Need help with PC stuff!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'm running Windows XP on a virtual machine on my MacBook Air. After getting rid of some viruses (it checks "clean" now), everything runs smooth except 1 important thing: Internet Explorer won't run at all. It takes forever to open the home page then it freezes. Apparently there is no way to "delete" it and reinstall it. Maybe I'm wrong?
Firefox 2.0 runs great and fast, but it doesn't suit my needs (no way to install ActiveX control).

What's going on with IE and can I do something about it?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
OK, I can tell that there is no answer to my questions, or answers would have poured out already.

You can't fix a really sick PC. There's no way to do an IE transplant. When IE is dead, so is the PC. Only erasing the whole darn thing and reinstalling my VM will cure the problem. How sad.:(

So here I am, putting the whole VM in the trash again. I'm sure glad I made copies of it.

I can't believe I'm going to have to activate my Windows XP again. :mad:

S

Starry

OK, I can tell that there is no answer to my questions, or answers would have poured out already.

You can't fix a really sick PC. There's no way to do an IE transplant. When IE is dead, so is the PC. Only erasing the whole darn thing and reinstalling my VM will cure the problem. How sad.:(

So here I am, putting the whole VM in the trash again. I'm sure glad I made copies of it.

I can't believe I'm going to have to activate my Windows XP again. :mad:
I'd help if I could.. I promise :) I would !

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
wait, you can!

download IE7.

or go control panel --> add or remove programs --> Add/remove windows components.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Let's be fair here... this is fringe "PC stuff" the way you're doing it!

I would go for IE7 or else, yes... it will require a whole system reinstall. Such is the nature of IE.

Lots of hoops to jump through for ActiveX huh?

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
If you install IE 7 you can remove it via the Control panel.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you have XP on an air and already have viruses?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
If you install IE 7 you can remove it via the Control panel.
Believe me, you can't, at least not by using the control panel. It's not even listed in the apps you can remove because IE is needed for Windows to function. At least, it's what somebody told me ages ago. It might have been x999x, but I might be wrong.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Believe me, you can't, at least not by using the control panel. It's not even listed in the apps you can remove because IE is needed for Windows to function. At least, it's what somebody told me ages ago. It might have been x999x, but I might be wrong.
did you choose Windows Components?

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Well IE definitely isn't needed to make Windows run - that doesn't even make sense. But here:

1. Open C:\Program files\Internet Explorer.
  2. Right click the folder Uninstall information.
  3. Click Properties
  4. Uncheck the hidden mode and press OK.
  5. Go to C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\Setup.
  6. Run setup.exe

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
you have XP on an air and already have viruses?
It's because I couldn't install Windows XP on Parallels from the CD (why?, why?, many files wouldn't install from it). It just WOULDN'T let me. So, I transfered my virtual machine from my MBP, and it happened to be infected.
All is well now. I got rid of viruses on my MBO and my MacPro. I trashed the MBA VM and transplanted the one from my MP, and it's working fine now. This was a lot faster than spending any more hours trying to fix Windows. I made copies of my uninfected machines, so if something bad happens again, I can just spend 10 minutes replacing the VM instead of sweating it out. I guess I fixed my problems the Mac way.

To DarkMan: And no I did not about "Windows component" but thanks for trying to help.

For those interested in the MBA, the Parallels issue with kernel panics is completely resolved with the new build.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Well IE definitely isn't needed to make Windows run - that doesn't even make sense. But here:

1. Open C:\Program files\Internet Explorer.
  2. Right click the folder Uninstall information.
  3. Click Properties
  4. Uncheck the hidden mode and press OK.
  5. Go to C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\Setup.
  6. Run setup.exe
You're probably right. I don't know much about Windows, but I'm good now.