Need Help Theming in iFile?

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by EverythingApple, Jan 16, 2015.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

When we only had to change Icon@2x.png I had no problem. But, now I can't get any apps to theme. I've tried just theming the AppIcon60x60@2x.png but it didn't work. I tried doing all three, the 60x60, 40x40 and the 29x29. I've changed Icon@2x.png too. All to no avail. I'm lost and disgusted.

Here's what I do:
    1. I save image to photos.
    2. I go in iFile to MEDIA/DCIM/ folder where image is.
    3. I rename image to AppIcon60x60@2x.png.
    4. I edit, copy/link.
    5. Than go to APPLICATIONS/ app I want.
    6. I find AppIcon60x60@2x.png and change name.
    7. Than I edit/paste.
    8. I respring. And nothing.

My screen is zoomed if that matters. I tried using standard screen and it didn't matter.

Any help? Thanks.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I sympathize with you. Manual theming was easier before the dark times - before the Empire.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think it works correctly anymore if you change the actual system files because of caches. If you can find the cache files to delete, it will work. I used to change the dock by changing the actual system file, but there were two caches in odd file locations that I would have to delete before it would apply. It's easier if you use WinterBoard for this. Put the folder with the icons you're changing in the Themes folder.

4. EverythingApple

Gold

Thanks, I'll try that.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Also, download a complete theme so you can see what the folder and icon names should be. Then you can make your own theme. For example:
    image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

6. EverythingApple

Gold

Suggestion for a complete theme?

How about if I copy my applications folder to the boss ios8 theme and delete all the non icon stuff from the apps? Than I can try to theme the icons.

7. EverythingApple

Gold

So using the myAT&T app, I replaced all original icons with the themed one, for a total of 14. I deleted the originals. I resprang and the original app icon is still there. I emptied trash. I searched "icon" in iFile and no other icons came up that need changing.

I just found out all my themed icons are 180x180 but should be 120x120, per https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/IconMatrix.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006556-CH27-SW1

I tried using a 120x120 icon in place of one of the files, the AppIcon60x60@2x.png and it didn't matter.

I'm so lost. I need breadcrumbs.

#7 EverythingApple, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  8. EverythingApple

Gold

My last ditch I created a directory in the boss ios8 theme bundles.

I created com.tdbank.iphoneapp and copied the three icon files here, than resprang. Nothing. This is the correct directory and icon files that I got from AppInfo below:
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1421616039.336090.jpg

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That would be way too much work. I only suggested that so you can see the correct folder and file names. It's just a reference, so it doesn't matter what theme you pick. You could also find a list online, but it's just as easy to use an actaul theme as a reference. You used WinterBoard, right? 180x180 is correct. That's the size I use for all of mine. Post a screenshot of your AT&T theme folder so I can see the file names. The folder name should be com.att.osd.myWireless. Is that what you're using? It won't work if it's not exact. These file names are case sensitive, too.

10. EverythingApple

Gold

It seems to be corrected now. I am thinking it wasn't respringing. I was using pull to respring in settings. I downloaded Respring+ and now no issues.

I thought 180x180 is for iPhone 6+. I have just a 6. So you're saying 180x180 should work too on my iPhone 6?

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

PullToRespring always worked fine for me when I had it installed.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Correct. I have an iPhone 6 and I use 180x180.

13. EverythingApple

Gold

I've got a few questions. I heard that if an app updates, I'll lose the themed icon. Is this true? And, if so, is there a way around this?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Mine haven't needed retheming after app updates. If it does, there's no way around it and you'll have to retheme it. You'll get it down to where it doesn't take long. It the developer changed the file names they would need to be redone. I do have to retheme my custom icons after the theme itself is updated in Cydia.

15. EverythingApple

Gold

So there's no way to save all the themed icons? What if I need to restore? I also have them saved in iFile in a different location. Can I save those too? I'm going to upload them to my photo bucket or create a imgur account.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, the theme updates change them back to the original, but I still have them as alternates in the theme. I just have to change the names back. You could save them on your computer or in a photo account like you were saying.

17. EverythingApple

Gold

They're saved on imgur now.

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

All of mine are saved on imgur but it's very annoying when an app gets updated and it involves 5-6 files to have to change again to re-theme it. I think today that one was Bank of America app. It's not difficult, but you don't remember which ones. Most of mine have just AppIcon60x60@2x.png and 3x to change.

19. EverythingApple

Gold

My Bank of America icon didn't change.

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Not sure what to say to that. Unless you created folder in theme then I don't know. I change files in the app itself so it changed when updated.