Need help with restoring iPhone(complicated)

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Syamil, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I went on the forums. So much changes, I feel so old suddenly!

Anyway, I wouldn't post a new thread if I found the answer to my problem, I would usually search the forums first for any closely related problems.

So, I wanted to sell my iPhone 4 away, due to monetary reasons. My iPhone is jailbroken 5.01 with greenp0ison. So, being the goondu I am, I reset all settings first, then I decided to erase all content and settings.

So, during the second erase all content and settings, I realised this can't be done with a jailbroken iPhone, as it will hang. I managed to get it into DFU mode, and tried restoring with TinyUmbrella, redsn0w but to no avail. I on the verge of giving up and just sending my phone to a handphone shop to get it repaired.. but it's not my money's worth as I want to sell it.

Now all I get is the iPhone running in Safe Mode (MobileSubstrate). I'm really out of ideas.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I am trying to fully understand your message after reading it. Have you tried to do a full restore using iTunes? This will remove the Jailbreak entirely and it will bring it back to factory settings. Also before you ship the iPhone or give it to them, remove the SIM Card.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sounds like you learned the hard way that jailbreaking breaks the "Erase All Content and Settings" feature. However, it's fixable with a restore. Just restore to 6.1.2 in iTunes. You don't need Redsn0w or TinyUmbrella. 6.1.2 is jailbreakable, so there is no reason to avoid it. Please post the iTunes error code if you receive one when you try to restore in iTunes.

EDIT: Typo fixed. I meant 6.1.2, not 6.0.2.

4. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Version 6.0.2 is only available for iPhone 5. I want to restore my iPhone 4 to factory settings, as if it is stock, not jailbroken.

5. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Yes, sorry if I was unclear with what my problem is. It keeps saying, the iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored due to some error. I forgot to screenshot it, sorry. Here's a screenshot of what my iPhone looks like now. It is now stuck in that 'Safe Mode', but I can do things normally on the iPhone, just in Safe Mode, which I don't want.

Do tell what other details you need. I'm really stumped on this problem.

Attached Files:

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Why does it say No Sim at the top? Is your Sim Card inserted? Also you can exit safe mode by clicking where it says Exit Safe Mode. It should take you back to normal. If you do have a SIM card in, try taking it out and re inserting it.

Sent using iCafe app

7. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Guess what, after nearly 5 hours of trying different methods, somehow iTunes decided to restore my phone to stock. -.- Thanks to Europa and you for taking the time to see my problem. There is one problem however, refer to the screenshot below.

Attached Files:

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That happens every time for me when I restore. It fixes itself when I unplug and replug the usb part into my computer.

Sent using iCafe app

9. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Oh, and it has no SIM card in it too.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Who is your wireless carrier?

Sent using iCafe app

11. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Everything is perfectly alright now. I really need to sell off this phone. Despite it not giving me problems for the times I used it, now the Home button doesn't respond too well. I'll Google the solution up. Thank you MoneyMaker79 and Europa! :D

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have heard of the home button issue. Have you taken it to get looks at, the iPhone entirely?

Sent using iCafe app

13. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Nope, in fact my iPhone has had the Otterbox Defender case on for nearly it's entire life. Trust me, I still gawk in awe when I open up the Otterbox case and marvel at how much I taken care of my iPhone, as I bought it without contract.

Everything's perfect now. Thank you again, MoneyMaker79. I have solved all the problems I faced with the iPhone.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You're welcome. I'm glad everything is solved now.

I have had an Otterbox Defender on all of my iPhones. Great case in my opinion.