Need help with a camera.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Last night I purchased a camera for my sister. She wanted one for a long time and I decided it's time to get her one since she's going on a trip to Europe very soon.

I got her one of those cheap cameras (around $180 bucks) that are between compact and DSLR cameras. I believe they're called Semi-Professional or something.

Anyway, the model is Fujifilm FinePix S2950.

Those are the specifications:
•14 Megapixel Resolution
•18x Zoom W/Wide-Angle 28-504mm Lens
•Large 3" LCD, at 230K Resolution
•Stunning Panoramic Shots
•720p HD Movie Capture
•Smile and Blink Detection
•Dual Image Stabilization
•High Sensitivity ISO 6400
•Easy Upload Facebook and YouTube Feature
•Tracking Auto Focus (AF)
•Full Manual Controls

I do not know what the best settings for the camera would be in different lighting conditions, and I have no previous experience of photography or anything, but I cannot decide on whether the pictures I took using it this morning are actually decent or not. I'm not looking for "great quality", but just a decent one that was worth paying 180 bucks for.

Those are the pictures:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5973/dscf0028aq.jpg
http://a.yfrog.com/img585/9922/dscf0024rw.jpg

Please tell me what you think and whether you have any suggestions. Thanks!

EDIT: The second picture is at 18x zoom, and the first one is at about 8x I think. Not too sure about the first one! I must say, though, it takes decent pictures on such a high level of zoom, that's for sure.

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
I have several cameras old school 35mm SLRs few "throwaway" digitals and my Kodak which is like the Camera you got they call them "fixed lens DSLR" it has most of the features of a DSLR but you can't change lenses.
It will have a "dummy setting" thats what we called it in Photography class it should automaticly pic film speed, flash settings, etc..... If you want to use manual settings you meed a crash course in Photography to learn about apature(sp?), focal, shutter speed, basicly a whole lot.
If your model makes you choose film speeds then 100 is for posed lighted pictures like a photographer does in studios, 200 is considered universal indoor or outdoor, 400 is for motion shots 800 for fast motion shots, the higher you go it will catch motion but the pictures will be more grainy(fuzzy) go with 200 if your not skilled no higher than 400.
You really have to play with the settings and learn them every model camera is different. Sensors and lens type, focal points etc... You can pick up an old college text book online fairly cheap nowdays but the real way to learn my teacher always told us "take more pictures and take notes about the settings and conditions then see what develops"
The zoom should not effect pictures much unless you get shakey

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
Oh I took for geanted that you would know about megapixels. You can lower the resolution(Megapixels) and shoot faster losing only a little quality as you go down each step. If you only printing on 4x5 standard photo prints then drop it to about 10MP and see how much faster it processes and still has quality. If you want to blow it up to 8x10 or higher keep it at max

Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
Thanks for rating my post, been into photography since I was 10 it's more of a hobby and collection thing now but my cameras gather no dust lol.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thank you very much for your thorough and informative reply. I don't think I'll mess around with the manual settings as I do not have the time or energy for that. I think I would do that only when I am on a road trip or something, however, I'm mostly either in-door or outside at university or a cafe of some sort, so there's really no "room" for taking pictures anyway.

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
Yeah really SLRs are for serious hobby photograhers and pros, my aunt bought a 2000.00 nikon I love and she has to call me all the time to help her reset it cause her hubby thinks he knows everything and gets it out sets it on a manual setting and neither one of them can even swap lenses lol. I love my kodak fixed lens DSLR for trips, was only 400.00, no worries about settings it has the old dial and quick pick settings just wish my filters from my canons would fit.
Filters adds a whole new light on photography;)
If you get into using manual setting your gonna want a semipro or pro model Nikon and Canon are still top choices among photographers. Course real pros consider anything below a grand a "throwaway" camera lol

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Tarek, the cost of the camera has nothing to do with how good the photo will turn out. If you or your sister decide to learn how to take better photos, there are lots of books out there to improve your technique. That camera is fine for point and shoot. If you or your sister are not familiar with adjusting the manual settings, save yourself a headache and just leave it in auto. Otherwise, those photo moments may be ruined.

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
Yeah price don't matter just the megapixels;)