Need replacement but I'm on 3.0

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
So this has been occurring a lot recently, even before 3.0 beta 2

I will be browsing the internet using Safari and the phone will lockup. In order to do anything I have to reset the phone (power+home til restart). Well when I do this the phone battery drops from near 100% to 10%. Last night when this happened the phone would not charge or turn back on. I went straight to my Apple store and told this guy who said there are no more appointments tonight but i can get you in tomorrow at 520pm so I booked it anyway thinking maybe i can fix it if not ill come back.

I got it in DFU mode this morning after leaving it plugged in all night and forced 3.0 beta 2 back on the phone. My question is, what are the odds they will even troubleshoot / replace the phone because baseband is upgraded and the phone is running beta 2? i cant force 2.2.1 back on because it requires jailbreak.

I was originally going to request a replacement because of the cracking around the dock and sim slots.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
So this has been occurring a lot recently, even before 3.0 beta 2

I will be browsing the internet using Safari and the phone will lockup. In order to do anything I have to reset the phone (power+home til restart). Well when I do this the phone battery drops from near 100% to 10%. Last night when this happened the phone would not charge or turn back on. I went straight to my Apple store and told this guy who said there are no more appointments tonight but i can get you in tomorrow at 520pm so I booked it anyway thinking maybe i can fix it if not ill come back.

I got it in DFU mode this morning after leaving it plugged in all night and forced 3.0 beta 2 back on the phone. My question is, what are the odds they will even troubleshoot / replace the phone because baseband is upgraded and the phone is running beta 2? i cant force 2.2.1 back on because it requires jailbreak.

I was originally going to request a replacement because of the cracking around the dock and sim slots.
I went into an Apple store when mine got stuck into restore mode and was unable to pull it out. I told them I had 3.0 on it and that is probably why. They ended up telling me that it was out of warranty as long as the beta software was on it and they would not replace it. I was sent home with no help, luckily I got it working again. My suggestion would be to tell them you did restore it on a mac a couple times and it didn't work. Do not tell them 3.0 is on it and hide the new/ changed apps so they will hopefully not look at it very long and just replace it. Make sure you say you restored it on a mac cause if you say any other computer then they will want to do it themselves. And restore it before you go in so they don't want to do it themselves to clear your data.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
anyway to downgrade back to 2.2.1 without jailbreaking? maybe then the genius would overlook the baseband info and wouldn't know it was jailbroke and replace it seeing that its 2.2.1

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
anyway to downgrade back to 2.2.1 without jailbreaking? maybe then the genius would overlook the baseband info and wouldn't know it was jailbroke and replace it seeing that its 2.2.1
Only way I heard of downgrading is to jailbreak, but once it is jailbroken you should be able to restore to the stock version of 2.2.1. I highly doubt they will look at the baseband info or the version #. It will just look like a normal iPhone and they won't question it. I am actually wondering if they would replace it for just the cracks and don't even bring up the other stuff.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Only way I heard of downgrading is to jailbreak, but once it is jailbroken you should be able to restore to the stock version of 2.2.1. I highly doubt they will look at the baseband info or the version #. It will just look like a normal iPhone and they won't question it. I am actually wondering if they would replace it for just the cracks and don't even bring up the other stuff.
hmm i haven't read anywhere that once jailbroke you can restore again to 2.2.1. i think the baseband info will always cause issues with restoring to the original 2.2.1

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
If your on a PC (don't know about a mac) you do not have to jailbreak, you just have to open quickpwn, reset the phone like it tells you to, then close quickpwn. You do not finish the jailbreak. After your phone resets you should be on 2.2.1 with the upgraded baseband 04.22.01. There is no way (at this time) to downgrade your baseband, so you will always have the upgraded baseband.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Can Apple tell us the warranty is void because we used 3.0 beta 2? its there firmware and i am registered as a valid developer.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
I have yet to find somewhere in the 3.0 beta download and 3g Limited Warranty that the warranty becomes void based on beta firmware

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I have yet to find somewhere in the 3.0 beta download and 3g Limited Warranty that the warranty becomes void based on beta firmware
But when I went to the store they said it became void until the official software is on the phone. It is void because of exactly what shutter13 said "you are not using the official software" whether or not it being legal developer software. They can't and won't even provide help since they are not officially authorized to use 3.0 in the store. All they will do is restore on to 2.2.1 to try to resolve the problem and that obviously doesn't help.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
i just talked to Apple care and he obviously had no response to the 3.0 and warranty void. since its an appearance defect with the cracking that has nothing to do with the firmware so i may get lucky but at the same time he had no idea if 3.0 was void since it is firmware developed and trademarked by Apple.

i think im going to throw the crack defect before i tell them whats been going on with the phone and hope they just replace it but who knows if that could come back on me later. we'll see what happens tonight.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
i just talked to Apple care and he obviously had no response to the 3.0 and warranty void. since its an appearance defect with the cracking that has nothing to do with the firmware so i may get lucky but at the same time he had no idea if 3.0 was void since it is firmware developed and trademarked by Apple.

i think im going to throw the crack defect before i tell them whats been going on with the phone and hope they just replace it but who knows if that could come back on me later. we'll see what happens tonight.
I called and was transferred to every Apple number I could and none of them had any clue what to do about 3.0. One girl said they were not supposed to take any calls about 3.0. I would say to go the crack route, but if they realize it is 3.0 they might turn you away. If they turn you away you may need to use the method to get back to 2.2.1 or wait until the official release to take it back.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Well. Apple replaced it due to the cracking. Didn't even look at my phone or firmware thank god

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Well. Apple replaced it due to the cracking. Didn't even look at my phone or firmware thank god
That was definitely the better way to go so they wouldn't try any restores or check the operating function of the phone.

2white2fight

Bronze
Mar 31, 2009
925 the bay
hmm i haven't read anywhere that once jailbroke you can restore again to 2.2.1. i think the baseband info will always cause issues with restoring to the original 2.2.1
you don't need to jailbreak it you just need to open it up and then do what the instructions say and you will recative your phone