Need to Lower Prices

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

pete101

Dec 12, 2006
I know a lot of people think that $0.99 a song is a reasonable price but I still think they should charge less if someone wants to order all of the songs off one album! Just cut me a small break like buy ten and get two free or something like that. the average album has like 12 songs so that would be almost $12 for the whole album... I can get it for $10 to $12 on a CD and with iTunes they don't have the production costs of cutting a CD and the accompanying marketing and shipping costs.

emmaonline

Bronze
Nov 24, 2006
It would be nice if they were to drop the prices a little but the reality is that they probably will not anytime soon. They are just making too much money and the current price point does not seem to be hindering their sales in any way. If anything they would probably raise prices before they lower them!

rtaylor07

Apr 22, 2007
iTunes

iTunes is one of many mp3 distributers out there. At the moment they are competing with thousands of distributers and the average price is 99 cents a song. It's sad that their main focus is the money and revenue that they build but none the less they are a major music distributor and a multi billion dollar corporation :) smile and take the 99 cent hit

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Apple is (only) making an average of about 10¢ per song. At roughly 10%, this profit is not trivial but is not exorbitant either. We'll see how people like the increased price of $1.29 for EMI's DRM-free content.

-K

kalilay

May 2, 2007
yeah...the prices are definitely high, but i think its sort of a catch 22...if people would stop pirating, prices would get lower, but prices would have to get low for people to stop pirating...thats just my opinion...i do think the prices should be lower though...but...just like any businesss...the reason Apple exists is to make money

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Let's hope Apple lets us use our own ringtones... that would totally suck having to pay for ringtones (eg via the Apple store) just to use for the iPhone.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Let's hope Apple lets us use our own ringtones... that would totally suck having to pay for ringtones (eg via the Apple store) just to use for the iPhone.
Fear not. There will be a core set of built-in ringtones. You'll have the option to buy additional ringtones through the iTMS. But being able to use your own tunes as ringtones is still in doubt.

-K

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Fear not. There will be a core set of built-in ringtones. You'll have the option to buy additional ringtones through the iTMS. But being able to use your own tunes as ringtones is still in doubt.

-K
I would guess if worse comes to worse, some enterprising developer will "hack" the format (assuming Apple didn't use encrypted-only files) much like how you can get your music off an ipod. My buddy has a sprint phone... you can send files to it and the phone will actually play them but they're not recognized by the phone as "ringtones" unless you change the file extension... otherwise you have to download and pay for ringers. the hoops they play on consumers just to use their proprietary stuff (yeh you *cough* verizon *cough* in particular)

my favorite ringer atm: the ctu ringtone ;)

DaveNYC

May 15, 2007
I know a lot of people think that $0.99 a song is a reasonable price but I still think they should charge less if someone wants to order all of the songs off one album! Just cut me a small break like buy ten and get two free or something like that. the average album has like 12 songs so that would be almost $12 for the whole album... I can get it for $10 to $12 on a CD and with iTunes they don't have the production costs of cutting a CD and the accompanying marketing and shipping costs.
Yes, it's $0.99 a song, but you also have the option of buying the whole album, usually at $9.99.

olafene

May 22, 2007
Arizona
International rings.

You'll have the option to buy additional ringtones through the iTMS.
-K
I wonder about those old fashion ringers you hear in the movies, foreign countries, etc. Like when you ring someone from within the UK versus America. Sounds different. That, I know, is usually controlled by the carrier, but it is my fantasy, and I'm sticking to it. :p

olafene

May 22, 2007
Arizona
The quality of the stuff on iTunes isn't for me.
I listen to a lot of electronica. I like the BBC content I get on a weekly basis, and its free, but I would have to agree with you on the iTunes thing. I also listen to a wide variety of genres, and a lot of them aren't on iTunes; that's depressing to me since I believe in supporting the people who make actually GOOD music, which in my oppinion, has almost gone out the window these days.

alverez9

Jun 4, 2007
Indianapolis Indiana
fair prices

I think they will raise prices before they do anything. Pirating just makes the reason bigger. I think the song prices are fair. I don't think the game prices are fair, they're ridiculous. I find that most of the time people don't want to buy songs they don't want, so buying only songs on an album that they want for .99 is ok since your not buying the whole album. I love music.

nrs02

Jun 12, 2007
I don't really think .99 a song is that bad, but then when i think about how much its going to cost to fill up my ipod, i start to think its probably a bit much. I sometimes would like it if it was like a monthly bill or whatever, kind of like napster.

jmcd

Jun 12, 2007
99 cent bs

I agree. I think that all that does is encourage youths to download illegally. Especially bc you can't pay in cash and need parental cooperation.

jmcd

Jun 12, 2007
napster-esque

I don't really think .99 a song is that bad, but then when i think about how much its going to cost to fill up my ipod, i start to think its probably a bit much. I sometimes would like it if it was like a monthly bill or whatever, kind of like napster.
That would be a way better idea than a per song basis. Think about Netflicks -- if they worked it like that it would even be better.

jmcd

Jun 12, 2007
good music

I listen to a lot of electronica. I like the BBC content I get on a weekly basis, and its free, but I would have to agree with you on the iTunes thing. I also listen to a wide variety of genres, and a lot of them aren't on iTunes; that's depressing to me since I believe in supporting the people who make actually GOOD music, which in my oppinion, has almost gone out the window these days.
I agree -- a lot of the sort of wild and far-from-pop stuff that I listen to is nowhere to be found no iTunes. I wonder how much of that is iTunes and how much of that is the band though? Any thoughts?

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I don't think lowering prices would be a good thing. It'd start a pricing war leading to smaller companies going out of businesss and innovation would probably end up taking a knock. Maybe if iTunes was the only online store, but it's not. There was that Canadian one that was the first to do DRM-free, Apple may not have if someone hadn't taken the first step.