Need help-Lots of Questions

Marley

Apr 26, 2009
Hey guys ill be with AT&T within the next two months hopefully for the first time and I have a few questions to ask.

I am under 18 by the way.

1. Will i be able to start a new contract/plan with AT&T without any problems, and what is the process of doing that and will I get my Own number etc? Just answer that and add on please.

2. Is getting a 16g 3g White refurbished iPhone they have offered a good deal? I mean they said the only bad thing is a few scratches if that.

3. I will have an individual plan so what is the best way to go about this and how will it work? I want unlimited texting, 3g, and the least amount of minutes i can get.

4. What are contract policies and return policies etc for AT&T? Basically anything and everything I should know.

5. How much am I looking to pay monthly based off of the information above? Also how much is it to activate a contract or a plan? If any.

Thank you for your time and help in advance :laugh2:

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
ok, im with you there. i am under 18 and wanted to do the same thing. the only problem is that they need to do a credit check. in my situation, i got my mom to put it under her name, but used my name. then, when the bill comes, i pay her. Im not quite positive what they will do(im assuming that you don't have "a credit score". as for pricing. i think that the lowest minutes if 450 and that is 69.99 plus 20 dollars more for unlimited text. also as for the refurb phone, im not sure. i bought mine new. i would say save for an extra month or so and buy the new.
if you have any more questions, feel free to pm me or im me on aim(mitchellm492)

also welcome to the forum!
~mark

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm pretty sure you will not be able to create an account by yourself... telecom companies (or anyone else, for that matter) are not legally able to keep minors under contracts.

refurbs are just fine (they should not even have scratches)... but it is very likely a new model will be released this summer, so it may be worth your while to wait another month or two.

as a ballpark figure, i'm guessing your monthly fee for low minutes/unlimited text/3g would be around $100. Activation is normally around $30.

Marley

Apr 26, 2009
okay that helps.
but i have my own checking account
will that work?

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
is it under your name, or your parents name. also, if you are trying to do this without them knowing... i would advise against it. im 17 so i know all about the parents, but hiding an iPhone....not the best idea :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
bank account doesn't matter. the fact of the matter is you are a minor and cannot legally enter into a contract under any circumstances. At least that is my understanding.

Marley

Apr 26, 2009
ugh damnit
okay
so whats the way to get a contract then..?
and can my parents look up texts and read them?
anything i should know or be aware of?

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
no your parents cannot look at your texts unless they get ahold of your phone. besides that, just get them to put it under their name and then pay them every month. thats what i do and it works great.
good luck!

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I've had 4 reconditioned iPhones, finally after the last one broke I threatened Apple if they didn't send me out a new phone I'd go ahead and cancel my contract with AT&T and sell the reconditioned/refurbished phone they did send out on ebay. Received a brand new black 3G 16 gig iPhone the following day.