Need iPhone car help

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
hey guys i just got a Mazda rx8 and it has no aux outlet so iam wondering how can I make my iPhone play through my speakers?

TonyTHT

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I got one of these fitted to my E46 BMW 330Ci yesterday......

http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merc...duct_Code=i-BMW-T&Category_Code=DICE_IPOD_BMW

They do Mazda too.

I've been looking for some kind of iPhone car integration for a while - my car doesn't have the built-in interface the newer cars do, and FM transmitter was rubbish - although Dice don't officially state compatibility with iPhone, I had read that the two worked OK together. Its supposed to allow display of album/artist/song/playlist info on the car's display, and support steering wheel controls too.

It does work, but......

It can display info on the car's screen, but not in enough detail to allow music selection. The iPhone displays 'Accessory Attached', so the screen is unusable in iPod mode (everything else works fine), so music selection is pretty random.

If you switch the iPhone off, connect it to Dice, then switch on, the iPod display works fine for music selection, but you can no longer see any info on the car screen, or use steering wheel controls, although music playback is fine. In fact, better than fine, very good indeed.

I'm still fiddling with it to see if I can improve usability, but controlling music from the iPhone itself does not cause me a problem, although it would be nice if I could forward/rewind tracks from the wheel. I'm also going to contact Dice to see if they can help.

Ciao

T

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
yep. My dad got a new mercedes yesterday and we also had trouble trying to make song selections through the iPod connection. About the only one I've seen evidence of actually working is the system that comes on the new acuras.

TonyTHT

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Cheshire, UK
OK, minor update.

Found out that to override the 'Accessory Attached' screen, press and hold the Home button for about 10 seconds, then select iPod. You can now control music from the iPhone, but not from the car's controls.

T

lensam

Bronze
Mar 8, 2008
Bridgeport, CT
I was on youtube and put in "iPhone car" and seen a video with a guy usin a belkin converter that seemed to work pretty good. Gonna try and search for it

TonyTHT

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I was on youtube and put in "iPhone car" and seen a video with a guy usin a belkin converter that seemed to work pretty good. Gonna try and search for it
I found some really useful vids on YouTube, for something called a 'spec dock' - search on 'dice iPhone, they're the ones by 'bavsound'

T