultimately work, because they were both Apple products. nothing. it takes absolutely forever to download, and will give me some type of disconnection error message between the phone/computer. any advice on what i should do? is my phone defective? should i take it to Apple? i already asked AT&T and they were no help. any suggestions would be appreciated, im not the most computer/technology savvy person! thanks!:cool:

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Well it first downloads the firmware which can take awhile depending on your internet connection speed. Then it installs.
Did it ever completely download?

km123

Sep 7, 2009
no, its actually plugged in right now trying again. this is probably the 9th time, i'm ready to give up. i guess ill just leave it plugged in all day tomorrow, but i don't know how long the download should take in general. i just don't know if i'm wasting my time or not. i'm ready to just got buy the 3gS, but i don't want to spend the money when i have a perfectly fine iPhone anyways.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Well the download is about 250MB so it depends on your internet connection. If you buy the 3GS you could always send me your 3G :)

km123

Sep 7, 2009
i would say that i have pretty good internet connection! ill just wait it out and leave my phone at home connected for the day. if it continues to frustrate me i might just have to ship it off to you!

km123

Sep 7, 2009
once again, the download failed because the iPhone was "disconnected". which it was not. its sitting right next to me. cool website, to download it was 7.89 mb/s, and to upload it was .48 mb/s. i don't know what any of that means. but hopefully its good?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Its about average. that means you can almost download at 1 MB/s which means 250MB would take you 250 seconds so about 4 to 5 minutes.
I would try deleting the 3.0.1 update and download it again. I'm not sure where it saves to but a quick google search will give you the result. I've done it before on my mac.