Need to get Verizon number transferred to iPhone that already has number?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

highvoltz

Aug 8, 2007
Hey guys,

I stupidly activated my new iPhone thinking I was going to try it out for a bit before I transfered over my old verizon number to the iPhone. The iPhone was setup with a number through iTunes. I now want to transfer my phone number to my new iPhone (that has its own number already) and seem to be having touble.

I went to a cingular local store, they had no clue. They said call AT&T corp customer support. I called them, talked to an austrailian guy, who said I needed to go to Verizon to initiate the transfer. I went to verizon, the guy laughed at me, and said it need to be done through AT&T. I went back to the cingular/att store, and they said they have no clue.

How can I get my verizon phone number to my iPhone?!?

loopy

Sep 25, 2007
Hey guys,

I stupidly activated my new iPhone thinking I was going to try it out for a bit before I transfered over my old verizon number to the iPhone. The iPhone was setup with a number through iTunes. I now want to transfer my phone number to my new iPhone (that has its own number already) and seem to be having touble.

I went to a cingular local store, they had no clue. They said call AT&T corp customer support. I called them, talked to an austrailian guy, who said I needed to go to Verizon to initiate the transfer. I went to verizon, the guy laughed at me, and said it need to be done through AT&T. I went back to the cingular/att store, and they said they have no clue.

How can I get my verizon phone number to my iPhone?!?
Awww man you are in a world of hurt if it is anything like I had to go through. I went through the same sort of thing when my wife accidentally put her number when setting up my iPhone. I went through 3 iPhones, 7 sim cards and over a week's worth of aggravation trying to get the edge network to work. Ok, complaining over.

To finally get the problem solved I went into an AT&T store and got a new sim card for the phone. I restored the phone when i got home and went through the iTunes setup again. That seemed to work, however I had problems with getting the Edge network to work (it ended up being an AT&T account error). If that doesn't work try going to Apple's genius bar. They were helpful (although couldn't get anything to work) but they did give me a new iPhone out of the deal.

Good luck!

highvoltz

Aug 8, 2007
Awww man you are in a world of hurt if it is anything like I had to go through. I went through the same sort of thing when my wife accidentally put her number when setting up my iPhone. I went through 3 iPhones, 7 sim cards and over a week's worth of aggravation trying to get the edge network to work. Ok, complaining over.

To finally get the problem solved I went into an AT&T store and got a new sim card for the phone. I restored the phone when i got home and went through the iTunes setup again. That seemed to work, however I had problems with getting the Edge network to work (it ended up being an AT&T account error). If that doesn't work try going to Apple's genius bar. They were helpful (although couldn't get anything to work) but they did give me a new iPhone out of the deal.

Good luck!

Did you have to cancel your account, and then sign up for a new account? In the terms and policy it says you need to wait 14 days, and less than 30 days to cancel the account.

loopy

Sep 25, 2007
Did you have to cancel your account, and then sign up for a new account? In the terms and policy it says you need to wait 14 days, and less than 30 days to cancel the account.
No, I still kept my same account because I didn't want my phone number released as it had already been transfered to AT&T. That and I didn't want to pay for another activation fee from AT&T after owing Verizon for breaking my contract.

You might be able to convince AT&T to waive the activation fee and try that route but clear your schedule for an evening. AT&T customer service can take awhile.

highvoltz

Aug 8, 2007
No, I still kept my same account because I didn't want my phone number released as it had already been transfered to AT&T. That and I didn't want to pay for another activation fee from AT&T after owing Verizon for breaking my contract.

You might be able to convince AT&T to waive the activation fee and try that route but clear your schedule for an evening. AT&T customer service can take awhile.

OK Guys,

I called AT&T back, and after talking to 3 different people, I found one with the knowledge to help me. I believe her name was kristin if that helps, and then I was transfered to Amanda in porting department. They were able to get the number switch over the phone no problem. All I needed was my verizon account number and the cell phone number that I wanted transfered. It took 6 minutes after she got the confirmation, cycled the power to the phone and it works like a champ!

2 visits to the AT&T store, and 3 AT&T customer support reps = worthless
Just gotta find the right person!