Need help badly......

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by dobymax, Nov 27, 2012.

1. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so if not, please put it in the correct spot.

I have iTunes on my Dell laptop. When I open it up I can see all of my music listed with a check beside each one. When I click on a song, it says "The song could not be used because the file could not be found. Would you like to find it?" I click on Locate and it takes me to a box where the iTunes are listed as media, library, etc.... but every time I click on one, it puts an exclamation mark by the song and it still won't play. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong, or where are the songs? I have almost 1500 songs and can't listen to any of them. Thanks.

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I had a similar issue last summer with my iTunes account last summer.
    It was happening with both purchased songs/tones/alerts and music loaded from my CD clooection.
    Spent a lot of time w/Apple care advanced tech support.
    Wound up moving entire library to a secondary hard drive on PC and installing fresh version of iTunes.
    It was a nightmare.
    Now that drive has failed and I've lost all my loaded music.
    Upside is I've purchased a new Mac Mini with Fusion drive, so will start from scratch. Should be more stable than my old setup.
    Will also be looking at a Time Capsule for secondary backup to avoid this ever again...

3. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

I know what you mean it being a pain. So.....am I screwed? :(

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'll check my old thread, soo if it jars loose any details.
    Someone else will likely chime in here as well....

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Here is the post from earlier this year:

Really Strange iTunes issue

Not much help, I'm afraid.
    After upgrading to that 500GB hard drive and some moe time rebuilding iTunes with Apple tech, the issue did not reoccur, but never did figure out what was really going on....

6. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the reply snowtrooper. Doesn't seem to me that nobody is going to reply. Got me thinking more seriously about going to the Samsung Galaxy III.

7. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor
    Bronze

I had the same prob with some music importing it from USB to iTunes. The first time it would play but only when USB was still plugged in. After I took out the USB it showed the same as you're getting.
    I think, and it was a while ago, I had to create a folder on desktop & import to that first & then to iTunes & then ok. That was all stuff from my own CDs.

8. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I thought my difficulties were based on my lack of iOS experience, but after so much time with advanced Apple tech support, it seemed apparent that there can be some real issues with media management in iTunes.
    To date, it is my sole complaint with iOS.
    Really feel the need to rebuild from the ground up....

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Do you keep your media on an external drive? Has that drive gone offline and back online while iTunes was running? I would recommend to check your Preferences window (you're on Windows so I don't know the exact sequence to make it appear for you), but it'll look like this picture. Then check the string in the "iTunes Media folder location"...

itunesprefpanel.jpg

Make sure it is the actual location where your music files reside.

This has worked for me in the past, but again, I'm on OS X, so I cannot guarantee it'll fix things for you.

10. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Thanks Rafagon. I'll check it out and let you know. Not on a external drive. By the way, do you know how to copy songs to a external hard drive? Someone told me that I should copy my songs to a external hard drive and reinstall iTunes. That is no problem, I just don't know how to copy my songs. Thanks.

11. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Ok, I found the page that sort of looks like the page that you have. I'm on Windows so it's a little different. How do I know what the iTunes Media folder is and what I should change it to? Its clearly not correct to what its set to now. Thanks again.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Ahh! Okay, you're going to have to do a little hunting. I don't know what the default media directory is in Windows....

Maybe do this... Go to Start > Search > and type in a song name that you *know* should be in your media collection. The first few letters should suffice. It should tell you the directory that it's in...

It's going to be something along the lines of "c:\users\<Your Username>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media"... assuming you use the default setting.

Let me know...

Oh, almost forgot... Yeah, to copy files to an external drive, let me give you this link. They will explain it better than I can, as I haven't used Windows for about five years and I don't wanna lead you on a wild goose chase.

Is it to backup your iTunes library? Try this...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

For all-purpose copying, try this link:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/copy-file-windows-7.htm

13. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

This is what I came up with:

C:\Users\Tony\Music\iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries\iTunes Media. This is the location on the screen that looks like yours. I'm thinking I should change it, but to what? I might add that some of the songs I can play, but the majority of them with an exclamation point I can't.

14. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The ones that are -not- playing, is there anything they share in common? Perhaps the ones that aren't playing are the ones you have from imported CDs, and the ones that do play are ones you purchased off the iTunes Store? Or vice versa?

Have you done anything to your computer, or is this happening out of the blue?

You have a folder called "Previous iTunes Libraries"... do you know why? Have you migrated from an old machine to a newer one?

16. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

I think the ones that will play, the majority are ones I purchased, but not all. Its been a while since they wouldn't play and I didn't worry about them. I did change laptops but that was a few years back. Not sure if that was when it happened or not. I guess I'm not too much help. :(

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If you knew for a fact that all your actual music files (for example, .mp3) are still on your hard drive, and the link to them is simply broken, I would tell you to go into iTunes, select all songs, select delete, and say "No" when iTunes asks "Delete from computer?" You would then have 0 entries listed in iTunes and would simply have to find the mega-folder containing all the subfolders with all the songs and drag it into iTunes. This would then re-import everything into iTunes so that it works again. (You -would- lose some meta-data, like Play Count and Date Added, among others, but the music itself would be intact.)

However, I cannot tell you to do that unless you can guarantee that your music files are there. You would have to use Windows' search tools to find your files (this is basically going to the Start menu, then Search, and check enough music files [not every single file] so that you can conclude that they're all there).

I cannot risk making you lose your collection by suggesting this method unless you say your music files are all on your hard drive.

If your whole collection had come from the iTunes Store, then I would tell you to wipe iTunes and all its subdirectories, then re-install it and re-download your music from the Store.

18. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

OK. I copied all of my folders/files from iTunes (music, movies, apps, books) and put them on my hard drive. I'm using the directions that you sent me, the first one. When it says "Drag the iTunes folder (backed up earlier) from your external hard drive to whatever location you desire on your internal hard drive. It is recommended that you choose the default location for the iTunes folder, which is: Windows Vista or Windows 7:\Users\username\My Music\, I don't know where this folder is. Any help?

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

What I would do... And again, I don't have a Windows machine to test it on, so I'm going by my recollection only, is to go to "My Computer" and open that up, then double-click on the C drive, then drill in to Users, then Username, then My Music. Once you have the "My Music" folder open, drag the iTunes folder in here.

Have you deleted all your tracks in iTunes? Highlight all, right click, then delete. When asked if you want to remove from the computer, click on NO! That is very important. You can then go (on iTunes) to File > Import, then navigate to the music folder above.

The reason for the deletion step is to prevent you from ending up with hundreds of duplicates, some that work and some that don't.

20. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Well, I did get them the songs to work again. I do understand what you're saying and I didn't delete them from my recycle bin, but I don't have the 1495 that I had before. Right now I have 121 songs, but at least they all play now. Now I have to see if i can find the others. My library is now /Users/Tony/Music/iTunes1/iTunes Media. I'm still having problems with movies, but the Books are okay. The Apps are blank but hopefully when I hook up my iPhone they will come back and the movies will work again. I'll let you know.