need help/suggestions please!

masudz316

Sep 22, 2009
hello all!

Just recently my iPhones lock button stopped functioning out of the blue. I've never dropped my phone before or have done any damage to my knowledge. So now I'm dealing with a phone that doesn't lock. For the past couple days I've had to conserve my phones battery by decreasing the brightness all the way down. My phone dies on me significantly faster now without the button. My warranty has expired which leaves me almost no choice but to either pay the $250 repair or upgrading my iPhone and renewing my contract(very inconvenient for me). Is there any way around this which I'm not aware of? I really don't want to cough up over $200 for one button that doesn't work. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
hello all!

Just recently my iPhones lock button stopped functioning out of the blue. I've never dropped my phone before or have done any damage to my knowledge. So now I'm dealing with a phone that doesn't lock. For the past couple days I've had to conserve my phones battery by decreasing the brightness all the way down. My phone dies on me significantly faster now without the button. My warranty has expired which leaves me almost no choice but to either pay the $250 repair or upgrading my iPhone and renewing my contract(very inconvenient for me). Is there any way around this which I'm not aware of? I really don't want to cough up over $200 for one button that doesn't work. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
You have a few options depending on what you want to achieve.

If you want to repair the button, there is noway it will cost $250. Search online and you will find it a lot cheaper than that.

It sounds like you have auto lock switched off also, in settings and general you can have the screen auto lock. Might save you a bit of power. Im sure if you jailbreak your iPhone you could have it lock faster by messing with one of the strings... This app may also help. Ive heard it works quite well

If you let me know what you actually want, a repair or a workaround, ill look deeper into it for you

Last edited by a moderator:

masudz316

Sep 22, 2009
You have a few options depending on what you want to achieve.

If you want to repair the button, there is noway it will cost $250. Search online and you will find it a lot cheaper than that.

It sounds like you have auto lock switched off also, in settings and general you can have the screen auto lock. Might save you a bit of power. Im sure if you jailbreak your iPhone you could have it lock faster by messing with one of the strings... This app may also help. Ive heard it works quite well

If you let me know what you actually want, a repair or a workaround, ill look deeper into it for you

I made a visit to the Apple store and the dude told me it was actually $250 for repair:( which is ridiculous lol.
And for the auto-lock function, it does work but then there is no way for me to unlock it. It keeps displaying the Apple symbol repeatedly, which leaves me no choice but to plug my phone up to revive it.
I really don't want to cough up a ton of cash so i may resort to jailbreaking. I don't know to much about it. Will my phone have limitations if i do decide to go through with it? (ie. internet, iTunes, etc)

I appreciate the help! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I made a visit to the Apple store and the dude told me it was actually $250 for repair:( which is ridiculous lol.
And for the auto-lock function, it does work but then there is no way for me to unlock it. It keeps displaying the Apple symbol repeatedly, which leaves me no choice but to plug my phone up to revive it.
I really don't want to cough up a ton of cash so i may resort to jailbreaking. I don't know to much about it. Will my phone have limitations if i do decide to go through with it? (ie. internet, iTunes, etc)

I appreciate the help! :eek:k:eek:k
Apple will charge premium prices for repairs but there are plenty of places that will do it cheaper.

I totally forgot that once the screen is locked, you wouldn't be able to unlock it! lol Sorry!

Jailbreaking is exceptionally easy now, check out the modification part of EIC. You still have the same functionality you had before and then some. There are some GREAT jailbreak apps available, and once you do it, you will realise how you lived with your iPhone before. You can run background apps, change themes / tones etc. You also have more utilities available to you such as SBSettings and OpenSSH. Check it out, its not as scary as people make out!

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
juls1585 said:
also the part that isn't working for you is the slider at the bottom of the screen or the button at the top?
Neither... Its the home button. The round button at the bottom of the phone. Not the slider that appears on screen

masudz316

Sep 22, 2009
I just wanted to let you guys know that my clicker button randomly started working today, but now my volume button doesn't function anymore. I did some research on iPhone repair shops and I found one close by my work. I appreciate the help guys. Take care!