Need Help - Headphone Connector

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
So I bought a cable to hook up my iPhone to my car to the aux input and well today part of it broke off inside the iPhone. Now my phone thinks headphones are always connected and when I dial a number I can't hear people because of this.

Should I just take it to the Apple store and see if they can fix it? I am not sure how to get it out.

A picture is attached to show what I am talking about.

Attachments

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Sorry about your problem. I was at the Apple store yesterday. Had a problem with the sim card compartment being stuck. They have a lot of tools and seem to know what they are doing.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Good luck with that. I say exhaust all other options first. But if nothing ever works and you're stuck I would try taking another tip and putting a small drop of CA glue on the tip. Stick the tip down in the socket and try to get good contact. Let it sit for about a minute and try to slowly pull it out. Last result only thought... good luck.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
Good luck with that. I say exhaust all other options first. But if nothing ever works and you're stuck I would try taking another tip and putting a small drop of CA glue on the tip. Stick the tip down in the socket and try to get good contact. Let it sit for about a minute and try to slowly pull it out. Last result only thought... good luck.
I thought about that and read it somewhere else, but I really don't want glue on my phone - :p

I am just going to take it to them and see if they can get it out. I have read that they have helped others before. Besides I am already at work now and don't have the part that broke off that fits on the part inside the phone.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
LOL - Dishonest Option #1 "Mr Genius, my phone no longer has any volume?, I think the Speaker is Dead."

Let us know how it goes, I worry that they may give it a try and fail to pull it out and then pull the old "wasn't our product that caused the damage." ... However, this is Apple perhaps they will surprise us.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
LOL - Dishonest Option #1 "Mr Genius, my phone no longer has any volume?, I think the Speaker is Dead."

Let us know how it goes, I worry that they may give it a try and fail to pull it out and then pull the old "wasn't our product that caused the damage." ... However, this is Apple perhaps they will surprise us.
I thought about doing that - :p

They said it's not covered - :\

I found some forcep tweezers at Radio Shack. I am now trying to pull it out myself. It's not going to well - :\

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I thought about doing that - :p

They said it's not covered - :\

I found some forcep tweezers at Radio Shack. I am now trying to pull it out myself. It's not going to well - :\
Sucks when doing the honest thing results in "It's not covered." however I realize the cost of doing such.

Good luck with the tweezers however, I would bet that it is wedged in there pretty good "The end of the tip has a locking wedge behind it."

Perhaps stick the tweezers in and try to open them up, and then turn the phone upside down. This might relieve the tension put on the stuck piece.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would use a paperclip and clear epoxy. You can buy this stuff in hardware stores... it comes in a dual tube... you mix the liquids and they become an extremely hard resin within 5 minutes (if you get the 5-minute curing kind). It's quite possibly the most useful stuff ever, so don't worry about buying a whole tube of it for this tiny application.

Mix up a small portion of it and put THE SMALLEST DAB POSSIBLE on the end of a paperclip. You might want to rough up the tip of the paperclip with a metal file just to ensure good contact. Likewise, hopefully there is a slight jagged point to your broken-off connector for the epoxy to grab onto.

But yeah, use the smallest drop possible, stick it down in until you make contact, then hold it there for 6 minutes. DO NOT TOUCH THE SIDES. Then gently pull. I have a feeling this will be your only recourse at this point other than opening the unit.

Ever play "Operation"? :D

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
the point of contact will be too small imo.
It wont be a large enough surface to pull it out, if the tip is actually stuck in there and wont fall out with shaking.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I dunno. That epoxy is amazing stuff. Just today, in fact, I refastened the center console of my car to the floor with the last little squeeze of an old tube. It was only enough for the corners, but I held it there for 10 minutes, and it was solid as a rock.

If it can grab the post at all, I bet it can pull it out of the spring-hold mechanism of that jack.

Respekt da 'poxy. :)

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
No worries, They have special tools incase this happens. Im sure with all the millions of ipod/iPhone owners the headphone plug has broken off and remained inside the device. They will be able to take it out, just let them do it so they cant void your warranty for opening the phone to DIY.

Im sure the tool looks similar to the tool they use in the event of if the USB connector breaks off inside the phone.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I got it out! - :D

When I got home I asked my wife if we had any super glue. We don't have that but we had crazy clue (considering a co-worker thought it was crazy to use glue, it was fitting). I put some on the end that was broke off, let it site for a minute and then pulled and out it came.