Need some help with iPhoto

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kobel1up, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

If this is not in the right place could one of the administrators move it to the right location. Here is my problem, I have a MBP running mountain lion and I would like to move all my pictures to a seagate external HD. I only want to move the photos and home movies and not do a complete back up of the computer, I will be buying another HD for that later. Thanks for the help.

#1 Kobel1up, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can just copy and paste the photos and movies folders onto the external drive.

3. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

My problem is I don't know which file in iphoto to move into the HD. I was wondering can I export the photos?

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

With iPhotos, it stores your images in a database /user/Pictures/iPhoto Library. If you plan to use a different program, I believe the only way is to export images. If you want to move it, just drag and drop it to your new hard drive. In iPhoto, you'll need to choose the new library location.

5. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

I wasn't able to find that particular place you were talking about. When I get to the place where the files are, will they be broken into dates? I want to be able to keep track of them easily and not make duplicates. Thanks again.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Open your Pictures folder, right click on iPhoto Library and select "Show Package Contents." There is a folder named Masters that has all of the iPhoto photos organized by year, month and day. You can copy and paste the entire Masters folder onto your backup HD.

7. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Thank you very much. I still am trying to learn this Mac.

8. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Now I moved all my iPhoto pictures to my external hard drive, will they all be deleted in iPhoto if I delete them from the masters photo area?

Sent using iCafe app

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They'll still show up as thumbnails under the photos tab, but you'll just see a missing photo icon if you click on them. If you want to remove everything from iPhoto go to the photos tab, hit command+A and then press delete. This will delete the thumbnails as well. If you just want to delete a group of photos, select one thumbnail so it is outlined in yellow, then press the shift key, then select a photo from a later date. All photos between those two will now be highlighted in yellow and you can delete them.