Need Help?

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
I apologize in advance. I know this has been explained a gazillion times, but I don't understand. I read the sticky and didn't fully understand it. I'm getting a new pc, and want to transfer my iTunes library. The movies and music I downloaded myself would be no problem, I'll just transfer them with my external harddrive. Now what concerns me is the music and movies I bought through iTunes. Can I transfer the whole iTunes folder through my external harddrive, if not how do transfer the bought stuff? If I can transfer the whole iTunes folder,does it bring the whole iTunes program, or will I have to download a new iTunes on the new pc first? I'm totally stressing about this and have no idea what to do! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
firstly, don't stress. everything will get transferred just fine.

you do need to install iTunes on the new computer. You need to do this before you try to put your iTunes folder on it.

your purchased music and movies will transfer exactly like everything else. Just copy your iTunes music folder. The ONLY extra step you need to do is to "authorize" your new computer to play these files. To do this, go to Store->Authorize Computer, and sign-in to your iTunes account. The rest is handled by iTunes.

then put your iTunes music folder in the location noted in the sticky thread.

Once that finishes, go back to iTunes, and go to File->Add Folder to Library, select your iTunes music folder, and let iTunes analyze everything. When that process finishes, you should be good to go.

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
So correct me if I'm wrong on these steps:

1. First download latest version of iTunes on new pc

2. Secondly drag iTunes folder onto my external hardrive.

3. Hook up external hardrive to new pc, and take iTunes folder off of that and
Put it where?

4. Authorize new iTunes to play all that.

5. Then just add my music and movies to new library?

So if I put the iTunes folder on my ext hd, it will move my entire library, bought material and personally downloaded material?

Maybe if someone can give me a clear cut step by step I'll feel more confident! Thanks!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
1) install iTunes on new computer.

2) Copy "iTunes" Music" folder from old computer to external HD. Everything WILL be in this folder if this option in preferences is checked:

3) Replace the iTunes Music folder on your new computer with the iTunes Music Folder from your old computer. These are the locations:

• OSX: /Mac/Users/UserName/Music/iTunes
  • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\UserName\Music\iTunes
  • Vista/Win7: C:\Users\UserName\Music\iTunes

4) Go to Store->Authorize Computer, and sign-in to your iTunes account.

5) Go back to iTunes, and go to File->Add Folder to Library, select your iTunes music folder, and let iTunes analyze everything. When that process finishes, you should be good to go.

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
Do you know by chance if all my album artwork I spent hours on creating will be moved with the movies and music?