Need some advice.. first ever mod.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok, I said I would never mod but the ziPhone was too easy and tempting...

Some background..

I have never modded and am running 1.1.4.
I jailbroke only with ziPhoneOSX v2.5

Before I start clicking on a ton of things I want to make sure I don't need to load something other than the installer that was put on by ziPhone. I have heard summerboard and things tossed around but what EXACTLY do I need to do now before I can start installing apps?

Oh, and thanks.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
ok, so I just tested my main concern and that is Mail.

I read folks talking about 777 permissions and was a bit worried but all is well.

I have 4 Gmail accounts, 1 Yahoo account and 1 Mac email account on my iPhone. I just sent a test email from a different Gmail account and got all the emails within 3 minutes.

Hope somebody is out there or maybe I should go to sleep and check back in the morning..

If this thing is stable this could be pretty cool. the ziPhone app ran flawless from what I can tell so far. No errors or hangs. I did make sure that I did not check the little you better restore box while ziPhone was obviously writing to my iPhone.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Sounds like you're cool. If Installer is there, that's all you need in order to start installing apps.
Summerboard is the popular choice for applying themes to the iPhone - has not been updated yet for 1.1.4, but there are various workarounds.
Good place to start in Installer is to go to the Sources category and install Community Sources if it's listed there, as that will update a lot of the standard sources ...

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Do I need to change my password and can I do it without SSH?

Do I even need SSH?.. meaning is it a must?

Thanks again.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Changing the root and mobile default passwords is a good idea, but there is an issue with running passwd to do this - I'm not sure the best / safest method for doing the change now.
SSH = it is *very* handy - it allows you to connect to the iPhone via your wireless network and move files back and forth, change permissions on files, and other things that will most likely come in useful for you at some point. Best to install it, so it's there when you need ...

bean22

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Don't forget BSD Subsystem

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think BSD subsystem was the first thing I did. I still have not done SSH as I am not 100% I am sticking with modded phone and will need SSH.

Another question is that after using ziPhone v2.5 for modding 1.1.4 iPhone is that what do I do if I want to go back stock? Is it just a matter of using iTunes to restore? Will that iTunes restore remove the installer and have me back where I started?

Thanks to all!

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think BSD subsystem was the first thing I did. I still have not done SSH as I am not 100% I am sticking with modded phone and will need SSH.

Another question is that after using ziPhone v2.5 for modding 1.1.4 iPhone is that what do I do if I want to go back stock? Is it just a matter of using iTunes to restore? Will that iTunes restore remove the installer and have me back where I started?

Thanks to all!
Bump on the question of what do I basically need to do to start fresh and go back to 1.1.5 w/ no apps, Installer, etc on my iPhone?