Need Help with WinPwn? here i am.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
this was requested a loooooong time ago.

but here it is.

Right.

What is WinPwn?
WinPwn is the Windows version of PwnageTool, an application that makes Jailbreaking, Neutering, and Unlocking far easier, and make real unlocks, most times, which stay after a restore. Also, PwnageTool/WinPwn eliminate the possible failed jailbreaks such as ZiPhone, because the programs create an ipsw file (which is an iPhone restore file) to which you must shift+restore to.
Before using WinPwn, download the proper ipsw files.

if you are jailbreaking/unlocking 1.1.4, download 1.1.4 here
if you are jailbreaking an iPhone 3G (at the moment, there is no SIM unlock), download 2.0 for iPhone 3G here
if you are jailbreaking/unlocking an original iPhone on 2.0, download 2.0 for iPhone 2.5G here

Note: the 2.0 firmwares for the iPhone 3G and the original iPhone (iPhone 2.5G) are not the same.

Where do I get it?
you can get WinPwn here
www.winpwn.com

What firmwares are supported?
WinPwn, just as PwnageTool, supports 1.1.4, some of the 2.0 betas, 2.0, and soon will support 2.0.1

What is the most recent version of WinPwn?

How do I use it?

I'll answer this in small bits, as this answer depends on your situation.
all processes include this bit, though.

First of all, download WinPwn from the link above,
go through the installation process,
when you are finished, click the WinPwn button.
then click Browse ipsw, and choose the file you downloaded.

How do i jailbreak/unlock 1.1.4?

first, connect your iPhone and put it into recovery mode, and click iPwner.
disregard all iTunes messages.
Next, choose Build Ipsw,

wait for the bit to load, and then choose the system category, and choose Installer.

if you like, you can install other programs as well.
if you are Unlocking as well, you MUST choose BSD Subsystem and BootNeuter from the application lists as well.

If you would like to add Boot Logos or Recovery Logos, do so in the Custom Images Tab. the requirements are 320*480, png, or jpg.

Next, click the Advanced tab.
If you are SIM unlocking (making it able to be used on other carriers) choose the following options.
Activate iPhone
Enable Baseband Update

If you are just jailbreaking, do NOT choose anything in that menu.

Next, click Build ipsw.
when it is finished, connect your iPhone in recovery mode, hold down shift, and select your ipsw.

How do I jailbreak my 3G iPhone?
first, connect your iPhone in recovery mode,

click Build Ipsw - choose Install Cydia, and proceed to the next tab.
If you would like to use custom boot images, select them now, in the appropriate place.
if not, just continue to Advanced.

The 3G iPhone can only be jailbroken.

deselect everything in that tab, and click Build IPSW.
after it is finished, you will need to click iPwner, and then when iTunes closes, put your iPhone into DFU mode, hold shift and click restore and choose your ipsw.

How do I jailbreak/unlock 2.0? I've got an iPhone 2.5G.

click Build IPSW -
choose Install Cydia,

If you are unlocking, you should also click Youtube Fix.

If you would like to use custom images, do so in the Custom Images tab.
skip the Custom Payload tab.

In the Advanced tab.
If you are just jailbreaking (meaning if you've got AT&T) deselect everything.

if you are unlocking, download these files - http://iphonefreakz.com/firmware/BL-39.bin and http://iphonefreakz.com/firmware/BL-46.bin
and place them on your desktop.

Noow, select Activate iPhone, Enable Baseband Update, and Neuter BootLoader
I strongly suggest you choose autodelete bootneuter.app because BootNeuter 2.0 is not at all like BootNeuter 1.0, its much less stable, and quite capable of screwing your phone up.

click on the BootLoader 3.9 file, and find the BL-3.9.bin file you downloaded, and do the same with 4.6

build the ipsw.

when it is done, choose iPwner, it will kill your iTunes, and tell you that your iTunes has been Pwned.

You can now restore your ipsw through DFU mode, so put it into DFU mode and do so.

let bootneuter do its magic and tada you have an unlocked, or, if you didn't use BootNeuter, you have a jailbroken 2.0 iPhone 2.5G.

troubleshooting section to be added later.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nice thread, Sam. Goes right along with your ZiPhone one. Stickied.

By the way, no with six stickies, the top of the Modifications Forum is getting a bit crowded. Perhaps I should unstick this one for now, as it's quite out of date?

H

Hayesimus

how is it I have more thanks than sam? THANK HIM PEOPLE! :p

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Unsticky my ZiPhone thread, because ZiPhone is not only obsolete, its dangerous, and most cases, irreversible.

Also, maybe that one that you said.

I've got to find some time to edit that post, to add a troubleshooting section.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Nice work Sam, as always. I'm still holding onto my 1.1.4 for now, but I know where to get help when the time comes. You're the man.

shyn320

Oct 18, 2007
i tried every single guide out there on how to jailbreak 2.0 and nothing worked. But this here worked great thanks

H

Hayesimus

use your thanks button! Or do you not have one yet? Do you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can thank?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
use your thanks button! Or do you not have one yet? Do you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can thank?
Yes, a user must have 25 posts before they can distribute thanks. The button also disappears after distributing five thanks.

H

Hayesimus

its magical or something...

H

Hayesimus

oh oh. i just thought of this after I posted the magical thing.

"They're always after me lucky thanks buttons..."

I know, right? Its supremely hilarious... I'd like to take this time to urge you NOT to thank me for this ingenius post. No i don't post for the thanks... The post is reward enough. Thank you for your thankfulness though. :p

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
just confirming....2.0.1 firmware cannot be Jbroken correct?
Thanks

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
just confirming....2.0.1 firmware cannot be Jbroken correct?
Thanks
it cannot be Jailbroken using WinPwn.

Unless, of course, you decide to download a torrent and do it that way.

my recommendation - wait.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Using WinPWN today with 2.0.1 and it crashes everytime I add installer to the build.

If I leave installer off it builds fine.

I'm not using custom images, packages or changing partition size so it should be straightforward.

Any ideas?

It's no big deal as I don't really need installer at the moment it would be good to have it.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Using WinPWN today with 2.0.1 and it crashes everytime I add installer to the build.

If I leave installer off it builds fine.

I'm not using custom images, packages or changing partition size so it should be straightforward.

Any ideas?

It's no big deal as I don't really need installer at the moment it would be good to have it.
I would wait for WinPwn 2.5 if I were you - it should fix these problems.

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
I also have WinPwn crashing on me when I select the Installer addition to the packages.

But, more importantly, I get Error 6 when I try to do it on my phone after having created the custom ipsw using the tool. And no, I did not select any custom images. So, I had to stay at 2.0.0.

But, if anyone has already created a functional ipsw for their first gen iPhone and made it such that it unlocks the baseband and checks for the bootloader to neuter it, can they post it somewhere where we can download it? I would imagine it would work.

pootermoney

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
i have 2.0.1 and downloaded the latest version of winpawn and the restore file ipsw...i run winpawn and it get an error message saying i have to get a version of .net framework v2.050727..what am i doing wrong?

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
i have 2.0.1 and downloaded the latest version of winpawn and the restore file ipsw...i run winpawn and it get an error message saying i have to get a version of .net framework v2.050727..what am i doing wrong?
You need to update your .net framework. Go to microsoft.com and download the latest version. I believe I saw that mentioned in the step by step instructions on iClarified's site on WinPwn. Good luck.

pootermoney

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
did that..works now but..when i try to build .ipsw i get an error saying it cant build it..all i click is cydia..changed the 2 images and unchecked activate phone because i don't wanan unlock it..any reason why this is happening..i get the option to put the new .ipsw file into a folder but hwen i click ok it gives me the error message