Need downloadable world maps for GPS

tom3holer

Nov 12, 2011
Hi,

New to the forum here. I bought my first smartphone, an iPhone 4s, a few weeks ago and don't know how I got along so long without one.

Can anyone suggest a source of downloadable world maps to be used with the iPhone with GPS?
I am an airline pilot that flys worldwide. What I'd like is downloadable region like Asia/Europe maps whose detail need only be countries/major cities. Often while flying over Asia or Europe its difficult to actually tell what country you are over at a given time. You need an external GPS when out of wifi/cell tower range as you are while flying to get GPS coverage. I have the XGPS150 that works very well. It is linked to the phone via bluetooth so no wires. I have downloaded the NatGeo HD maps for Asia/US/Europe. These maps are something you saw in the gradeschool classroom many years ago. Also on a flight yesterday although I had a good link and excellent sat coverage it did not show up on the map. Need to look into that a bit more.
Does anyone had an idea fpor a source newer downloadable world maps tht work with GPS?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Tom

tom3holer

Nov 12, 2011
Thank you for the advice. I did see that app but did not D/L it for one reason or another. Got it earlier today and I think it might just do the trick Than you for the help. Fly to Toyko on the 26 so will se if it indeed will work.

Tom

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
I used it when I was in Kenya, but I did download the maps before I left home. Happy landings.