Need app for streaming music

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Jokerfwb, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Jokerfwb

Jokerfwb New Member

Okay I have air video I love it I can watch my movies on my pc from any where. I need recommendations for an app to stream my home music library to my iPhone over wifi or 3G. I prefer one that is that does simply the streaming with no extras but I'm open to anything.

2. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

You can stream internally by just turning on sharing in iTunes and your iPhone. Externally I would recommend using Googles gmusic. You can upload up to 20,000 songs for free and access them with an app from the app store. Any new music added to you iTunes library will automatically upload to you gmusic account.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Since you're open to anything, I will suggest iTunes (available for both PCs and Macs). You won't be able to stream, but you will be able to easily select which songs you want to sync based on artist, album, song title, genre, custom playlist, and many other ways. Syncing your music means you'll be able to take the songs with you anywhere. Even if your PC explodes after being struck by a micrometeorite, you'll still have your music on your iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

UPDATE: I just remembered that it is definitely possible to stream your entire iTunes music collection to any iDevice on the same home network.

Here's how:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/inside-itunes/2012/04/share-your-itunes-library-with-others-by-using-home-sharing.html

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

5. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Does air video let you load a ripped DVD in VOB format and just play it without having to convert it in iTunes?

I have an app for my droid tablet that I can load the files and play them with no converting.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe

6. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Scope out Google Music. It's a free service with tons of cloud backup storage (fits my large library with plenty of room left over). You can stream from any browser. There are also several iOS apps for streaming/downloading for offline playback. And if you ever accidentally lose your library, you can redownload the whole thing. All free. I'm a big fan.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

According to Air Video's website, nope...

These formats are supported by Air Video for live conversion: mp4, m4v, mov, avi, wmv, asf, mpg, mpeg, mkv, 3gp, dmf, divx, flv. DRM protected videos as well as proprietary codecs are NOT supported.

You could convert your .VOBs first to one of these formats using Handbrake.

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Plex can play a merged VOB file, but not separated video and audio VOBs. I love Plex. It's metadata scrubbers are amazing.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/40882-plex-video-ts-or-vob-file-work-around/

9. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Another vote for Google Music. A bunch of free storage. Free streaming from anywhere. Ability to play offline with a $1 or $2 app.

10. lemoon

lemoon Member
    Bronze

+1 Google Music.
    For convert VOB files, I got a ifunia media converter from mac app store when it giveaway last Halloween, which works fine for me so far.

11. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I've been using viplayer and you can load ripped DVD files that are in VOB format and it plays them without needing to convert. The files get loaded using the file storage feature like iBooks uses

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe

12. aknightstale41

Gold

I know this post dosent belong here but i was wondering if there was a dev forum anymore on EIC? Id like to get some dev feedback on somethings...thanks, and delete as necessary :)