Need help making ringtone in GarageBand

Footwork

Jun 29, 2007
Ok so I want to make a ringtone. I go in GarageBand with a MP3 i cut it down to what i want i upload it to iTunes. Sadly the time sitll says 4:01 and it should be shorter. I change the extentipon to m4r and i try dragging it and it wont work. Can someone teach me in a step to step way. ive looked at all the ways but none work.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
put your already cut song into iTunes. Right click on it in iTunes and covert to acc. Right click on that new converted file and show it in windows. When it shows it to you in windows, grab it and put it on your desktop. From there you right click on it and change the format to m4r. Take it and put it in your ringtone directory. Synch and you're good. Hope this helps. I use wavepad as opposed to garage to cut it down to 25 seconds. Its free, too.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
1. Find a song you want to use as a ringtone.
2. Use whatever program you use to "clip" a section under 30 seconds long.(Audacity is a Freeware Program)
3. Double click the shortened file and it will go into the "Music" section of iTunes and it will start to play.
4. Right click on the file and choose the "Convert to AAC" from the drop down menu.
5. You will now have two of the same files in the iTunes Music Playlist.
6. Right click on one of the two and choose "show in (to locate the file) explorer."
7. Right click on the song with the m4a to m4r extension. You can delete the other one from that folder. If you don't see the file extension then you need to open your Explorer (myComputer) go to tools/folder options/view then go and make sure you have un-checked next to "Hide extensions for known file types".
8. Change the extension from m4a to m4r.
9 Go to iTunes and delete BOTH of the files from the playlist. Just make sure you click on "keep files."
10. Now go back to the folder you have the m4r file and double click it. It should go into the "ringtone folder" of iTunes.
11. Connect your iPhone, click on the "ringtone" tab and the song you need will be on the list. Check the check box and press the apply button lower right

Footwork

Jun 29, 2007
1. Find a song you want to use as a ringtone.
2. Use whatever program you use to "clip" a section under 30 seconds long.(Audacity is a Freeware Program)
3. Double click the shortened file and it will go into the "Music" section of iTunes and it will start to play.
4. Right click on the file and choose the "Convert to AAC" from the drop down menu.
5. You will now have two of the same files in the iTunes Music Playlist.
6. Right click on one of the two and choose "show in (to locate the file) explorer."
7. Right click on the song with the m4a to m4r extension. You can delete the other one from that folder. If you don't see the file extension then you need to open your Explorer (myComputer) go to tools/folder options/view then go and make sure you have un-checked next to "Hide extensions for known file types".
8. Change the extension from m4a to m4r.
9 Go to iTunes and delete BOTH of the files from the playlist. Just make sure you click on "keep files."
10. Now go back to the folder you have the m4r file and double click it. It should go into the "ringtone folder" of iTunes.
11. Connect your iPhone, click on the "ringtone" tab and the song you need will be on the list. Check the check box and press the apply button lower right
It wont go to the ringtone folder btw I am using a mac

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
In garageband, make a loop over the section of the song you want to use as a ringtone, then go to Share>send ringtone to iTunes and voila. Couldn't be simpler.

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
You're doing it right but...

You are doing it right. I had the same problem also. When it says it can't send it to iTunes because it is too long and asks you to do something click yes. A yellow bar will appear. That is what you need to size down to the size of your song. Not sure what it is called, I was just messing around with it having the same problem and it worked for me. For some some reason even though you trim the song down and move it all the way to the left it doesn't really cut the size down.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
You are doing it right. I had the same problem also. When it says it can't send it to iTunes because it is too long and asks you to do something click yes. A yellow bar will appear. That is what you need to size down to the size of your song. Not sure what it is called, I was just messing around with it having the same problem and it worked for me. For some some reason even though you trim the song down and move it all the way to the left it doesn't really cut the size down.
you have to use the loop bar (yellow bar) to highlight what part of the song you want.

Footwork

Jun 29, 2007
yes i used the cycle button. Its 28 seconds and its a m4r and i tried dragging to the ringtone section and it just wont go.

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
Ahh...

Yeah...the yellow bar... :laugh2:

I forgot. After I use GarageBand to edit I change the file extension to .m4a and use iToner to put them on my iPhone.