Need Technical Advice on Spy Software

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not looking for advice on parenting or the moral issues surround using spy software and spy apps. I'm looking for advice from people who have used spy apps successfuly. The person that would use the software is the owner of the phone and the service account. If you want to debate privacy issues or parenting issues or the moral compass of this topic then start your own thread! I am the Dad of a pre-teen. While I'm blessed with great child, I can't imagine the pressures kids go through today. But, lets table those discussions for now and talk about the technology.

Situation: My niece is in her mid-teens. A good kid that has an active social life as most teens do. Nothing that would embarrass the preacher mind you, but very active online. She has an iPhone 4S. She is very trusting yet naive. Her parents want to monitor her text messages. She has, in the past, deleted ones she didn't want read to protect her privacy of the current drama teens have these days. They do maintain passwords for iTunes and the social sites. However, there is no way to see what she texts or takes a pic of and sends over SMS. They want to monitor this iPhone secretly. They also want this to be secure and only accessible to them.

They have looked at teensafe.com and mspy. Does anyone have experience with these types of apps? If so, can share the good and bad? Does it effect the battery? How much data usage? Anyway for the teen user to disable the app? They prefer that it not be an app that can be seen or deleted. Really I'm looking for all the details you can share.

Thanks in advance.

Target

Sent using iCafe app

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
I have installed Cylay on all my family iPhones. Cylay has all the same functions as FindMyiPhone but a few more options I find useful: live streaming (audio, video, front/rear camera), remote pictures, forward received SMS, and more. I first installed for theft recovery, but with a teenage daughter, I also use it for other things.

arod2009

Mar 12, 2013
I have installed Cylay on all my family iPhones. Cylay has all the same functions as FindMyiPhone but a few more options I find useful: live streaming (audio, video, front/rear camera), remote pictures, forward received SMS, and more. I first installed for theft recovery, but with a teenage daughter, I also use it for other things.

So where can u get cylay?

That iPhone isn't jailbroke. I should have mentioned that in the original post. That really isn't an option. But thanks for the reply.
I don't understand this. If the parents are willing to covertly install an app to keep track of their daughter without her knowledge, why would they be unwilling to install the Evasion JB and then a the program? Jailbreaking these days is almost as simple as installing an app. I'm not being smart ass here, just wondering why this isn't an option. Its a simple solution.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Simple as it may be, they are not Apple savvy. The parents are (please forgive them) droids.

All kidding aside, how do you explain a jail break to a 15-year old? She just wants to listen to tunes, text all day and play a game or two. She has very little interest in changing the look and adding tweaks. But thank you for your reply. I do appreciate it.

Is there anything out there that doesn't require jail break?

Sent using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Install Cydia and cylay. Keep everything else the same. She'll have no idea it was jailbroken. Heck, tell them you'll jailbreak it for them. It IS as easy as installing an app. You might even be able to hide Cydia & Cylay from the springboard.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
The kid will have no idea that her phone has been jailbroken...
You might even be able to hide Cydia & Cylay from the springboard.
That could be key to her never noticing it's been jailbroken. What are the odds of her NOT noticing the Cydia icon and investigating? I read the OP but I still suggest some old fashioned face-to-face honesty and communication. OK, I'll shut up now. :)