Need Expert Avice on Jailbreaking & Unlocking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techdesigner, Nov 5, 2011.

1. techdesigner

techdesigner New Member

Sorry to be such a noob but I don't need a $100 brick :)

I have an old iPhone that was jailbroken when I bought it. It worked on our AT&T family plan for years w/o data plan. I just bought a 3gs (OS4.3.5/Base05.16.02) from a friend (unjailbroken) to replace it. I would like to update it to the newest OS and use it on AT&T w/o data.

I don't mind doing the work - reading, watching videos or chatting to make this happen. I'm not sure where to start or who to believe, someone told me if I blocked data with AT&T years ago they can't add a data plan without my permission (my calls in the past proved AT&T knows I have an iPhone w/o data).Can I just insert my sim and go. I called to ask AT&T and they said I had not added this to my line. If I try switching sim from old JB iPhone to new 3gs do I have to turn something off to ensure it only access wifi? Will they add the data plan and then I can't switch back to old iPhone?

Somewhere I read the new OS is only tethered, I need blobs from before the phone updated to 4.3.5 which I don't have, base 05.16.02 will not jailbreak, it is impossible to brick an iPhone or it is easy to brick an iPhone.

I read posts that sound good but they are from 5 years ago, are about a different OS, or different baseband. I am not sure of the steps for my phone/OS/BB and what order.

Thanks for any expert advice or even a link to somewhere you trust to get the correct advice!

2. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

If all you want to do is use the newer 3GS on AT&T without data then I'm not sure why you are asking about Jailbreaking and Unlocking. Just put your old sim card in it and go to Settings>General>Network, and disable Cellular Data. You can then use it on WiFi but you will get no data when you are only on a cell network. You can upgrade to the newest firmware with no problem. If you want to Jailbreak for the features you can do that too (tethered only for now).

3. techdesigner

techdesigner New Member

Thanks for a simple answer. Just wanted not to get a bill for the data plan. I may jailbreak later.
    Cheers

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Sure. So long as you keep data off your carrier won't detect data usage and try to put you on a plan. I am using my 3GS the same way with a different phone number from my 4S.