Need "sufficient privileges" in iTunes?

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Trying to talk my father into getting a new iPhone. He claims he hasn't been able to log into iTunes for months.

When I tried logging in for him, I rec'd the message, "iTunes could not commect to iTunes store. The network could not be reached."
The internet connectivity if fine - works for everything else.

I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes - got the message, "Service ipond service failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I rarely use iTunes, so I'm no help...anybody?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Your Father probably has the windows firewall enabled and iTunes is not in the list for accessing the internet.
Have him go into the control panel and disable the firewall and try again. If it works, that's the problem.
If it doesn't, then you might have another firewall somewhere that's active, maybe in a router, or third party software.
The reason I know this is that I went through it myself and figured it out with an Apple tech. I felt pretty stupid too, because I am a PC tech. The thing was, I never got a request to allow or deny the access.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Thaks, Hawk. I went in and checked the windows firewall; when I clicked on it through control panel, it stated it was turned on. When I followed through to the next link, it said it was off.

I then went through and physically disabled any program he had running. I uninstalled iTunes and Quicktime. I only got one message this time:
"Service 'iPod Service' (Pod Service) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privilegs to install system services. I don't know what else to do!

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Bump. Any ideas anyone?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well, is your dads account a admin or power user? it makes a difference.
if you know what the password is, log into the admin account and try to reinstall iTunes. if it lets you, then after its done, and before you reboot, go into the control panel and go into users and change your dads account to an admin. that should help solve any update problems later on.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I'll do this and let you know if it works. Thanks, Hawk!