Need ToDo/Tasks recommendation

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by BPP, Apr 30, 2013.

1. BPP

BPP New Member

Greetings:

My first post here. I do understand that the archives have endless discussions of ToDo type apps, but....

I need recommendations and I have very specific requirements. I just hate the end of shareware, where you could try out an application prior to purchasing. I have no qualms about paying for an app; I just don't want to pay for the privilege of seeing if the app meets my needs.

I am transferring from DB6 on my Palm PDA. This was such a powerful app that I did not want to switch platforms. Nothing yet comes close in the world of iOS, but I want the advantage of the world of apps without having to carry two devices. (Yes I know the developer made a similar app for the Android platform, but I will not consider a non-iOS.)

I have settled on Week Calendar for my calendar needs.

Here is what I need from a ToDo app:

-Multiple levels of priority. It could be A/B/C and 1/2/3, but it needs to sort and display using all nine categories; (i.e. I need a view that shows A2 preceding B1.)

-I need a view where events with a later date are not shown. That is, rather than a due date, I need a "show date." If I date something for two days from now, I don't see it until two days from now. A Today's view/past due view seems to work, as long as it maintains my other priorities.

-In coordination with the last requirement, I need to be able to create undated tasks that always show. Again, within priority. Dated items would need to precede undated items, but with priority; (i.e. A1 precedes A2, dated A1 precedes undated A1 which precedes A2. So if I am forced to use the "Today" option, it would need to show Today + Past due + undated.

-I need to be able to change a date using a calendar selection, and not that god-awful date roller. (Do app developers not understand that if I wish to change the date of an item to two Thursdays from now, I shouldn't have to go to a calendar app to figure out what that date might be?)

-I need to be able to back the data up. If my app crashes, I can't be in a situation where all is lost. It is not so important that I can access my data from the desktop; I just want a backup.

-I need recurring events.

-I need to be able to copy an event. Essentially I need some templates, but I could store events in the lowest priority and just copy them.

I am currently using Taskify; it doesn't meet several of my needs. There are also some programming errors in it, and the developer doesn't respond to inquiries.

Any advice for this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

B

2. BPP

BPP New Member

First, I must admit I was a little disappointed that not a single member of this listserv responded. Not a great first posting experience. I was seeking ToDo experiences, something I believe many users would have.

I did find the app that meets all of my needs, and I think it is a dandy. It required my spending $10 to check it out. (I don't mind the cost, which I feel is cheap; I mind the idea that I have to spend money on apps that I might toss thirty seconds after opening them.)

It is 2Do: Tasks done in style. It is very powerful and requires some time to explore its capabilities. But one of its desirable features is that it actually does a good job explaining how it works.

In my opinion, a true 5-star app.

B

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm sorry you had a bad experience here. A simple solution to having to pay upfront to see an app would be to look for reviews on YouTube before purchasing. You stated you don't like the way iOS handles various things but you're not willing to try Android even though it may have capabilities you want? Anyway, welcome to the forum, stick around, the community here is extremely helpful, they may have been turned off by the length of your post and the fact that most of what you asked about is better answered by spending some time on a good search engine.

4. BPP

BPP New Member

Believe me, I posted here after an extensive net search of many days. I read dozens and dozens of reviews, but my questions were not addressed. The problem resulted in that how does one do a search when even the written explanation to humans is deemed too long? There was no way I could get my questions answered via the net, so I tried humans.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I understand, I did read all your post, but did not have the answers to your questions. Stick around, your post hasn't been posted long, someone may answer eventually.

#5 liberated, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014