Need application to backup SMS text on PC or on iPhone

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by jonblayze8, Dec 9, 2007.

1. jonblayze8

jonblayze8 New Member

I have a lot of SMS messages on my iPhone. I'd like to delete them from my iPhone, but have them backed up before hands. Is there an application that will allow me to backup my SMS from iPhone to my computer? Can anybody recommend anything?

Thanks!

2. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

I could be wrong, but at this time, I think it's impossible. The iPhone text message function is very limited (as I'm sure you've already found out). Really, "ALL'" that you can do is send and receive. If you need back up, it might be better to have people email you, really the only solution right now...M

3. meiphones_brill

meiphones_brill New Member
    Silver

there are all manner of tools to read SMS off a sim - google for surveilance and bugging equipment..

4. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Hmmm...every time I sync, my SMS messages are backed up. And we are talking 4 iPhones and 3 updates later, and I still have SMS messages from the day I bought my iPhone originally.

5. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

I stand corrected. I totally forgot, that syncing backs up text messages . You are absolutely correct. I don't know how I forgot that. To the OP, sorry about that. I was not trying to mislead you, an error on my part. I apologize...M

6. jonblayze8

jonblayze8 New Member

I know they get backed up, but how can u view them? im running out of space, and that sms mailbox is almost full is very annoying

7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Unfortunately, unless you jailbreak and grab a third party app, there is not a way.
    That being said, I cannot tell you what app to use.
    I have to ask though, are all your text messages that numerous and important that you cannot dump them every once in a while?

8. termleech

termleech Zealot
    Gold

9. colombianito

colombianito New Member
    Bronze

Try wetoolus I know I saw an option to do something like that but I don't remember, I used it but I had to uninstall it because it was not working properly when I was sending messages to multiple recipients it would text so ething like "good morning" it would be like "g@o@o@d@ @m@o@r@n@i@n@g@" so I had to uninstall it but I'm sure I saw an option like that..

Try wetoolus...I am using smsdelete but it doesn't have that option.

10. tiguy99

tiguy99 Member
    Bronze

Hey guys. I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself to this forum. Long story short, I've been able to use Jeyo Mobile Companion for my T mobile Dash to backup my SMS/Contacts and call lists with ease. I was just wondering if anyone's tried that program with the iPhone or if its compatible or not.

I get my iPhone this weekend so I'd like to know if its possible if I can backup my txts/call lists/contacts and how easy the actual process is

--Mike

11. jaayrawr

jaayrawr Member

i think you can back up your text
    if you have jailbroken your phone and download winscp, navigate to /private/var/root/Library/SMS and copy the "sms.db" to your desktop. i think that could work. i haven't tried it, but someone mentioned it before. it was either here, or mmi.

12. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Just use SMSd. There's an option to email all your texts to yourself in a text file. I just did it and it worked great.

13. nurseclaire

nurseclaire New Member

Tired of the SMS inbox almost full warning? Here's how to get rid of it.

1. Go to Installer, push Sources, then Edit, then Add.
    2. Type in http://iPhone.totalmatrix.net, then Done, then Refresh.
    3. Go to Tweaks (1.1.1) and install "Remove 1000 SMS Limit"
    4. Restart your phone, and enjoy unlimited storage!

Special thanks to piranha for showing me how to do this!

How this app works: All messages past 700 will automatically be archived in a separate folder for you. This will keep your SMS inbox screen free from slowing down because of too much data. To be able to view all of your old messages, you must install SMSD. All your messages will be viewable in SMSD, but only your most recent 700 will be available in the native SMS app from Apple.

14. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

It's nice to cite your source. That's a copy paste of something I wrote! Also, it has nothing to do with this thread.

15. termleech

termleech Zealot
    Gold

Does this work on 1.1.2 as well?

16. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Yes it does.

17. AllYourTexts

AllYourTexts New Member

You can view and back up texts from an iPhone to your PC without jailbreaking it. There are several 3rd party programs that do this. One I recommend is AllYourTexts:

http://www.allyourtexts.com

It lets you view and search all the SMS data from your iPhone on the PC it's sync'ed with. You can also back up your conversations to text files or HTML.

[​IMG]

Full disclosure: I'm a developer for the program.

18. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Ahh... the good ole days :)

19. dereksummers

dereksummers Guest

did you tried using iTunes or iCloud service. I think it will help in making the iPhone backup of the texts. Otherwise, you will find several automatic tools on the net.

20. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

This is literal spy software to illegally view info from other people's phones.

Do not use this for SMS backup- or anything else

#20 Hawk, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List