need help want to watch netflix from mac to tv what wire would i need

Discussion in 'Mac and Home Theater' started by IphoneTony, Sep 12, 2010.

1. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot

Can someone tell me what I need to buy in order to watch netflix on my mac and have it display on my tv
  2. Caliaskan

Caliaskan New Member

All you need in the simplest form is a netflix account and a video cable from your mini to your tv. If you want to do more, check out Plex. I made a video at my website, www.benwolfelectric.com that show what I do with plex, in combination with my Mac mini and my 50" plasma.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. clickwheel

clickwheel Guest

Depending on what type of Mac you have, determines what kind of cables you need. I had this same problem last year because I wanted to hook my Macbook up to the TV to finally get rid of cable television. I found a cable that will hook up to the mini display and USB ports on the Macbook and output through HDMI. If you do a search you'll be able to find it easily. I know you posted this awhile ago, but hopefully you have found a solution by now. And if you just spend $100 you can get Netflix on the new Apple TV.
  5. surfer

surfer Member

You could also use a DVI cable to just extend you laptop display settings. You would just have to adjust for screen size.
  6. besweeet

besweeet Member

Since most TVs have a VGA input, you'll probably need to get a mini-DisplayPort to VGA adapter, and then the actual VGA cable. Or go HDMI.
  7. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius

I use my iPhone or iPad with the netflix app, then I attach the composite cables from the iDevice to the tv and voila!
  8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

Nowadays it might just be easier to get an apple TV. Especially since it has HDMI built-in. And then you don't have to lose another device while watching Netflix. And then you also have the ability to airplay from iTunes or iOS devices.
  9. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius

True, but if you already have an iPhone or iPad, why spend another 100 bucks? Just saying....
  10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

For the reasons I stated above:

1) built-in HDMI for better quality A/V and ease of hookup
    2) you can use your iOS device while using Netflix
    3) you can airplay music and videos to apple tv (which is awesome)

I'm not saying it's worth the $99 to everyone, but those are great benefits.
  11. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius

True. I'm considering making that purchase. Just gotta justify to the wife. (Don't say it)
  12. Lon

Lon Evangelist

Well if you don't already of the AV Cable, it is $50, so the ATV is only a $49 outlay. That's how I can justify it!!
  13. Europa

Europa Moderator

Agreed. I just upgraded to an Apple TV 2 and updated to the 4.3 GM today. AirPlay is awesome!
  14. uRabbit

uRabbit Member

I use HDMI. If you've got any decent Mac, chances are it has HDMI. HDMI cables are VERY expensive in stores. I suggest purchasing from Amazon.com. I paid $4 + $5 shipping for a 7-foot gold-tip cable. Best Buy has 3-foot cables for $19.99. Amazon has larger than 7-foot as well.
  15. uRabbit

uRabbit Member

By using iOS devices, are you referring to Apple's new dock connector -> HDMI adapter?
  16. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

The only Mac with HDMI is the Mac Mini.
  17. uRabbit

uRabbit Member

My bad, then.