Need Help Updating Firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by SarahSaud, Jan 27, 2013.

1. SarahSaud

SarahSaud New Member

Hi ,
    can any one help me I want to update my iPhone 4 to 5 I've tried that several times using my laptop but with no luck and i don't want to lose my contacts# and my files van I have a clear process !
    Thanks

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you backup your phone in iCloud or iTunes, you do not need to worry about losing any data.

You should be able to update by connecting your phone to the computer and pressing the update button in iTunes. What happens when you try to do this? Please post the error codes if you receive any.

3. SarahSaud

SarahSaud New Member

Hi ,
    Thank you for response ,
    The problem is during my update process it's stopped suddenly with an error that there is a communication problem and an advice to check my Internet connection and it is happened three time !

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

4. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Wait! Are you updating an iPhone 4 to iOS 5? Or, are you upgrading from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5? The way you stated your problem has me confused.
    YMMV

Sent using iCafe app

5. SarahSaud

SarahSaud New Member

Well sorry to get you confused ! My iPhone has a very old version And I want to upgrade it to the latest version I need to have a clear steps for that please thank you ImageUploadedByiCafe1359561791.362770.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

6. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

You have a white iPhone 4, 16GB. How do I know that? Look at your model number and than look here.

I don't think you can update an iPhone 4 to iOS 5. iOS 6 is currently out for iPhone 4. Unless it's jailbroken and you have the 5.0 ipsw saved, the only option is iOS 6.1. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hook up to iTunes and it should automatically say there's a new version of your software available.

7. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

That's what I was thinking ... if the OP was still on iOS 4, going to 6 would be the only option available to her.

Sent using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's not the problem, guys. She's trying to update to 6.1. She wouldn't have been able to start the update if she was trying to install 5.x. She didn't mention SHSHs, so it's likely she's just tying a regular update to the latest firmware; she just didn't know the version number.

Sarah, again, please post your exact error code. It's difficult for us to provide help without that. Until I know that, I'll offer the standard troubleshooting steps. Try a different USB cable, different port on the computer, reboot the computer and the phone, and temporarily disable your antivirus program. If that doesn't help, try updating on a different computer.