Need downloadable world maps for GPS

tom3holer

Nov 12, 2011
Hi,

New to the forum here. I bought my first smartphone, an iPhone 4s, a few weeks ago and don't know how I got along so long without one.

Can anyone suggest a source of downloadable world maps to be used with the iPhone with GPS?
I am an airline pilot that flys worldwide. What I'd like is downloadable region like Asia/Europe maps whose detail need only be countries/major cities. Often while flying over Asia or Europe its difficult to actually tell what country you are over at a given time. You need an external GPS when out of wifi/cell tower range as you are while flying to get GPS coverage. I have the XGPS150 that works very well. It is linked to the phone via bluetooth so no wires. I have downloaded the NatGeo HD maps for Asia/US/Europe. These maps are something you saw in the gradeschool classroom many years ago. Also on a flight yesterday although I had a good link and excellent sat coverage it did not show up on the map. Need to look into that a bit more.
Does anyone had an idea fpor a source newer downloadable world maps tht work with GPS?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Tom

tom3holer

Nov 12, 2011
Thank you for the advice. I did see that app but did not D/L it for one reason or another. Got it earlier today and I think it might just do the trick Than you for the help. Fly to Toyko on the 26 so will se if it indeed will work.

Tom