Need help with planning a fundraiser

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Hi, I am organizing a chili dinner fundraiser. We will be kinda short on staff, so I need some help in planning things that will not require a lot of people.

So far, I have the date planned, the location and I know we are serving chili.

Would salad be a good side dish? What drinks should we serve? Thinking of lemonade, water and iced tea or coffee? Need help on drinks wise. And the desserts, I have no clue what to serve. I was thinking sheet cakes, or having the option of ice cream and brownie sundae.

Our group has basically no money, so everything will be out of pocket and then the funds made from this will help recover the costs+ earn a profit. And we do not have volunteers, so we can not really have desserts donated.

Thanks

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
What kind of fundraiser is this? You mentioned the money earned would go to pay back for what was spent and earned a profit with the rest. You can typically get a lot donated if you can get people to buy into your cause. The key is the delivery.

Sent using iCafe app

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Well, it's a fundraiser for the broadcasting team at school. It's a school club fundraiser.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Has the school sent out notifications to the parents that you guys would be holding the fundraiser dinner? My daughter's school always sends emails out for all the events whenever they are trying to raise money. Try to get kids outside of the club involved so they can talk to their parents.

Sent using iCafe app

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Has the school sent out notifications to the parents that you guys would be holding the fundraiser dinner? My daughter's school always sends emails out for all the events whenever they are trying to raise money. Try to get kids outside of the club involved so they can talk to their parents.

Sent using iCafe app
No, I have yet to propose it to our facility member in charhe of our program. I just want to get things organized before. I have advertising covered.

I'm planning on asking a few friends to see if they will help out.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Does the broadcast team do a regular show?

Perhaps they hold an advertising event. Create a list of items appealing to kids or their audience and ask those businessses who sell them for donations in exchange for ads.

This may provide them some experience in copy writing and ad sales.

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Considering the limited staff and resources the key here is to keep it simple. You've got three of the key ingredients nailed down, the time, place, and chili. Fill it out with the drinks, sides, and desert, and you've got a winning combo. You might also consider some entertainment. Maybe there's a school jazz club that could use a gig, or a class clown that could offer his services for a stand-up comedy routine.

I'd definitely offer both water and iced tea. Both are cheap and easy. For the tea, offer either both sweetened and unsweetened, or maybe just unsweetened tea with sugar/sweetener packets on the side. Perhaps lemon wedges too if you want. As you already suggested, a mixable drink like lemonade is cheap and easy but doesn't go well with chili IMO.

Speaking from personal preference, I like my chili with a little cheese and diced onions on top. These would be easy to offer as garnish items and simple to boot. Another thing that goes good with chili is either crackers or cornbread. Cornbread would take a little more effort but would be a nice touch and could be considered a side. Even simpler, how about corn? Canned or on-the-cob are two popular options. Cole slaw and potato salad are pretty universal and easy to make or procure from a local restaurant. You might even consider approaching a local eatery and offering them an advertising opportunity for providing a batch of a side dish.

As for deserts, I think your idea of sheet cakes is a great idea. Sweet and simple and low cost. For a slightly higher cost you could make cupcakes from the cake batter which would work handily if you decided to go with ice cream. A scoop of ice cream with a cupcake sounds pretty good. As a matter of fact, making cornbread cupcakes for the chili might work well too.

Well that's my $.02, keep us posted on your progress and results.

All of a sudden I'm craving a hot bowl of chili. :)

Last edited:

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Considering the limited staff and resources the key here is to keep it simple. You've got three of the key ingredients nailed down, the time, place, and chili. Fill it out with the drinks, sides, and desert, and you've got a winning combo. You might also consider some entertainment. Maybe there's a school jazz club that could use a gig, or a class clown that could offer his services for a stand-up comedy routine.

I'd definitely offer both water and iced tea. Both are cheap and easy. For the tea, offer either both sweetened and unsweetened, or maybe just unsweetened tea with sugar/sweetener packets on the side. Perhaps lemon wedges too if you want. As you already suggested, a mixable drink like lemonade is cheap and easy but doesn't go well with chili IMO.

Speaking from personal preference, I like my chili with a little cheese and diced onions on top. These would be easy to offer as garnish items and simple to boot. Another thing that goes good with chili is either crackers or cornbread. Cornbread would take a little more effort but would be a nice touch and could be considered a side. Even simpler, how about corn? Canned or on-the-cob are two popular options. Cole slaw and potato salad are pretty universal and easy to make or procure from a local restaurant. You might even consider approaching a local eatery and offering them an advertising opportunity for providing a batch of a side dish.

As for deserts, I think your idea of sheet cakes is a great idea. Sweet and simple and low cost. For a slightly higher cost you could make cupcakes from the cake batter which would work handily if you decided to go with ice cream. A scoop of ice cream with a cupcake sounds pretty good. As a matter of fact, making cornbread cupcakes for the chili might work well too.

Well that's my $.02, keep us posted on your progress and results.

All of a sudden I'm craving a hot bowl of chili. :)
Thanks! I plan on having a 50/50 raffle as well.

I will offer water, and unsweetened tea with sweet enter packets, but I think I'll serve lemonade too. My reasoning is, for kids or adults that don't want the tea, but they would be too bored with water. I live in illinois, we eat everything and anything together. :D

I will certainly make sure to offer condiments with my chili. Cheese, diced onions, what else?

I think I'll offer crackers and no cornbread. The local liking seems to be everyone loves crackers, but not everyone likes cornbread. I will be hopefully approaching a few places for donations.

I know a local bakery that would certainly give us a reduced discount, or free sheet cakes. They also make the one of the best donuts in illinois. With this being a high school event, people love to help out and it's probably tax write offable.

I'm also scared of nobody coming, and it being dead.

So here is where we stand:

Chili
____
A salad
_____
Unsweetened Tea
Lemonade
Water
____
Chocolate sheet cake w/vanilla frosting

White sheet cake w/ chocolate frosting

Donuts

Last edited:

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I will certainly make sure to offer condiments with my chili. Cheese, diced onions, what else?

I'm also scared of nobody coming, and it being dead.
I should have mentioned that the cheese should be the finely grated variety so it more readily melts into the chili. You might also offer sliced jalapeños for the more adventurous and perhaps a dollop of sour cream.

Try not to worry too much about it being a dud. The idea is to make a strong effort and learn as much as you can in the process, and raise some cash for your team of course. Success and failure are equal opportunity educators! If you sell out then you know to go bigger next time. If nobody shows up maybe you can make a donation yourself, on behalf of the club, to a local outreach program.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Hi, I am organizing a chili dinner fundraiser. We will be kinda short on staff, so I need some help in planning things that will not require a lot of people.

So far, I have the date planned, the location and I know we are serving chili.

Would salad be a good side dish? What drinks should we serve? Thinking of lemonade, water and iced tea or coffee? Need help on drinks wise. And the desserts, I have no clue what to serve. I was thinking sheet cakes, or having the option of ice cream and brownie sundae.

Our group has basically no money, so everything will be out of pocket and then the funds made from this will help recover the costs+ earn a profit. And we do not have volunteers, so we can not really have desserts donated.

Thanks
What about socialhut?

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I should have mentioned that the cheese should be the finely grated variety so it more readily melts into the chili. You might also offer sliced jalapeños for the more adventurous and perhaps a dollop of sour cream.

Try not to worry too much about it being a dud. The idea is to make a strong effort and learn as much as you can in the process, and raise some cash for your team of course. Success and failure are equal opportunity educators! If you sell out then you know to go bigger next time. If nobody shows up maybe you can make a donation yourself, on behalf of the club, to a local outreach program.
If we have lots left over, I plan on giving it to a local pantry.

Thanks for all your help