Need application to backup SMS text on PC or on iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jonblayze8

Jul 17, 2007
I have a lot of SMS messages on my iPhone. I'd like to delete them from my iPhone, but have them backed up before hands. Is there an application that will allow me to backup my SMS from iPhone to my computer? Can anybody recommend anything?

Thanks!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Hmmm...every time I sync, my SMS messages are backed up. And we are talking 4 iPhones and 3 updates later, and I still have SMS messages from the day I bought my iPhone originally.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hmmm...every time I sync, my SMS messages are backed up. And we are talking 4 iPhones and 3 updates later, and I still have SMS messages from the day I bought my iPhone originally.
I stand corrected. I totally forgot, that syncing backs up text messages . You are absolutely correct. I don't know how I forgot that. To the OP, sorry about that. I was not trying to mislead you, an error on my part. I apologize...M

jonblayze8

Jul 17, 2007
I know they get backed up, but how can u view them? im running out of space, and that sms mailbox is almost full is very annoying

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Unfortunately, unless you jailbreak and grab a third party app, there is not a way.
That being said, I cannot tell you what app to use.
I have to ask though, are all your text messages that numerous and important that you cannot dump them every once in a while?

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Try wetoolus I know I saw an option to do something like that but I don't remember, I used it but I had to uninstall it because it was not working properly when I was sending messages to multiple recipients it would text so ething like "good morning" it would be like "g@o@o@d@ @m@o@r@n@i@n@g@" so I had to uninstall it but I'm sure I saw an option like that..

Try wetoolus...I am using smsdelete but it doesn't have that option.

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
Hey guys. I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself to this forum. Long story short, I've been able to use Jeyo Mobile Companion for my T mobile Dash to backup my SMS/Contacts and call lists with ease. I was just wondering if anyone's tried that program with the iPhone or if its compatible or not.

I get my iPhone this weekend so I'd like to know if its possible if I can backup my txts/call lists/contacts and how easy the actual process is

--Mike

Sep 15, 2007
i think you can back up your text
if you have jailbroken your phone and download winscp, navigate to /private/var/root/Library/SMS and copy the "sms.db" to your desktop. i think that could work. i haven't tried it, but someone mentioned it before. it was either here, or mmi.

Dec 17, 2007
Tired of the SMS inbox almost full warning? Here's how to get rid of it.

1. Go to Installer, push Sources, then Edit, then Add.
2. Type in http://iPhone.totalmatrix.net, then Done, then Refresh.
3. Go to Tweaks (1.1.1) and install "Remove 1000 SMS Limit"
4. Restart your phone, and enjoy unlimited storage!

Special thanks to piranha for showing me how to do this!

How this app works: All messages past 700 will automatically be archived in a separate folder for you. This will keep your SMS inbox screen free from slowing down because of too much data. To be able to view all of your old messages, you must install SMSD. All your messages will be viewable in SMSD, but only your most recent 700 will be available in the native SMS app from Apple.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT

How this app works: All messages past 700 will automatically be archived in a separate folder for you. This will keep your SMS inbox screen free from slowing down because of too much data. To be able to view all of your old messages, you must install SMSD. All your messages will be viewable in SMSD, but only your most recent 700 will be available in the native SMS app from Apple.
It's nice to cite your source. That's a copy paste of something I wrote! Also, it has nothing to do with this thread.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS

Does this work on 1.1.2 as well?

Nov 19, 2011
You can view and back up texts from an iPhone to your PC without jailbreaking it. There are several 3rd party programs that do this. One I recommend is AllYourTexts:

http://www.allyourtexts.com

It lets you view and search all the SMS data from your iPhone on the PC it's sync'ed with. You can also back up your conversations to text files or HTML.

Full disclosure: I'm a developer for the program.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
This is literal spy software to illegally view info from other people's phones.

Do not use this for SMS backup- or anything else

Last edited by a moderator: