Need help regarding all my data

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Cloverfield, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Member
    Bronze

So basically my laptop screwed up so bad that I had to completely reinstall Windows7 and start from absolutely scratch. I have reinstalled iTunes but of course all of my music, apps and everything else is gone. Where do I go from here regarding everything on my iPhone. If I was to connect and sync I presume it would sync (nothing) and I would lose everything currently on my iPhone? If not, how do I do a backup of everything on my iPhone so that when iOS8 or the iPhone 6 is released I can update/sync without losing anything?

Many thanks for your time and would appreciate any answer :)

2. Shervinbashar

Shervinbashar New Member

Do you have them on your iCloud as a backup?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can put your photos in a cloud based app like Dropbox or Box. That gets them off your camera roll and gives you more space. You can always add them back later. Most apps and music you can delete, then download back later from the purchased list. But be careful not to delete any game with progress, or you'll lose the progress. But most apps you can delete. And back up to iCloud before you delete stuff and turn off auto backup to keep it as is. That's what I would do without a computer. If you have iTunes back on your laptop, back up your phone to that.

4. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Member
    Bronze

Oh good I can backup before I sync? I don't have enough iCloud space to put everything on there as you have to pay to extend the capacity.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You'll have to either delete or sync your music. But photos can be put on Box. You get 10 gb free storage. I use Box. I don't know how much free storage comes with Dropbox. But either should be enough for photos. How many photos do you have on your phone?

6. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Member
    Bronze

Including videos about 1400. I'm not too bothered about losing music on my phone but I really don't want to lose my messages, contacts and apps!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't have a backup of the computer and the computer is now formatted, correct?

You won't lose your apps. Ever. Just download them again. The purchase history is saved. itunes-purchased music can be downloaded again as well.

If your computer is set up again after the fresh reinstall, you can sync all of your photos and videos to the computer.

Be sure to get a backup drive if you don't already have one. Otherwise, use DropBox or something like that to keep your photos safe.

Backing up in iCloud will save your messages. The only other ways are though jailbreaking or third party apps. If you don't have enough iCloud space, you'll need to start managing it more wisely. A few of the biggest mistakes are sharing an iCloud account with a spouse (you could get your own and have your own space), backing up too many devices to one account (back some of them up to the computer instead), and not toggling off apps that are iCloud space-hogs such as Pinterest. Look at the management page in iCloud and toggle off what you can.

Contacts, bookmarks and notes are all stored in the cloud. They'll sync back on when you log into iCloud, so you don't need to worry about losing them.

8. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Member
    Bronze

Ok I've just tried to backup my phone to iCloud. It will take 9.5 GB. I have 5 GB. I've just tried to buy the 10 GB storage but the Apple ID is incorrect and it is greyed out which means I can't change it to the proper Apple ID address. How can I change the address so I can buy more storage?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't need to buy more storage. Did you see my tips for managing storage? Why not just save some money and backup in iTunes on the computer? Otherwise, if you still want to use iCloud for backups, you should be able to easily get it under 5 GB. How many devices are you backing up to iCloud? How big is your camera roll when you manage storage in iCloud? This isn't the only route for saving your photos. Just sync them to your computer. The money would be better spent on a backup drive, IMO. Do you already have one?

#9 Europa, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think it's a waste of money, but if you still want to do it, log out of iCloud and log back in.

11. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Member
    Bronze

I'm not re downloading my apps all over again. I have 174. My camera roll is 5.8GB and the apps must be a further 3.8GB. I am only backing up 1 device.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Your apps are already on your phone. Why would you have to download them again now? You do have to sync or download them again when you get a new phone.

Are you willing to pay Apple every year to keep your photos backed up in iCloud when you could back them up on your computer or in DropBox or other cloud services for free? You don't have to backup to iCloud. You can backup to iTunes for free. Many people assume iCloud is the only option. We all had iPhones for years before it existed and we backed them up in iTunes for free.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Also, you do not have to backup to iCloud to sync with iCloud. iCloud syncing of contacts, bookmarks, etc. is not dependent of backing up to iCloud. You can still use iTunes for that.

14. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Member
    Bronze

So I can definitely back everything up to iTunes? Every year I've got a new iPhone I have just synced it up with my iTunes and it's installed all the apps and photos on there no problem but this is the first time my iTunes has literally nothing on it so not entirely sure what happens when you connect an iPhone to iTunes with nothing on it lol. If I can make a backup straight away then it's happy days and when I get the iPhone 6 I'll just sync from the backup. That sound about right?

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Failing to backup your computer or even just your iTunes library is risky so you'll want to get an external drive as soon as possible. You can transfer your app purchases from your phone to your computer. Your main concern is the photos, right? You can transfer them to the computer. Windows will see it as a camera. Does iTunes tell you you'll need to restore the phone?

16. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Member
    Bronze

Luckily I got most of my photos on my external hard drive before the computer was wiped so pretty much got all that. I haven't tried to plug in the iPhone yet and I've got to be up in a few hours for work so won't be able to try it till after but I will post back in this topic tomorrow with what it says. Thanks for your time.