Need better reception with iPhone? Try scotch tape!

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
yeah I read that... just something about it makes me not feel safe about it... my reception is good though.. I only get a problem when I go into a supermarket and need to use the phone

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I've put two layers of scotch tape on the sim tray, just to give it a shot. I tested the reception in field mode and it didn't appear to change much. We will see how it works later after I have made some calls.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
OK, I just have to thank you because in my living room in my house my phone always changes to "no service" sometimes I will power the phone on and off (this was AT&T's suggestion) and it will be better but very bad reception. No edge available at all and I cannot receive calls here. I can't even get voicemail when I am in that room. I read this and ran to go get a piece of tape. I put it inside on the back of the sim card (you can't even tell it's there), and to my disbelief I am sitting in the living room with a full signal (all bars!) So a big thank you! It dramatically improved for me!:laugh2: I still can't get over it!

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Anyone knows if this works with the 3G version? I'm having poor signal inside my house and I'm thinking of doing this. I did notice though that the cases for the sims on v1 and v2 are slightly different. Does anyone have any idea if this would work?

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
I am extremely skeptical that this "modification" could actually be responsible for any improvement noted by those who implement it.

The SIM card is basically a serially configured Read-Only-Memory (ROM), that contains information specific to the user and network. Its contacts (and those of the mating socket) are gold plated and designed to make adequate contact. If the power, ground, clock or data pin of the SIM card were to fail to make contact - then the processor would be unable to read the contents of the ROM, and the phone would disallow access to the mobile network. The fact that you are able to access the network verifies that reading of this ROM was successful.

Radio signals do not pass through the SIM card. Radio reception is not directly dependent upon the SIM card, nor is it indirectly dependent upon the SIM card's data content.

?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
What Jim Said x 2.

The SIM card has nothing to do with the RF workings of the cellular radio. If you want better reception, give the antenna a clearer path to the cell tower.

About the only way that this could have any chance of working is if the extra pressure caused a loose antenna connection to be solid again -- but the antenna is in the bottom of the phone, and the SIM is up top.

Sorry.... But I have to call this myth BUSTED. Jamie?

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
What Jim Said x 2.

The SIM card has nothing to do with the RF workings of the cellular radio. If you want better reception, give the antenna a clearer path to the cell tower.

About the only way that this could have any chance of working is if the extra pressure caused a loose antenna connection to be solid again -- but the antenna is in the bottom of the phone, and the SIM is up top.

Sorry.... But I have to call this myth BUSTED. Jamie?
You can't say it's busted based on logic. That's not how the show works. You have to set up a crazy experiment that gives questionable results coupled with some nerdy jokes.

Either way, is it coincidence that it works for so many people?

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Either way, is it coincidence that it works for so many people?
HEAD ON! Apply directly to the forehead. HEAD ON! ..... Kinoki foot pads... Crystals... "Theraputic Touch"... Those little stick-on "antenna boosters" for your cell-phone's BATTERY(?!?!?!). :eek:

People think all kinds of weird things work, and other people profit from this.

Some enterprising fellow is out there right now preparing his $2 "SIM-SHIM" for sale. It improves cellular reception, prolongs battery life and takes away that nasty yellow cast from those inferior cost-cut LCD screens used on the 3G. :cool:

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
that post really only applies to people who always get bad signal
its suggesting that the sim isn't seated correctly

so if you never have had 5 bars then thats something u can try out but its not going to help everyone