Need Help Transferring Data from Old Mac to New Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vivi, May 2, 2014.

1. Vivi

Vivi New Member

I got a new Mac I want to transfer from my old mac to my new one all my iPhoto library my iTunes library my pictures and documents but do not want it to be the same emails and stuff i wanted to start new anyone know how to do this?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Connect your Time Machine (backup drive) to the new computer the first time you boot it. It will ask you if you want to transfer everything or just certain things. Depending on the amount of data you have, it will take an hour or so. Then the new computer will boot and it will look exactly like your old one. Even your programs will all be installed. The only thing you'll have to do is change the wallpaper if the screen size is different on the new computer because the resolution wouldn't be correct. Time Machine is one of the best reasons to get a Mac. No dragging files or any of that other tedious stuff. It's all automatically done in the background. If you aren't already using it, go out and get an external hard drive and set it up for your old computer and then restore the new one from it.

3. Vivi

Vivi New Member

Thank u! Like I said tho I don't want all my old stuff just those few things i said and I already had my new comp for a couple months now