Need Help - I phone 3G vs. LG Dare

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
I am just not happy with AT&T service, I am thinking about switching to Verizon, but wanted to know what you thought about the LG Dare phone compared to the iPhone 3G, I love the Phone but cannot take it to Verizon.

Just trying to get some feedback. Thanks in advance.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I am just not happy with AT&T service, I am thinking about switching to Verizon, but wanted to know what you thought about the LG Dare phone compared to the iPhone 3G, I love the Phone but cannot take it to Verizon.

Just trying to get some feedback. Thanks in advance.
I saw the Dare last week.

One thing that really bothers me about the touchscreen on the Dare is that you really have to push down on the screen for it to recognize you're touching it. Its a pain when typing on the keyboard. The nice thing about the iPhone is that all you need is a slight touch for it to recognize touches.... Gotta love that glass screen.

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Thats true, does anyone know if the Dare has a full browser like the iPhone or is it just the mobile version of everything?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Thats true, does anyone know if the Dare has a full browser like the iPhone or is it just the mobile version of everything?
Its the full HTML like the iPhone from what I can remember, but it really cannot compare to the iPhone's browsing experience.

Btw, I'm not biased towards the iPhone or anything. I'm just sharing what I think of each phone.

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Thats cool, and thats what I had asked for and I thank you. I just want to get a feel of it to see if I want to switch or not. I love the iPhone. I love everything you can do with it, but not into AT&T so much. But what can ya do. I love that I have 16GB unlike other phones, gotta use the SD cards.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I looked into the Dare before I got the iPhone cause I was with verizon and loved my verizon service.

I looked online for many side by side comparisons of the Dare, iPhone and the Voyager. Search on google and you should be able to find them as well.

What it all came down to was while many critics though the Dare and Voyager were good attempts, none of them came close to the iPhone in ease of use and looks. There were some features of the Dare and Voyager they liked, for instance when you touch the Dare and Voyager they vibrate, but overall, the iPhone won.

That is what made my decision for me. That and Verizon would let me upgrade my plan, but wouldn't let me upgrade my phone for two more months so I just switched.

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Yeah I am still just up in the air about if I want to switch to the LG Dare.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
i'd say wait under the blackberry storm/thunder comes out. it's a timed exclusive with verizon.

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
My biggest problem is I am in the Houston area, and suspose to have GREAT 3G service but don't get 3G most of the time, went to San Antonio for vacation and had 3G the whole time, I understand if we in Houston would/should not have it but AT&T told me when I signed up and still to this day say we have great 3G service but don't have any, so what is the point in paying for something if I don't have it.

StuDawg

Sep 18, 2008
U.K
If the new LG Dare is anything like the Samsung Omnia, you will be disappointed as i was... I had the Omnia for a week before taking it back... The damn thing was not easy to use... Windows mobile has a lot of catching up to do when you look at the feature's the iPhone has, and not to mension how easy it is to use...

Just trying to sync the Omnia was a nightmare, it would not let you sync to the larger 8gb memory part of the phone, it would only sync contacts and about 1 album's worth of music before you would get a error message saying storage low... You had to manually place everything in folders created in the larger storage space... Pain in the a**

Sep 6, 2008
My dad only lasted with the Dare for about a week before he took it back to Verizon. After playing around with it a little myself I don't think it can compete with the iPhone at all. The touch screen isn't very responsive at all and its nowhere near as easy to navigate throughout the phone as the iPhone. Personally I love my iPhone and I may be a little bias so I'll be the first one to say that but the LG Dare just isn't as enjoyable of a phone experience as the iPhone is and I don't know anyone that disagrees with me on that.
And if the only reason you want to switch is because you don't have a strong 3g signal in your area I would first consider this...I travel around to different areas a bit and sometimes I don't have 3g service at all for days but even on the edge network the iPhone is still a great internet experience. You're not going to get that with the Dare and I know that from first hand experience.

But everyone is different, the only way you'll really know is if you try it out for yourself...so good luck!

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Yeah after playing with other phones with different carriers I cannot find anything else in which I like that will compare to the iPhone, so for now I am just stay with AT&T and my iPhone 3G.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I was on the Verizon Network for 11 years, I just recently switched to AT&T here in Tucson Arizona. The 3G Network here is a joke compared to Verizon which worked everywhere I traveled. However, when it comes to phones, I don't think anything can touch the iPhone, and I do most of my browsing on my home wifi network anyway.

tbs

Bronze
Aug 23, 2008
I was on the Verizon Network for 11 years, I just recently switched to AT&T here in Tucson Arizona.
I, too, switched from being a long time Verizon user. I had the Voyager. It was horrible! The only truly nice feature on the Voyager was the turn-by-turn GPS with voice. It uses triangulation and one time I was driving through WV and there was a detour that took us through the darkest back country roads and we totally lost contact with cell towers and so no navigation.

The Vcast software was a joke too! The entire phone was cumbersome to use. When I first picked up the iPhone 3G I was off and running. I had the thing fully customized and music loaded on it in a matter of minutes.

And to make things even better I have full 3G service on Nantucket. An island that is 30 miles out to sea.
:)