Need help please...iPhone is in eternal coma :((

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by fefil, Oct 24, 2011.

1. fefil

fefil New Member

hello everybody,

I've just joined this forum hoping that someone will shed some light on the darkness I am in at the moment. I got an iPhone 3GS from 02 about two years ago. I had it unlocked a few month back as I need to use other cards when on holiday. The phone was unlocked in a shop, not from 02.
    Out of ignorance I made the big mistake of trying to upgrade from 4 to io5. Well, everything went wrong, after hours waiting for upgrade iTunes came with the news that the phone did not have a sim card, which is has and I even tried other cards to see if the sim was faulty and it is not a sim problem.
    I haven't got a clue about what jailbreak is, I don't even know if unlocking is the same as jailbreaking. My technical knowledge is next to nothing :(
    I've been to the Apple store today and was greeted by a less than friedly Genius- unusual to them, being unfriendly -who probably thought I did jailbreak the phone to bypass Apple restrictions. Anyway he told me to go to 02 as he cannot solve the problem. I've been to 02 and they also say it's not their businesss and I should go to the people who did the unlocking.

I'm now left with a problem with no solution, I haven't got a penny to buy a new phone, can't even afford to renew my contract. I'm trying not to make a big drama of this, but it was a phone I loved and can't even consider buying a new one.
    Is there any way I can undo everything I did? Any advice very welcome, but pleease bear in mind you're talking to a person who knows nothing about this stuff, so I need a step by step advice, if possible.
    Thank you!

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Someone here will help you
    I am at a loss about Jailbreak too and unlock is something else
    To make it easier to the experts tell them where you are at UK ?
    Do you have anything on your screen ?
    Any information you have from the unlock ?

3. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

You can start by putting your iPhone into DFU mode, then trying to restore with iTunes...then feedback to the forum if you hit any error messages... search Google,YouTube on help to get into DFU mode.

4. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Open iTunes. Plug your phone in. Press and hold home and lock button for 25+ seconds. You should see the plug into iTunes logo. Follow the iTunes instructions. I just fixed a phone today that way

5. fefil

fefil New Member

I did press and hold the power and home keys, connected to iTunes and iTunes said I have to restore the phone. I didn't do anything 'cos I didn't know. Shall I try it again and restore it? If I do it do I stand any chance that it will work again?
    But recovery mode is not the same as dfu according to what I read somewhere..
    In dfu you get a black screen, don't you?
    Would recovery mode be enough or i need to do the more complicated dfu.
    But, anyway, if I take the phone to shop where it was unlocked, is it likely they'll be able to make it work?

6. fefil

fefil New Member

I did that twice, gone into dfu mode, all black screen iTunes asks to restore, so I did and nothing much happened, back to square one when iTunes says it can't find a sim card.
    I can't find a way to restore to 4.3.5 (I think it's what it was before io5).

7. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

What carrier are you on?

8. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

She's on O2... assuming she's in the UK

9. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Are you saying you managed to do a clean restore with iTunes but unable to activate iPhone because iTunes cannot find sim...? what's showing on the screen of your iPhone...?

10. fefil

fefil New Member

Yes, that's exactly what happened, i did restore the phone and iTunes keeps saying there's no sim card so can't activate.
    The phone screen is grey asking to configure and I keep choosing langauge/country and when get to end iTunes will say over n over again: There is no sim card in the iPhone you're trying to activate. Please disconnect and insert a sim card.
    What to do? The sim card is there :(
    I'm in UK-South Wales.

11. fefil

fefil New Member

Thank you guys, anyway. It's 12.30am here, not sure where you all are. Going to bed now..If anyone comes up with any idea, it will be very welcome :)
    But I guess I should take the phone to the shop that unlocked it and see if they can do something, if not just have to accept it.

12. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Okay I take it you're on a different carrier and what your phone is made to run on. So that's the reason for the unlock correct? If that's the case you going to need to find somebody with a Sim it'll make that phone activate first. Then you need to research on how to unlock the phone again so you can use it.

13. raziiq

raziiq New Member

Hey there.

What i see is, if you have hash files for your device, you can always downgrade but that is definitely not gonna downgrade your baseband.

If you are on an official sim, you can always update from iTunes straight away but i think you don't have that right?

Try googling for Grevey Sim for iPhone 3GS on iOS5.

14. slayer666

slayer666 Member
    Bronze

Did the people that unlocked your phone changed the base band to the iPad base band? Because my mate had the same problem and he had to get a new phone

Sent from my white iPhone 4S

15. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Assuming you have an original O2 iPhone and you are trying to activate with an O2 sim and failing you might have a physical problem with the iPhone....try Google/YouTube the problem...it's well known issue

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Moved to iPhone Unlock.

You can fix this by installing the iPad baseband and hacktivating (if you have a 4.x SHSH).

17. fefil

fefil New Member

Oh, I don't even know what baseband means :(

18. fefil

fefil New Member

I did google for Gevey sim and found the link below.
    I says it does not work on the final io5 release.
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2011/gevey-sim-and-ios-5-unlock/
    Thank you.

19. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

You should be able to get a free factory unlock with O2.

20. fefil

fefil New Member

I've been to 02 shop in Cardiff yesterday, the guy said he can't do anything. Perhaps 'cos the phone has been unlocked in a shop already, how can it be unlocked again?