Need iMac Advice please

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I am a longtime Windows user and the only Apple product I have is my iPhone. My desktop crashed and I have been considering getting an iMac. The stability of Mac systems versus the buggy Microsoft is appealing to me but I just want some advice before I make a purchase. What is the main difference I will notice switching to a Mac? Will I be disappointed? Is there many compatibility issues? I guess I should mention that I will only be using this system mainly for internet browsing use.
I would really appreciate any advice, thanks!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
wow, that's a lot of very broad questions... so i guess i'll give you my perspective. I made the switch in early February, and i have no regrets (i have a macbook pro). The biggest difference i noticed was how applications install into OSX (which is mindbogglingly easier than in Windows). There are definitely compatibility issues. A lot of things developed for Windows will just not work on a Mac, but the good news is there is usually (if not always) a Mac counterpart that works just as well (if not better). And then, even if you NEED a specific piece of software that only runs on windows, you do have the option to use Bootcamp, Parallels, or Fusion to run Windows on your Mac.

Considering what you're going to use it for, i don't think you will see hardly any negatives to the switch.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
wow, that's a lot of very broad questions... so i guess i'll give you my perspective. I made the switch in early February, and i have no regrets (i have a macbook pro). The biggest difference i noticed was how applications install into OSX (which is mindbogglingly easier than in Windows). There are definitely compatibility issues. A lot of things developed for Windows will just not work on a Mac, but the good news is there is usually (if not always) a Mac counterpart that works just as well (if not better). And then, even if you NEED a specific piece of software that only runs on windows, you do have the option to use Bootcamp, Parallels, or Fusion to run Windows on your Mac.

Considering what you're going to use it for, i don't think you will see hardly any negatives to the switch.
Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate your advice. I'm really looking forward to making the switch. :)

jpetticrew

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Houston
yes, dude! Go for it!I made the switch in October of last year with a Mac Mini, and I have never looked back. Like the hippo (I'm not calling HIM a hippo :)) said, any software you have that doesn't run on a Mac can usually be replaced by a freeware piece of software.

You absolutely will not regret it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm a guy. avatar is a bit misleading, i guess.

sorry to get your hopes up.

jpetticrew

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Houston
Haha, nah, I'm sorry. I'm still pretty new, I don't know who everbody is and stuff yet.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
No compatibility issues, much better interface, much for stable, Apple has better customer support, works seamlessly with iPhones, iPods, etc., and if you ever feel the urge to use Windows ( you won't. ;) ) then there's always Boot Camp. Apple's Get a Mac page may also be helpful to you.

The only downside is that when you buy the Mac, you will hurt yourself for using PCs for such a long time.

- John

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
there we go. that should avoid any confusion.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
No compatibility issues, much better interface, much for stable, Apple has better customer support, works seamlessly with iPhones, iPods, etc., and if you ever feel the urge to use Windows ( you won't. ;) ) then there's always Boot Camp. Apple's Get a Mac page may also be helpful to you.

The only downside is that when you buy the Mac, you will hurt yourself for using PCs for such a long time.

- John
Thank you so much! It may be a month or so, but when I make the switch I will probably be asking some more questions. Thank you!:laugh2:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm the guy to ask. Hit me up whenever you feel the need to.

- John