need help want to watch netflix from Mac to TV what wire would i need

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Caliaskan

Jul 1, 2010
SoCal
All you need in the simplest form is a netflix account and a video cable from your mini to your tv. If you want to do more, check out Plex. I made a video at my website, www.benwolfelectric.com that show what I do with plex, in combination with my Mac mini and my 50" plasma.

C

clickwheel

Depending on what type of Mac you have, determines what kind of cables you need. I had this same problem last year because I wanted to hook my Macbook up to the TV to finally get rid of cable television. I found a cable that will hook up to the mini display and USB ports on the Macbook and output through HDMI. If you do a search you'll be able to find it easily. I know you posted this awhile ago, but hopefully you have found a solution by now. And if you just spend $100 you can get Netflix on the new Apple TV.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Nowadays it might just be easier to get an Apple TV. Especially since it has HDMI built-in. And then you don't have to lose another device while watching Netflix. And then you also have the ability to airplay from iTunes or iOS devices.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
For the reasons I stated above:

1) built-in HDMI for better quality A/V and ease of hookup
2) you can use your iOS device while using Netflix
3) you can airplay music and videos to Apple tv (which is awesome)

I'm not saying it's worth the $99 to everyone, but those are great benefits.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
For the reasons I stated above:

1) built-in HDMI for better quality A/V and ease of hookup
2) you can use your iOS device while using Netflix
3) you can airplay music and videos to Apple tv (which is awesome)

I'm not saying it's worth the $99 to everyone, but those are great benefits.
acosmichippo said:
Honestly, they really need to ditch all these silly adapters and just do it all through AirPlay.
Agreed. I just upgraded to an Apple TV 2 and updated to the 4.3 GM today. AirPlay is awesome!

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
I use HDMI. If you've got any decent Mac, chances are it has HDMI. HDMI cables are VERY expensive in stores. I suggest purchasing from Amazon.com. I paid $4 + $5 shipping for a 7-foot gold-tip cable. Best Buy has 3-foot cables for $19.99. Amazon has larger than 7-foot as well.