NEED HELP- Custom Ringtone not loading

Drea08

Apr 28, 2008
Hello Everyone!

I am having troubles loading my ringtones onto my iTunes. I changed the files to m4r but for some odd reason I cannot add the file to my ringtones folder and it wont let my drag and drop either.......HELP please?!?!?!

C

contemptx

How did you create your ringtone?
How did you convert the file format? renaming the file extension will not work.

Your best bet is to use iTunes to create the ringtones or ftp the ringtones to your iPhone and use an application like sendsong to use them as a ringtone.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
or you can just simply use garage band, its so simple, and plus say if you wanted to use just the chorus in a song you can get in amongst the song and edit it to your hearts content!

any probs give us a shout

Drea08

Apr 28, 2008
Thanks guys....much appreciated!

I tired the Garage Band but I think I have to pay for it. because I downloaded a version of download.com and it said when I use it there will be a voice over during the song?!?!?!

I tired to convert the songs in iTunes by changing it to ACC? I'm not too sure I was pretty confused....close to pulling out my hair! haha

Drea08

Apr 28, 2008
I did all that......but it just won't let me add it on the ringtone folder in iTunes.....even if I drag and drop?!?!?

because those steps seem pretty forward......

Drea08

Apr 28, 2008
OH also my phone is 1.1.4 does that matter?

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If you know how to SSH into your iPhone, you can take your .m4r ringtone and directly add it to your ringtones folder in the phone. (that's the ringtone folder that has all your stock ringtones in it) I think the path is <root>/library/ringtones

With only 4 posts, you may not know what that is. If not, use the search feature and spend a few hours reading up, and welcome, if no one has said that yet.

Drea08

Apr 28, 2008
Ya I have no idea wat SSH is.....and Im using a PC.

I just followed:

Change song to 30 secs
Add to iTunes and convert to ACC
Went to Windows Explore and changed the .mp3 to .m4r

Butttttt still couldnt add it to the Ring tones folder *SIGH*:mad:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Ya I have no idea wat SSH is.....and Im using a PC.

I just followed:

Change song to 30 secs
Add to iTunes and convert to ACC
Went to Windows Explore and changed the .mp3 to .m4r

Butttttt still couldnt add it to the Ring tones folder *SIGH*:mad:
After changing the file extension to .m4r, you should delete the original .mp3 from your iTunes library. Then double click on the remaining .m4r file and it will move it to your ringtones folder. sync the phone and you should be good to go.

Drea08

Apr 28, 2008
OK I have tired and tired over and over again and I am just not getting anywhere with this. I followed all the steps but it still doesn't allow me to add the m4r file into the ringtone folder :oops:

Are there other ways to do this?

Thanks again for all your help:laugh2:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
OK I have tired and tired over and over again and I am just not getting anywhere with this. I followed all the steps but it still doesn't allow me to add the m4r file into the ringtone folder :oops:

Are there other ways to do this?

Thanks again for all your help:laugh2:
Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.

Drea08

Apr 28, 2008
Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.

Will it turn my phone into a Brick? Im honestly really new with all this, and I got my phone from the states and Im in Vancouver, Canada?

Someone told me not to 'Update' my iTunes because somethings that happens?

Is this true?

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Don't think you are the only one who has problems making ringtones and getting them to port over to iTunes. For a while I was simply using "Ringtones". That's a program in installer that lets you make ringtones directly from your iPhone. No need for a computer there. However, if you have to restore, you will lose them, since they are saved in the same folder that your stock ringtones are stored. Here is a tutorial to get that repository on your installer list.

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=839

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Will it turn my phone into a Brick? Im honestly really new with all this, and I got my phone from the states and Im in Vancouver, Canada?

Someone told me not to 'Update' my iTunes because somethings that happens?

Is this true?
Well I know that you have to have one of the latest versions of iTunes for the .mp3 - .m4r conversion to work. If you update iTunes it won't brick your phone. The only way iTunes can brick your phone is if you let iTunes update your phone's firmware. It won't do that automatically. It always gives you an option to choose whether or not you want to update the firmware.

Drea08

Apr 28, 2008
WoW!

Im really new to forums and all this good stuff here.......Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for being sooo helpful! :laugh2:

But I hope I get this ring tone thing soon lol

Drea08

Apr 28, 2008
OK so I tired to do the ring tones through the installer but it says I have to install BSD....so I tired to do that but it wont let me. It keeps saying must install BSD Package but it just doesn't allow me.....

ericvking

Feb 14, 2009
Ringtones not working

Hi there, I saw you having trouble with the same thing I had a problem with and I could not for the life of me find out what is the problem. What worked for me was that your ringtone must not be longer than 30 seconds.

Hope that works for you too! ;)

Edit: I think that was the problem all of the ringtones I am creating works now! FYI